The Student Room Group

Synergy’s Unfiltered Stream of Thoughts

Scroll to see replies

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is just so entertaining :lol: Didn't expect it to be so when I read the synopsis

Started watching it recently, really missed hearing dark humour being made that openly with no fear of backlash due to PC culture :")
Original post by LovelyMrFox
I was doubtful through the first half but that ended up being a very good video.

Spoiler

That is incredible! My grandma has a similar story as well, which really hints at the validity of these types of things :moon: I think ties into the notion that our self consists of our unconscious mind (that controls our heart beating, survival mechanisms, etc.) and conscious mind. It is just about tapping into the former, like for example through affirmations. Like, there is a reason why many researchers when testing pharmaceutical drugs or vaccines give placebos too.

Yess, it is also predicated on neurology. I do not fully agree with everything said in the video, or at least the way it is presented sometimes by these spiritual speakers. But I always think it is good to keep an open mind, as you have, and try to extract new wisdom even if it is not presented in a way that aligns with our beliefs
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm good, and you? (:
Original post by Synergy~
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is just so entertaining :lol: Didn't expect it to be so when I read the synopsis

Started watching it recently, really missed hearing dark humour being made that openly with no fear of backlash due to PC culture :")

haven't watched it but I find myself thinking about this scene often

have you watched parks and rec? not really un-PC but similar flavour of humour I'd say
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
haven't watched it but I find myself thinking about this scene often

have you watched parks and rec? not really un-PC but similar flavour of humour I'd say

You should! I was surprised with how good it is :lol:
ahhahahah omg I haven't reached there yet that's hilarious.

Spoiler

I haven'ttt. Is it good?

One day, I’ll be able to continue watching it (hopefully I’ll get used to the dark humour when I do)
That is incredible! My grandma has a similar story as well, which really hints at the validity of these types of things :moon: I think ties into the notion that our self consists of our unconscious mind (that controls our heart beating, survival mechanisms, etc.) and conscious mind. It is just about tapping into the former, like for example through affirmations. Like, there is a reason why many researchers when testing pharmaceutical drugs or vaccines give placebos too.

Yess, it is also predicated on neurology. I do not fully agree with everything said in the video, or at least the way it is presented sometimes by these spiritual speakers. But I always think it is good to keep an open mind, as you have, and try to extract new wisdom even if it is not presented in a way that aligns with our beliefs

Very. Ill admit neurology and the like is far from my comfy areas of knowledge but some of the stories that Ive heard that have come from that kind of thing are just remarkable. The fact that it gets put down in the medical community so often is a bit tragic.. ( mum had a bit of a similar success story despite her doctor's telling her it was stupid and not worth any time since it was 'unproven' ). Its noninvasive and relatively simple, whether its proven or not it may as well be worth a shot as a last resort. Well, I think anyways.. But I digress :tongue:

Completely agree! That first Alan Watts video you posted I thought was utter **** until the last 5 minutes of the video and now I find listening to his talks taking up quite of my free time :biggrin:
Hmm I am actually not quite sure :colondollar:
I think I have always believed (lol) in the power of belief? I just see it through a neurological/ psychological lens. As well as the concept of aligning the subconscious with the conscious.

That's part of its wonder and its "magic". Using the power of the mind to get what you want is about utilising all its facets and characteristics, it's not a case of it's either all psychological or all magical. They're my thoughts anyway : )

But I am not fully sure if there could be something 'supernatural' about it as well? Or at least unexplainable by modern science. Like, I think you once talked about how you manifested a box or was it a Tupperware? I have had a weird experience as well and it related to an affirmation I kept on repeating for around a month which made me question mu current stance.
TL;DR I don't even know :lol: But definitely, I have always believed in the power of the subconscious mind

It was an empty plastic soap box : D. I try to pick niche things to manifest because that lessens the possibility that it's something that could just happen by chance. Ooo, I would be interested in hearing about it but if you don't want to say then of course that's fine.

Even going off modern science though the subconscious mind shouldn't be able to affect external reality and certainly not through the use of affirmations, so I do think something else is going on there. I don't think it's necessarily supernatural, maybe most people just consider it is because it currently has no rigorous scientific backing. But assuming it's one day shown to be true by empirical tests, it would then be considered completely natural, even if it's something that most people don't use. I mean, to a certain extent the observer effect (that what one expects to see is what one will see) has been demonstrated scientifically on subatomic particles, the most famous case being the double-slit experiment. And even though these effects are currently only thought to operate on this scale, isn't it true that we're all composed of these particles??? If these phenomena can occur on the tiny why can't they also occur on the macro scale?? ; )

I remember getting chills when I saw this video for the first time:

Right?? That quote really spoke out to me. Have been telling myself lately "I have tried achieving this multiple times, why would this time be any different?" and so it called me out on it haha

Memory is a wonderful thing but I think a lot of the time we use it to our detriment, mainly focussing on the past failed experiences which in turn informs how we act when confronted with a similar situation. I think this is related to the concept of living in the moment where it's generally encouraged you act to confront a situation "without thinking" in the sense of just going for it without analysing all your past experiences. In this way you truly create something new instead of just repeating a stale action you've done many times before. This is the kind of state people spontaneously enter usually when surrounded by emergencies, like the person who can't swim who jumps into the river to save the drowning baby, or those who run into a burning building to try and help those trapped inside. It's like their analytical mind switches off (which if it was on would tell them to not do it as it could potentially be fatal). Obviously the nature of the situation would have to be taken into account, it wouldn't be wise to approach every circumstance with a blank, fresh mind as in certain scenarios that would be dangerous.

Ohh? Have you had experience with that in direct relation to happiness? I am definitely guilty of going about it through thinking that actions will bring me happiness. that is such an interesting alternative approach 😮

Yes, and to many other states where I simply "step into" the role, like an actor or a game. Beforehand I think or imagine the things I would be saying, doing and thinking if I already had this thing or emotional state. I don't think that's too difficult for most people to imagine. And then you fill yourself with the feeling of being that thing and you find your actions naturally flowing from that same place. It's really quite wonderful but definitely takes practice because in the beginning it can feel like you're just pretending. But you can reach a point where you fall so deeply into the pretence that it becomes your reality, like when you're so deeply engrossed in a dream that you're convinced you're actually there. But I've reached a state where even though I know I may be pretending, it doesn't matter because it generates the same feelings and internal states as actually having that state and so knowing you're playing doesn't invalidate the activity or mean it's not going to cause a real-life effect. This would be utilising games and pretence for a positive outcome instead of the classic self-deception that is usually seen in a negative way. Most things have a light side and shadow side, it depends which one we want to utilise.

Yess exactly. I also took it as mindfulness, where heaven is the ideal life some of us tend to be blinded by as opposed to the present.
"One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off
living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon-instead of
enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
Why are we such fools-such tragic fools?"

-- Though I do not think that's what he meant

I love that quote and do think it's closely related to what he was trying to say, that we're all dreaming of some better time far away and barely pay any attention to the here and now. It's fine to have dreams and aspirations of course, but in my opinion they shouldn't mean you negate your current situation, you can enjoy and appreciate both.

ohh? I will definitely look into him and his philosophies the.
Are you saying he is a humbleghuru? (I'm sorry I had to)

Glad you liked it :biggrin:

I don't actually know that much about him but I've known of him for years and seen a few of his things but not loads either. I think I'll investigate more too : D
(edited 3 years ago)
(Will reply to everything above soon)

In the meantime, guess who this is :rofl:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
(Will reply to everything above soon)

In the meantime, guess who this is :rofl:

Spoiler

Honestly, at this point I think someone deserves an award if they genuinely don’t know who this is 🤣😂
Original post by TheStarboy
One day, I’ll be able to continue watching it (hopefully I’ll get used to the dark humour when I do)

Ohh? Which episode did you reach?
The thing is, the characters themselves are quite narcissistic (which contributes to most of the plot) and insensitive at times, but the show itself doesn't seem to be advocating for non-liberal stances if that makes sense? :tongue:
So, like in one of the episodes, one of the main characters was being low-key transphobic, but by being so, the show was ridiculing transphobic comments/ people. Meaning the characters are insensitive, but the show isn't. It's all just bants and satire.

Knowing that makes the humour much easier to view because you know it is all light-hearted and not serious.

