Golfs and Polo’s why are they so special?

Watch
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
JESUS CHRIST!!! You've dismantled whole front, and you call that an easy service position?! And it looks like it's Golf MkIV!!!

In a properly designed car from that time, you have excellent acess to do anything in the engine bay without dismantling the bodyshell, and removing a radiator should be 5 minutes of work for someone who has no idea about repairs whatsoever!
You're acting like it's a lot of work but it's really not. It's designed to come apart, unlike many cars with the radiator support welded to the chassis legs which give you no option but to struggle for space. It gives you much better access to work on the engine and gearbox if necessary. The gearbox is "sealed for life" so this job shouldn't have needed to happen, but JATCO (a Japanese company, by the way) have a habit of making terrible automatic gearboxes - including all those CVTs in Nissans which failed like clockwork.

On my Audi A6 for example, removing the front end gives you completely unrestricted access to the front of the engine. (Not my picture) I'd far rather change a timing belt or do other big front-of-engine jobs with the car like this than trying to reach down the front of the engine pressed up against the rad/crash bar!

Also makes it a doddle to pull the engine and gearbox if necessary - no trying to lift it over the rad support.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
The gearbox is "sealed for life" so this job shouldn't have needed to happen,
Depends on opinion. My guys say that modern gearboxes could last under the condition you make holes for changing oil and do it like you would do 30 years ago. Their opinion is that the lack of service holes is designed to make people buy a new car, while they could use the old one for many years more.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on opinion. My guys say that modern gearboxes could last under the condition you make holes for changing oil and do it like you would do 30 years ago. Their opinion is that the lack of service holes is designed to make people buy a new car, while they could use the old one for many years more.
Hence why I put "sealed for life" in quotes. If the JF506E gearbox had had a normal fluid change schedule then it would be a pretty robust (and very well driving) automatic gearbox. Alas JATCO rated them as sealed for life and they had failures as a result. People who ignored that and serviced them as you would a normal old-school auto had very few issues with them.
username5395306
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
VAG stuff is built with the "service position" in mind. The radiator support is very easy to either slide forward or remove completely. Takes 20 minutes or so once you've done it a few times.

I used the design to my advantage when I replaced the shift solenoids on my mk4. Bumper, headlights, crash bar, and rad support removed with the rad supported (to save me dumping the coolant) gave me an extra five or six inches of clearance.

The front gearbox cover is right up against the fan shroud if you don't pull the rad forwards - loads of room if you do though

Like most procedures with VAG cars, if you know how to do it properly it's not that bad. If I could've been bothered to drop the coolant then I'd have had completely open access to the front of the engine and gearbox.
tbh that doesnt look too bad to work on, ive bought an mx5 but imma need to do one thing on it i really cant do myself and thats get some sills changed as the previous owner did a **** job at them... i hate liking my jap sports cars sometimes :/
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 7xm2)
tbh that doesnt look too bad to work on, ive bought an mx5 but imma need to do one thing on it i really cant do myself and thats get some sills changed as the previous owner did a **** job at them... i hate liking my jap sports cars sometimes :/
That why I love extremely old Italian and communist designs.
Even water pump is mounted basically on a top of the engine, and connected to it through a few screws and rubber pipes. You could rebuild these old cars on the road.
username5395306
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That why I love extremely old Italian and communist designs.
Even water pump is mounted basically on a top of the engine, and connected to it through a few screws and rubber pipes. You could rebuild these old cars on the road.
well true other than that old commie cars can rust alot ...
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 7xm2)
well true other than that old commie cars can rust alot ...
Yeah, but that's more related to the labor and material quality than anything else.
Although I own two, even driven through roads with tonnes of salt put on them to melt the snow and ice during the winters, and they still can last if you know a few tricks, and put just a little work to it.
username5395306
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, but that's more related to the labor and material quality than anything else.
Although I own two, even driven through roads with tonnes of salt put on them to melt the snow and ice during the winters, and they still can last if you know a few tricks, and put just a little work to it.
yeah im gonna need my mx5 underseal done in spring as i get the sills sorted fun time with jap sport cars eyy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (21)
18.58%
I'm not sure (2)
1.77%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (32)
28.32%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.65%
I'm not a current university student (55)
48.67%

Watched Threads