Should I consider registering as a private candidate?

Watch
Inanah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was a private candidate for May/June 2020 IGCSE and I am grateful I received the grades I needed for all subjects. I have now decided to take CIE International A levels but am not sure if I should consider being a private candidate again after the whole drama with private candidates in May/June 2020. I’ll be sitting A Level in 2022 if I attend a sixth form college but could do it Oct/Nov 2021 (through fast-track programmes which kinda appeals me) if I were a private candidate. I don’t know which option I should choose/which is a better and safer option. What are your views? Is it risky to be a private candidate while COVID is still ongoing and uncertain? And I know A level involves a lot of practical work too, so what do y’all think?
Last edited by Inanah; 1 year ago
rachellouise21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm retaking year 12 and have decided to do online / home schooling, but I haven't found one yet. If you are doing CIE International A levels would you mind telling me which school / program? To answer your question, I would not go the private candidate route since the COVID situation is so uncertain and with a school / program you will be better supported since I feel like there might not be much guidance for private candidates. Also A levels are a lot of work, much more than GCSE and I personally could not do it on my own, but it's up to you.
Inanah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by rachellouise21)
Hi, I'm retaking year 12 and have decided to do online / home schooling, but I haven't found one yet. If you are doing CIE International A levels would you mind telling me which school / program? To answer your question, I would not go the private candidate route since the COVID situation is so uncertain and with a school / program you will be better supported since I feel like there might not be much guidance for private candidates. Also A levels are a lot of work, much more than GCSE and I personally could not do it on my own, but it's up to you.
Hi there, thanks for replying and sharing your opinion!

Regarding your question about online/home schooling, this will depend on where you are living. As for me, I am located in Malaysia and I followed a local online program for IGCSE - they only offer IGCSE so I can't continue with them. There is another online tuition centre offering CIE A level based in Malaysia called vBest. I have never personally taken classes with them but there are many great reviews. Oh, and if I were a private candidate for A level, it would have been a private arrangement but I don't think I'll be going ahead with this. Other than that, you need to dive deep into google to find a program that matches your needs.

You might find these keywords helpful:
Cambridge A-Level online tuition
Cambridge A-Level fast track programs
Cambridge A level online homeschooling

You can also find online programs endorsed by CIE on their website: https://www.cambridgeinternational.o...bridge-school/

Hope you found something helpful! Just dm me if you need to ask anything
thenerdygeek
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi there! I’m not sure I got the answers you need but I’d like to remind you that as a private candidate you cannot sit for practical subjects (like sciences). Unlike igcse’s, there is no alternative-to-practical options available at A Level as far as I know so do keep that in mind.

That aside, i have a serious question for you. Does this mean you sat for exams in May/June 2020? Because I’m so confused, I thought all May/June exams were cancelled this year due to the pandemic?? Atleast that’s how it is here and I still dont know if there will be an Oct/Nov session since the registration office is closed and we still haven’t heard of them. So are Oct/Nov exams cancelled too (for private candidates!)?
Please do enlighten me on this if you can. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Inanah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey there, very sorry for my late reply but thanks for replying!

Regarding your question, I did not sit for the May/June 2020 IGCSE exams. Yes, it was cancelled worldwide and I received predicted grades as my exam centre was willing to work with private candidates.

Depending on where you live, Cambridge stated that October/November exams will be taking place as usual (including private candidates) in countries where it is safe. Otherwise, exam centres can opt to withdraw or defer the entries to a later series. CIE made it quite clear they won't be giving out predicted grades again. You should contact your registration office, they should be updating their candidates!
ilovekitty01
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I received my CAG grades in 2020: ABB, need AAA so I’m resitting privately in summer of 2021. I have no tutor, no assessments this year... what happens if exams get cancelled?? Will I be given no grades (even though my ucas predicted grades are A*A)
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ilovekitty01)
I received my CAG grades in 2020: ABB, need AAA so I’m resitting privately in summer of 2021. I have no tutor, no assessments this year... what happens if exams get cancelled?? Will I be given no grades (even though my ucas predicted grades are A*A)
It depends what the exam centre you are registered with for the Summer is able/willing to do in terms of gathering evidence to submit grades. UCAS predictions will be months out of date and are known to be over-optimistic and inaccurate so would not do on their own.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You wouldn't be able to register as a private candidate for Autumn 2021 until Summer 2021 so I suggest you leave it a few months to see how things pan out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.03%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.22%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.22%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.14%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (34)
18.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed