The Student Room Group

I don’t want to be a doctor

I’m in my last year.

Honestly I realised some time ago, probably end of third year? Or beginning of fourth year that medicine was not for me, especially when placements started.

I kept fighting through it though, I thought it would click at one point and everything would be okay. I read many stories where people have had certain clouds of doubt with medicine and being a doctor that then clear away later.

But it’s not like that for me, still waiting, nearly two years, and nothing.

I’m not quite sure what to do, or what I could do with a medicine degree. I’m thinking of keeping on until foundation year so I can at least get my license, in case all of this is really just a phase.

But is there anyone who has realised medicine isn’t for them later in the process? What careers have you guys gone into? How did you know those were for you?

I’m honestly very lost and torn.

At the same time, I’ve always loved science and medicine in my eyes was a very purposeful job that had a combination of what I wanted, science and people.

It just seems so strange for me to be like this considering in the beginning I was so determined and passionate.

I think another reason I’m hanging on is I tried so hard to get where I am, but I’m pretty sure the conclusion isn’t going to make me happy, but I don’t want my, my parents & all the teachers/professors efforts to go to waste.

I would really appreciate anyone who has been in a similar situation.

(PS if you’re going to bash me or hate, don’t comment. I’ve seen other threads where people have heavily criticised for wanting to drop out, please don’t, just scroll pass if you’re not going to bring something to the discussion that will help me and not put me down)

Thank you.
Reply 1
Okay thank you very much for moving it to the right section. I’m not super familiar with this site :smile:

What do you advise? I have seen you in many threads relating to medicine so I assume you must be quite knowledgeable.
Reply 2
Do you know of anyone who has take this route? What they are doing right now? If it was a hard decision.

Although I understand medicine is a valuable degree I assume with lack of experience in any other industry it’d be hard to find a good job? (Regardless, I’m trying to figure out what makes me happy anyway)
Reply 3
So for industries like Pharmaceuticals you would need experience. I would assume for banking too, i was thinking to do some summer internship next summer in some industries I may be interested in.
Reply 4
Is it possible to get into contact with those people if that’s okay? Do you they have a social media or public presence?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my last year.

Honestly I realised some time ago, probably end of third year? Or beginning of fourth year that medicine was not for me, especially when placements started.

I kept fighting through it though, I thought it would click at one point and everything would be okay. I read many stories where people have had certain clouds of doubt with medicine and being a doctor that then clear away later.

I’m not quite sure what to do, or what I could do with a medicine degree. I’m thinking of keeping on until foundation year so I can at least get my license, in case all of this is really just a phase.

But is there anyone who has realised medicine isn’t for them later in the process? What careers have you guys gone into? How did you know those were for you?

At the same time, I’ve always loved science and medicine in my eyes was a very purposeful job that had a combination of what I wanted, science and people.

It just seems so strange for me to be like this considering in the beginning I was so determined and passionate.

I think another reason I’m hanging on is I tried so hard to get where I am, but I’m pretty sure the conclusion isn’t going to make me happy, but I don’t want my, my parents & all the teachers/professors efforts to go to waste.

(PS if you’re going to bash me or hate, don’t comment. I’ve seen other threads where people have heavily criticised for wanting to drop out, please don’t, just scroll pass if you’re not going to bring something to the discussion that will help me and not put me down)

Thank you.

Hi!

I'm sorry that you feel like this.

Your uni might have a careers office that you can go and speak to. they'll be able to offer you advice that is tailored to those with a degree. I'm sure there are plenty of other careers than just being a doctor.

Also, speak to your professors. they will have expert knowledge about the area and should have some experience about other career options. In my experience they're one of the best people to go and speak to.

Good luck and i hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
I’m in my last year.

Thank you.

think about why you went into medicine in the first place, and why that reason(s) isn't there anymore or isn't still motivating you?
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I'm sorry that you feel like this.

Your uni might have a careers office that you can go and speak to. they'll be able to offer you advice that is tailored to those with a degree. I'm sure there are plenty of other careers than just being a doctor.

Also, speak to your professors. they will have expert knowledge about the area and should have some experience about other career options. In my experience they're one of the best people to go and speak to.

Good luck and i hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you so much. I was just hesitant as I think it might be a big shock to them and I don’t want to be judged or have them think differently of me
Reply 8
Original post by realtimme
think about why you went into medicine in the first place, and why that reason(s) isn't there anymore or isn't still motivating you?

When I think about it, I went into it with interests and passion but I don’t think I ever thought about it in depth until I saw the reality of it myself and really experienced what it is like to be a doctor, and it isn’t for me.

I love helping people, I love science, I thought med was perfect for me but at some points I had thought I’d it only bc I’ve only ever considered medicine, I’ve been so focused on that and brainwashed myself with it, I hadn’t considered other alternatives.
Reply 9
I’m in my last year.

Thank you.

if you dont have that drive about helping people, then id avoid it. Someone like you looking at medicine proabbaly really talented you can do whatever you want to do,
When I think about it, I went into it with interests and passion but I don’t think I ever thought about it in depth until I saw the reality of it myself and really experienced what it is like to be a doctor, and it isn’t for me.

I love helping people, I love science, I thought med was perfect for me but at some points I had thought I’d it only bc I’ve only ever considered medicine, I’ve been so focused on that and brainwashed myself with it, I hadn’t considered other alternatives.

What's putting you off being a doctor?
Reply 11
So, the world is your oyster.

What would your dream job look like?
To echo what has said, you don't have to complete FY1 straight after med school.

The one downside of medicine is that it limits your chances to participate in non-medical internships and whatnot due to limited summer vacations, outside of preclin years.

If you are willing to, and financially able to, perhaps take a gap year after graduation to do some internships in other industries - be it finance, marketing etc etc - to get a feel of what you may like. You are as employable (at the very least) as any other graduate (history, maths, biology... you get the idea). If it turns out that you quite like medicine related fields - say pharmaceuticals - you could always then grind through FY to get more relevant work experience.
I was very similar to you. Felt miserable towards the end of my degree and was on the verge of dropping out but decided to hold on a bit longer. Now I've just finished F2 and am taking an F3 and then plan on applying to GP. I can still say I don't particular like medicine but I don' hate it like I did before. Working is completely different to studying and for me personally I prefer it. What specifically about medicine don't you like?. I personally thought medicine was the worst career choice for me - I am an introvert, don't really have an overwhelming desire to help people and definitely not an empathetic or emotional person. However I still go into work - it's tolerable (some days worse than others) , I'm learning everyday, can put my knowledge into practice, joke around with some cool people and get payed at the end of the month so why not. I think it's important to be aware that in reality is most people don't like their jobs and sometimes doing a job you can tolerate that pays the bills isn't the end of the world.
Reply 14
I’m in my last year.

Thank you.

Spend a bit of time analysing what it is you DO enjoy/excel at and consider an appropriate role on something like this? https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/careers/apprentices-students-and-graduates/future-leaders-graduate-programme/
(obviously, this is just an example of one company, there are many more)
Reply 15
There’s a great Facebook group called Alternative Careers for Doctors. It has a lot of people who have left medicine at different points and gone into a wide variety of fields, and you may even be able to find some opportunities to try out different options
It is really hard when you think you may have chosen a wrong path, whether you are at med school, in a training programme or having done something totally different. We have only one life, so you do owe it to yourself to choose a work/vocation that you enjoy, excites you etc. And it is ok to change your mind.
The question is what to do instead, and how far to continue. Your med school must have careers counsellors that can talk you through options. I’d start with them.
Def complete your degree, and have a thought around converting your provisional licence to a full licence, as this gives you wriggle room in the future. Also doing some medicine may well be helpful in future careers as it allows you to claim the credibility. [look at for example dr David Bull, who has had a really interesting tv life and even gone into politics, with barely more than a year of actual doctoring]
Deaneries have careers advisors who arent about keeping you in medicine! But medicine is wide, it incorporates research, lab work, public health as well as frontline.
You are going to have a great working life, just take a while to decide what it is you want to do, using the professionals that are trained in helping you.

Latest

Trending

Trending