The Student Room Group

What does a “causal chat” mean in job interview terms?

Hello,

I applied for a job a few weeks ago and I’ve been invited to a “casual chat” as opposed to an interview.

Any ideas what this means and what it entails? How do I prepare? Why a “casual chat” as opposed to just an interview? If it’s relevant it’s a job in PR/government relations.

Thanks for any advice!
It's usually a casual interview where they're fairly sure they want to hire you, but they want to meet you in person to check that you actually are who you say you are and that you'll fit in at the company. You'll have a quick chat and be shown around the office, they'll describe what the company does and what you'll be doing.
Original post by BrightonDunkley
Hello,

I applied for a job a few weeks ago and I’ve been invited to a “casual chat” as opposed to an interview.

Any ideas what this means and what it entails? How do I prepare? Why a “casual chat” as opposed to just an interview? If it’s relevant it’s a job in PR/government relations.

Thanks for any advice!

It's an interview - they just don't want to go through the faff of paperwork, pre-prepared questions, and inviting 6 people in on the same day to a schedule. Prepare etc like a job interview.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello,

Thanks for any advice!

A 'casual chat' is far less a question and answer fact-based session and more an exploration of your interpersonal skills. Not much you can prepare beyond a clear understanding of the job role, the rest is just you.
It's basically an interview but a bit more cloying, I expect it's supposed to sound less intimidating and more personal, bollox, it's still an interview. (If it was that informal it could be a text message 'You good for this job dawg? Him us up!')
Hello,

Thanks for any advice!

The interviewer is trying to set a more casual atmosphere. I think they are trying to see your personality a bit.

Interviews can sometimes feel very sterile, like a Q&A where they score the answers. I suspect in this case they are going to have a conversation about the job see if you both enjoy it and if you feel a good fit for the job.
It’s still an interview, they’re still using it to help decide whether to hire you or not. They’re still going to ask you work related questions about your skills, experience, motives, aspirations etc.

You might just find that the setting is a bit less formal e.g. perhaps they don’t have a set list of questions to ask every candidate and the conversation is a bit more free to flow, or perhaps they’re not going to write down every single thing you say etc.

But it’s still absolutely part of the hiring decision process so don’t be complacent about it.
I believe its where they explain the office hierarchy to you and if something bad happens, then the way blame is attributed to the new person as being the cause of the problem.
Thank you everyone for your advice.

Seems like it’s essentially just a cuddly way of saying interview. I think I’ll prepare for it as I would a normal interview :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending