How many hours of work should I be doing with no incoming exams?

Watch
PlzNerfAsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Starting year 12, in my frees and after school when I have no homework how much work should I be doing a day / night?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Initially, you don't really have to do that much. If you've got no homework and you're absolutely comfortable with everything covered in class so far, you can basically chill at this point. If you're not you might want to spend the time reviewing your notes or condensing them.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think I started using up my frees from day 1 - initially when there wasn't much to revise, I'd read ahead and make notes. At home I'd just do the homework and relax. When more content was covered and as mocks approached (October in my sixth form), I started to use my frees to revise and practice past papers.
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by PlzNerfAsh)
Starting year 12, in my frees and after school when I have no homework how much work should I be doing a day / night?
At my school the recommendation during year 12 is 16 hours work per subject a week.

Edit: this includes lessons, homework and own studying.
Last edited by L-K; 10 months ago
Flk10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It really depends what grades you’re aiming for in 2022- if you’re happy with average results, then it’s perfectly possible to achieve that with just revising closer to the time.

If you want top grades though, you really need to be staying on top of the content throughout and revising for tests. For a year 12 student aiming for high grades, I’d say you should be doing 2.5 hours a night of homework and revision of what you’ve done in class that day, with around 6 hours over the weekend. This will need to increase as you go through the 2 years but it gets you into a good work habit from the start and helps develop your work ethic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.72%
Uncertainty around my education (83)
11.58%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (76)
10.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (92)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.3%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.72%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (77)
10.74%
Financial worries (46)
6.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
6%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (69)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (56)
7.81%

Watched Threads