2-year apprenticeship THEN uni - good idea or not??

Watch
bassplayer347
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,

Unfortunately due to my residency status as an International student I cannot apply for loans for/afford to go to university in Sep 2021 as I planned.

So, I was wondering if this was a good idea - would you recommend that I complete a 2-year apprenticeship/work placement and THEN apply to university so that I am classified as a home student AND eligible for student finance?

There are a couple of downsides, obviously; I would enter university with people younger than me (I'd be 20 - I don't really care so tell me how y'all feel about this) and I would be in debt at a slightly later stage in my life.

Having a university degree is really important to me and my family so please help if you can
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bassplayer347)
Hey,

Unfortunately due to my residency status as an International student I cannot apply for loans for/afford to go to university in Sep 2021 as I planned.

So, I was wondering if this was a good idea - would you recommend that I complete a 2-year apprenticeship/work placement and THEN apply to university so that I am classified as a home student AND eligible for student finance?

There are a couple of downsides, obviously; I would enter university with people younger than me (I'd be 20 - I don't really care so tell me how y'all feel about this) and I would be in debt at a slightly later stage in my life.

Having a university degree is really important to me and my family so please help if you can
you need to check if you can get funding at all to do an apprenticeship before making any decisions, also there's no guarantee that they won't have changed the rules in 2 years time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.52%
No (310)
78.48%

Watched Threads