Original post by LovelyMrFox
Very. Ill admit neurology and the like is far from my comfy areas of knowledge but some of the stories that Ive heard that have come from that kind of thing are just remarkable. The fact that it gets put down in the medical community so often is a bit tragic.. ( mum had a bit of a similar success story despite her doctor's telling her it was stupid and not worth any time since it was 'unproven' ). Its noninvasive and relatively simple, whether its proven or not it may as well be worth a shot as a last resort. Well, I think anyways.. But I digress :tongue:

Completely agree! That first Alan Watts video you posted I thought was utter **** until the last 5 minutes of the video and now I find listening to his talks taking up quite of my free time :biggrin:

I'm interested to hear in her story if you feel comfortable sharing it :tongue:

LOL, completely understandable. Sometimes the way he phrases things can be understood un very mystic terms, but then you sit down and think about it and all that he is saying starts to make sense
I am so glad to hear you gave him a chance and now are enjoying the genius of Alan Watts :""")
People that call to talk for long bouts of time solely about themselves each time, and get mad when you do not give them the answer or reaction they want <<<

What is the point of calling someone if you are only looking for one specific answer and reaction lol

Sounds very politician like.
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
That's part of its wonder and its "magic". Using the power of the mind to get what you want is about utilising all its facets and characteristics, it's not a case of it's either all psychological or all magical. They're my thoughts anyway : )

Yes, I completely get what you mean and agree :tongue:
*Also that's why I mentioned neurology on top of psychology. Some of the practises associated with that type of thing have been shown to literally rewire the brain, or alter brain activity. *__*
(though not all has been proven, which relates to your second point):

It was an empty plastic soap box : D. I try to pick niche things to manifest because that lessens the possibility that it's something that could just happen by chance. Ooo, I would be interested in hearing about it but if you don't want to say then of course that's fine.

Even going off modern science though the subconscious mind shouldn't be able to affect external reality and certainly not through the use of affirmations, so I do think something else is going on there. I don't think it's necessarily supernatural, maybe most people just consider it is because it currently has no rigorous scientific backing. But assuming it's one day shown to be true by empirical tests, it would then be considered completely natural, even if it's something that most people don't use. I mean, to a certain extent the observer effect (that what one expects to see is what one will see) has been demonstrated scientifically on subatomic particles, the most famous case being the double-slit experiment. And even though these effects are currently only thought to operate on this scale, isn't it true that we're all composed of these particles??? If these phenomena can occur on the tiny why can't they also occur on the macro scale?? ; )

That specific of an object? That is so so cool :eek4:
I'll PM you :biggrin:

Yess you make a good point there. The only issue is that until there is empirical evidence that can't be ignored, it is hard to say because of the law of probabilities as well as cognitive biases :s-smilie: Well issue for me, I can't get into things until I have a bit of certainty, which is not a good thing lol. Wish I could just have faith and be committed.
With that being said, have you had more than one successful experience? Interested to know (:

I got goosebumps, thanks for sharing that : O I have heard about the double-slit experiment and the observer effect, but do not think I fully understood it will I watched that video.

composed of these particles??? If these phenomena can occur on the tiny why can't they also occur on the macro scale?? ; )

Ahh that's a good point. (: It is interesting now that you bring it up (micro vis-a-vis macro). Can also be extended to argue that if the particles themselves exist in infinite probabilities, doesn't our future too? I find that to be a comforting thought, that the outcomes are not limited :redface: It is easy to be convinced that the future doesn't hold many possibilities. Or at least, I think as I mentioned, I try my best to resist that way of thinking. :")

Memory is a wonderful thing but I think a lot of the time we use it to our detriment, mainly focussing on the past failed experiences which in turn informs how we act when confronted with a similar situation. I think this is related to the concept of living in the moment where it's generally encouraged you act to confront a situation "without thinking" in the sense of just going for it without analysing all your past experiences. In this way, you truly create something new instead of just repeating a stale action you've done many times before. This is the kind of state people spontaneously enter usually when surrounded by emergencies, like the person who can't swim who jumps into the river to save the drowning baby, or those who run into a burning building to try and help those trapped inside. It's like their analytical mind switches off (which if it was on would tell them to not do it as it could potentially be fatal). Obviously, the nature of the situation would have to be taken into account, it wouldn't be wise to approach every circumstance with a blank, fresh mind as in certain scenarios that would be dangerous.

Wow. You know what I actually didn't realise that
As soon as you said that realised I was partaking in selective memory recall : o
But, anyway, I see what you mean, that is a smart way to go around it. I tend to find it really hard to shut down the analytical part of my brain that seems really intent on analysing all my past experiences as you've described. It definitely contributes to disordered anxiety thinking patterns.
Would you say that you find it easy to stop analysing? Or did it take you lots of practice?
(on that note sorry for the bombardment of questions, just find all that you're saying quite fascinating/ helpful: ;p

Yes, and to many other states where I simply "step into" the role, like an actor or a game. Beforehand I think or imagine the things I would be saying, doing and thinking if I already had this thing or emotional state. I don't think that's too difficult for most people to imagine. And then you fill yourself with the feeling of being that thing and you find your actions naturally flowing from that same place. It's really quite wonderful but definitely takes practice because, in the beginning, it can feel like you're just pretending. But you can reach a point where you fall so deeply into the pretence that it becomes your reality, like when you're so deeply engrossed in a dream that you're convinced you're actually there. But I've reached a state where even though I know I may be pretending, it doesn't matter because it generates the same feelings and internal states as actually having that state and so knowing you're playing doesn't invalidate the activity or mean it's not going to cause a real-life effect. This would be utilising games and pretence for a positive outcome instead of the classic self-deception that is usually seen in a negative way. Most things have a light side and shadow side, it depends on which one we want to utilise.

I'd say it can sometimes be hard not to imagine the role, but to continue on imagining which would require going against default thinking and daily habits. Though, of course, it is that resistance that I'd imagine is where the magic happens (in most cases at least).

Yeahh that as well.
"But you can reach a point where you fall so deeply into the pretence that it becomes your reality, like when you're so deeply engrossed in a dream that you're convinced you're actually there." Beautifully said *, __ ,*

Yess I see what you mean. Just as long as the desired outcome is achieved, the act of self-deception itself, which in this case isn't inherently wrong, doesn't negate its effect.

I don't actually know that much about him but I've known of him for years and seen a few of his things but not loads either. I think I'll investigate more too : D

Please do share anything interesting you stumble upon by him when/ if you do :tongue:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Laurence010401
Sounds very politician like.

Actually, they are ironically interested in becoming a politician :lol:
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
Honestly, at this point I think someone deserves an award if they genuinely don’t know who this is 🤣😂

:rofl3:
I just spent a proper hour laughing my arse off watching funny Youtube videos (it is 4.30 in the morning)

Like proper laugh can no longer breathe -- that type :"")

And I somehow wonder why I am behind on my studies :rofl:
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm interested to hear in her story if you feel comfortable sharing it :tongue:

LOL, completely understandable. Sometimes the way he phrases things can be understood un very mystic terms, but then you sit down and think about it and all that he is saying starts to make sense
I am so glad to hear you gave him a chance and now are enjoying the genius of Alan Watts :""")

Season 1, episode 10. Liked it so far but the humour caught me off guard. Yeah, the characters are mostly presented as a idiots for the most part. The show itself is more on the positive side and shows the consequences of its moan characters actions. It’s still a little shocking though :lol:
Yes, I completely get what you mean and agree :tongue:
*Also that's why I mentioned neurology on top of psychology. Some of the practises associated with that type of thing have been shown to literally rewire the brain, or alter brain activity. *__*
(though not all has been proven, which relates to your second point):

I mean I think as long as it works what does it really matter whether it's actually magic, power of the subconscious, rewiring of the brain and so on? It has the same effect after all :yep:

That specific of an object? That is so so cool :eek4:
I'll PM you :biggrin:

I've done that with many specific objects and events. I keep a manifestation journal where I write the things I choose to manifest and the details about when it comes true, particularly dates as it's nice to see how long it took to appear. These manifestations are usually relatively trivial because their main purpose is just to maintain faith in abilities hehe.

