The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do after Year 13.

I'm going into Year 13 this September and I still have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I wanna do for uni or apprenticeship. Anytime I am interested in something, I get utterly put off of it within days. I don't know what to do. I want a job that's not too stressful, something that's not too repetitive. I do Maths, Physics and Psychology and I have no clue what I wanna do with them.
Original post by deerme
I'm going into Year 13 this September and I still have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I wanna do for uni or apprenticeship. Anytime I am interested in something, I get utterly put off of it within days. I don't know what to do. I want a job that's not too stressful, something that's not too repetitive. I do Maths, Physics and Psychology and I have no clue what I wanna do with them.

I think this is pretty normal some people have an idea about what they want to do but most don’t. I think you should see if you enjoy these subjects this year and if you do and get the right grades maybe take a look at something in these areas. No matter what you chose to do doesn’t define the rest of your life. Some people will chose to take a gap year to figure out what they want to do. Just know year 13 is young. You have the rest of your life to decide and you’ll eventually figure out something!
Reply 2
Original post by Ollie200211
I think this is pretty normal some people have an idea about what they want to do but most don’t. I think you should see if you enjoy these subjects this year and if you do and get the right grades maybe take a look at something in these areas. No matter what you chose to do doesn’t define the rest of your life. Some people will chose to take a gap year to figure out what they want to do. Just know year 13 is young. You have the rest of your life to decide and you’ll eventually figure out something!

Thank you! This was reassuring :smile:
She's 35. So can help.

@rxyaltyx
Reply 4
Original post by Da Real Synergy
She's 35. So can help.

@rxyaltyx

ty :smile:
Original post by deerme

You're welcome.:hat2:

@rxyaltyx
Original post by deerme

im not ignore that person please
Original post by deerme

to be honest I think you can get into loads of different jobs if you go and do something mathsy or physicsy at uni? It depends on which subjects you like atm. Which things did you think you could do and then got put off? :smile:
Hi, I'm at uni (going into second year, undergrad) and just wanted to say loads of people felt like that about their future plans at sixth form but don't panic about circling through different ideas and getting put off them. Just stay calm (I know it's easier said than done!) and explore all different options, you've got fantastic A-levels which will open up a huge variety of employment and study opportunities for you. You may pick something and then switch to find the right thing later- you don't have to pick the perfect thing at 18.
Just my personal recommendation based on my experiences so far, would be to go to university- whether you take a gap year first or not- as you can test the subject you have picked and have summers/holidays to test out potential career paths with internships/work experience/volunteering. At uni so far I have tried a few things out which I wouldn't have imagined I would enjoy job-wise. However of course this is just a suggestion, if you find an apprenticeship/job you want now go for it!
Good luck, hope my ramble helped :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by deerme

It sounds like you need a gap year to earn some money and maybe try to get work experience/shadowing at a few different places you might be interested in.
Reply 10
Original post by historynerd47
Hi, I'm at uni (going into second year, undergrad) and just wanted to say loads of people felt like that about their future plans at sixth form but don't panic about circling through different ideas and getting put off them. Just stay calm (I know it's easier said than done!) and explore all different options, you've got fantastic A-levels which will open up a huge variety of employment and study opportunities for you. You may pick something and then switch to find the right thing later- you don't have to pick the perfect thing at 18.
Just my personal recommendation based on my experiences so far, would be to go to university- whether you take a gap year first or not- as you can test the subject you have picked and have summers/holidays to test out potential career paths with internships/work experience/volunteering. At uni so far I have tried a few things out which I wouldn't have imagined I would enjoy job-wise. However of course this is just a suggestion, if you find an apprenticeship/job you want now go for it!
Good luck, hope my ramble helped :biggrin:

Thanks so much! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by L-K
It sounds like you need a gap year to earn some money and maybe try to get work experience/shadowing at a few different places you might be interested in.

Yeah sounds like I may do just that. Ta :smile:
Original post by deerme

Personally if I were you I would get an apprenticeship in anything you’re vaguely interested in. Interested in IT, get an IT apprenticeship, interested in law, get a law apprenticeship etc.

This will give you money for university and gain you a full time job if you decide you don’t be want to go. Make sure you do an apprenticeship that’s 12 months as opposed to a 18 month apprenticeship though!
Original post by deerme

You could take a gap year, but make sure you have something planned such as work experience. A lot of companies have year-long placements for gap year students that open for applications around this time (most close before January so apply early) so you could start looking at those if you’re not 100% sure about what you want to study at uni or if you want to go at all. I recommend Studentladder as they advertise a lot of placements. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Personally if I were you I would get an apprenticeship in anything you’re vaguely interested in. Interested in IT, get an IT apprenticeship, interested in law, get a law apprenticeship etc.

This will give you money for university and gain you a full time job if you decide you don’t be want to go. Make sure you do an apprenticeship that’s 12 months as opposed to a 18 month apprenticeship though!

Oh that sounds great!! Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Lazarevic
You could take a gap year, but make sure you have something planned such as work experience. A lot of companies have year-long placements for gap year students that open for applications around this time (most close before January so apply early) so you could start looking at those if you’re not 100% sure about what you want to study at uni or if you want to go at all. I recommend Studentladder as they advertise a lot of placements. Good luck!

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by deerme
Oh that sounds great!! Thank you :biggrin:

Apply for your local FE college and they should be able to put you in touch with some companies and act as a recruitment agency, unless you live in the middle of nowhere you should be able to get one pretty easily
Reply 17
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Apply for your local FE college and they should be able to put you in touch with some companies and act as a recruitment agency, unless you live in the middle of nowhere you should be able to get one pretty easily

Thank you again :cool:
Original post by deerme
Thanks so much! :biggrin:

No worries! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest