I don't know what to course to take in uni

Watch
Kumamon99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm going to start sixth form in September and I've chosen: Biology, Sociology and Art for my a levels because these are subjects I thoroughly enjoy however looking at uni courses if I want to take say a biology related topic it's required to take chemistry. I hate chemistry and I can't stand the idea of doing it in depth for a level. I'm really interested in anatomy and studying society but I just can't seem to find a uni course that I want to do. Are there any courses at uni that I can take that require bio ONLY? Recommend me any other courses you think I should consider I need all the help I can get
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kumamon99)
Hi, I'm going to start sixth form in September and I've chosen: Biology, Sociology and Art for my a levels because these are subjects I thoroughly enjoy however looking at uni courses if I want to take say a biology related topic it's required to take chemistry. I hate chemistry and I can't stand the idea of doing it in depth for a level. I'm really interested in anatomy and studying society but I just can't seem to find a uni course that I want to do. Are there any courses at uni that I can take that require bio ONLY? Recommend me any other courses you think I should consider I need all the help I can get
Have a look into anthropology- it seems to be a good mix of biology and sociology, though I’m admittedly unsure of subject requirements.

You could also consider joint degrees/flexi courses that allow you to take a range of modules to help encompass your interests - off the top of my head, I believe Exeter offers a good flexi course but I’m sure there are others
h01133
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I do A-Level chem and if u hate chemistry now, I BEG that you don't do it at A level because it will be the worst decision you will ever make! I know for a fact that you can do loads of biology related courses with Biology + one other science/maths, for less strict unis this can mean psychology and even geography as well.
Last edited by h01133; 1 month ago
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
s

Take psychology as it's classed a science by many unis and psychology has some biology to it so I think you'll like it
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would also recommend psychology as many universities consider it a science subject! If you hate chemistry don't force yourself to do it! I made myself do A-level French and it incredibly stressful and tedious for two years
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi @Kumamon99,

I hope you are well,

I would definitely look up Anatomy courses, some universities may offer it with Biology A Level only or you may be able to access the course through a foundation year.

You mentioned that you enjoy studying society? This is a passion I also have, learning and interpreting the complexities of our contemporary world (and its history.) This is why I decided to study Geography BSc(Hons). At the University of Huddersfield, you would be accepted with Biology as a science subject. However, if your main interest is sociology you may also want to consider a combined honours degree- Sociology and Geography BSc(Hons).

If you are concerned about which career path you want going forward. The University Of Huddersfield has a list of careers you could enter- taken from the Royal Geographic Society. However, if the following career paths don’t interest you, by studying a Geography degree, you will likely gain many transferable skills which you could utilise in different industries.
• Teaching
• Research
• Environmental Management
• Planning
• Finance Banking
• Commercial Enterprises
• Travel/Tourism

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/...raphy-bsc-hons

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For a biology degree some unis just require 2 sciences including biology (bio+other science) Psychology often coubts as a science by most unis and it is a lot lot straightforward than chemistry so perhaps do psychology. Psychology was my favourite subject by far, it is super interesting and quite logical.
examstress2022
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm going to start sixth form in September and I've chosen: Biology, Sociology and Art for my a levels because these are subjects I thoroughly enjoy however looking at uni courses if I want to take say a biology related topic it's required to take chemistry. I hate chemistry and I can't stand the idea of doing it in depth for a level. I'm really interested in anatomy and studying society but I just can't seem to find a uni course that I want to do. Are there any courses at uni
that I can take that require bio ONLY? Recommend me any other courses you think I should consider I need all the help I can get
Human Biology or anatomy? They require Biology and a 2nd science but don't have to be Chemistry or Physics.
Anthropology?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (54)
15.61%
I'm not sure (8)
2.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
35.26%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (156)
45.09%

Watched Threads