Yess you make a good point there. The only issue is that until there is empirical evidence that can't be ignored, it is hard to say because of the law of probabilities as well as cognitive biases :s-smilie: Well issue for me, I can't get into things until I have a bit of certainty, which is not a good thing lol. Wish I could just have faith and be committed.
With that being said, have you had more than one successful experience? Interested to know (:

That is true and I think for most people the most difficult step is starting because they've never had to just "know" that something will happen in the manifestation sense. We're raised with the needing evidence mindset which of course isn't a bad thing. I guess I'm just fortunate in that despite having quite a powerful analytical mind I've also always had a lot of "right hemisphere" mental tendencies which has made it easier for me to manifest and believe these things, maybe even my religious upbringing helped with the faith aspect of it too..

See above, I've had many successful experiences and I log them. Don't know whether you'd be interested in doing it, but if you're curious about testing this for yourself maybe you can start with things that you don't have too much trouble believing, such as "I'll find £5 in public" or "someone compliments my hair type" lol. Something which you can conceivably accept could happen but which is still rare enough that you could confidently discount sheer chance if it actually comes to pass. And then if you see success with those things you could start moving onto things which are stereotypically even more rare or difficult to come across.

Ahh that's a good point. (: It is interesting now that you bring it up (micro vis-a-vis macro). Can also be extended to argue that if the particles themselves exist in infinite probabilities, doesn't our future too? I find that to be a comforting thought, that the outcomes are not limited :redface: It is easy to be convinced that the future doesn't hold many possibilities. Or at least, I think as I mentioned, I try my best to resist that way of thinking. :")

I'd say most if not all manifestation techniques are predicated on the assumption that all possibilities exist right now and that by manifesting something we are simply focussing on the reality where that thing or event is accomplished. Yeah, I don't like thinking that outcomes are limited either, it's quite a restrictive feeling and I personally cannot stand the concepts of fate and destiny.

Wow. You know what I actually didn't realise that
As soon as you said that realised I was partaking in selective memory recall : o
But, anyway, I see what you mean, that is a smart way to go around it. I tend to find it really hard to shut down the analytical part of my brain that seems really intent on analysing all my past experiences as you've described. It definitely contributes to disordered anxiety thinking patterns.
Would you say that you find it easy to stop analysing? Or did it take you lots of practice?
(on that note sorry for the bombardment of questions, just find all that you're saying quite fascinating/ helpful: ;p

I'd say it takes practice for sure because we basically grow up our entire lives using mainly our analytical mind. And it never really shuts off for extended periods of time because you do need the analytical mind to a large extent to survive lol. It's a case of constant thought monitoring which for me (and I think most people) was a bit exhausting in the beginning but then it becomes much more natural and semi-automatic.

I'd say it can sometimes be hard not to imagine the role, but to continue on imagining which would require going against default thinking and daily habits. Though, of course, it is that resistance that I'd imagine is where the magic happens (in most cases at least).

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head there. The proof in the pudding is definitely how long and constantly one can maintain that state without feeling like it's just fake. I feel this is strongly connected to how we identify with our bodies and their experiences. I've found a common theme among the writings and sayings of the spiritually wise is that they in a sense detach and observe their bodies instead which I guess makes it easier to "be" things which your body would normally have trouble convincing itself is real/true. Because if you no longer identify as your body then all the limited beliefs tied to it must also vanish.

Yeahh that as well.
"But you can reach a point where you fall so deeply into the pretence that it becomes your reality, like when you're so deeply engrossed in a dream that you're convinced you're actually there." Beautifully said *, __ ,*

Yess I see what you mean. Just as long as the desired outcome is achieved, the act of self-deception itself, which in this case isn't inherently wrong, doesn't negate its effect.

Please do share anything interesting you stumble upon by him when/ if you do :tongue:

You too if you find anything : )
(edited 3 years ago)
Actually, they are ironically interested in becoming a politician :lol:

ohhhh u were talking about a specific person?
I just spent a proper hour laughing my arse off watching funny Youtube videos (it is 4.30 in the morning)

Like proper laugh can no longer breathe -- that type :"")

And I somehow wonder why I am behind on my studies :rofl:

I watched one of those a few weeks ago 😂

Quick Reply

Latest