sophspark
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
They both have the same course structure and links with pro bono clinics- similar opportunities. But ive read a lot of negatives about reading on TSR and a lot of bad student comments online for the teaching of brunel? Anyone done law at reading?
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by sophspark)
They both have the same course structure and links with pro bono clinics- similar opportunities. But ive read a lot of negatives about reading on TSR and a lot of bad student comments online for the teaching of brunel? Anyone done law at reading?
Hi sophspark,

Have you considered studying Law at Coventry University? If pro-bono clinics are an important factor in your decision-making process, you should definitely have a look! I graduated from Law myself and was involved in a benefits appeal clinic run with Coventry Law Centre. It is a unique legal clinic, whereas you interview clients whose applications for social benefits were rejected, write submissions and represent your clients in the tribunal! It was a really amazing opportunity for me to enhance my interviewing, presentation and drafting skills.

We also run Employment Law clinic in cooperation with magic circle law firm - Allen & Overy and immigration clinic. Pro bono clinics are really a key pillar of our Law School and new projects being introduced to keep providing opportunities to students.

I hope the above has sparked your interest! You can find out more about our Law degree on the website (https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-st.../law-llb-hons/) but please feel free to also ask us any questions here on The Student Room!

Kind regards,

Monika
LLB International Law
Coventry Campus
sophspark
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hi sophspark,

Have you considered studying Law at Coventry University? If pro-bono clinics are an important factor in your decision-making process, you should definitely have a look! I graduated from Law myself and was involved in a benefits appeal clinic run with Coventry Law Centre. It is a unique legal clinic, whereas you interview clients whose applications for social benefits were rejected, write submissions and represent your clients in the tribunal! It was a really amazing opportunity for me to enhance my interviewing, presentation and drafting skills.

We also run Employment Law clinic in cooperation with magic circle law firm - Allen & Overy and immigration clinic. Pro bono clinics are really a key pillar of our Law School and new projects being introduced to keep providing opportunities to students.

I hope the above has sparked your interest! You can find out more about our Law degree on the website (https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-st.../law-llb-hons/) but please feel free to also ask us any questions here on The Student Room!

Kind regards,

Monika
LLB International Law
Coventry Campus
Hi,
thank you for the response. I was previously considering coventry, however i cannot move out just yet therefore the distance is too much.
Thank you so much though, those opportunities sound so rewarding.
master1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Reading would be better. Way more respected and prestigious than brunel. If your not going for Russell Group then either Reading, Sussex or Kent are good. Any other university for law if not RG or these 3 are just mediocre or not very good or respected. I think also Reading hosts one of the largest pro bono opportunities in terms of universities in the UK
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by master1)
Reading would be better. Way more respected and prestigious than brunel. If your not going for Russell Group then either Reading, Sussex or Kent are good. Any other university for law if not RG or these 3 are just mediocre or not very good or respected. I think also Reading hosts one of the largest pro bono opportunities in terms of universities in the UK
There are other good unis for Law such as Lancaster and Leicester but I agree with Reading before Brunel
master1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
There are other good unis for Law such as Lancaster and Leicester but I agree with Reading before Brunel
Yes I agree with Leicester and Lancaster are also very good and city university london and Keele. Hope I am not missing any others?
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi,
thank you for the response. I was previously considering coventry, however i cannot move out just yet therefore the distance is too much.
Thank you so much though, those opportunities sound so rewarding.
Hi sophspark,

Ah, I completely understand! Great to see you heard about Coventry University and considered studying here. If your personal circumstances changes and you think of moving to commence University, please feel free to reach out to us with any questions you may have.

Good luck with your applications!

Kind regards,

Monika
Coventry Campus
LLB International Law
username5519272
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
facts id say Reading is much better than Brunel academically, the campus is much nicer as well
ahmadiqan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Heyy
I am considering to join Coventry this year
Can you please tell me more about it’s ranking
As i am confused whether i should join Coventry , Brunel or UWE Bristol ??
RegionalTrainee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did my LLB at Brunel and really enjoyed it. There are some great lecturers there and they have good relationships with practicing solicitors and barristers to be able to offer good professional extra curricular activities that I’ve found great to put on my CV. I would say it is particularly focused on more commercial/corporate areas though so keep that in mind.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to reach out to me.
RegionalTrainee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RegionalTrainee)
I did my LLB at Brunel and really enjoyed it. There are some great lecturers there and they have good relationships with practicing solicitors and barristers to be able to offer good professional extra curricular activities that I’ve found great to put on my CV. I would say it is particularly focused on more commercial/corporate areas though so keep that in mind.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to reach out to me.
I think that I’d add that ranking aren’t that important to firms. It is more important how well you do in the degree and work experience/extra curricular activities. People in my year have gone on to train at magic circle and US law firms so Brunel’s lower ranking hasn’t held them back.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RegionalTrainee)
I think that I’d add that ranking aren’t that important to firms. It is more important how well you do in the degree and work experience/extra curricular activities. People in my year have gone on to train at magic circle and US law firms so Brunel’s lower ranking hasn’t held them back.
A level grades can also be important considering many firms have minimum A level requirements
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed