markr3993
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm starting Sixth Form College in a week and a half. I got accepted to study Business, Economics, and Government + Politics (all a-level) on the 21st and I've been enrolled already... -- these are my GCSE results:

Art - 6 | Business - 8 | English Lang - 7 | English Lit - 7 | History - 9 | Maths (Foundation) - 4 | RE - 7 | Science (higher) - 77.

...but, I got a phone call yesterday from the head of the business department asking me to consider switching from business a-level to a BTEC because she believes that the maths would be too challenging for me as the exam is 20% mathematical based (she will ring me again on Tuesday where I'll be able to make a decision).

Personally, I believe that I would be able to manage as, basing off of all the past Edexcel (our exam board) papers, it's mostly formula based / statistical analysis which I'm absolutely fine with. On top of that, I have a genuine interest in business and it's something I'd like to study further in University. I really don't know what to do. Could someone who's studying/studied Business A-level be able to tell me how much maths is actually involved and how complex is it, please? [and any other advice if possible]
pineapple201
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
During the beginning of year 12 I decided that Business Studies wasn’t for me so I changed to Psychology instead. I did A-Level Business for 2 months before changing my mind and in that time the teacher told us what maths skills would be needed and even gave us some sample questions. I can assure you that the maths didn’t seem too hard as it mainly involved percentages. A-Level Business studies isn’t that different from GCSE so I don’t think you’d have a problem with the maths.
markr3993
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by pineapple201)
During the beginning of year 12 I decided that Business Studies wasn’t for me so I changed to Psychology instead. I did A-Level Business for 2 months before changing my mind and in that time the teacher told us what maths skills would be needed and even gave us some sample questions. I can assure you that the maths didn’t seem too hard as it mainly involved percentages. A-Level Business studies isn’t that different from GCSE so I don’t think you’d have a problem with the maths.
Thanks for the input - and yeah, I just went over all of the past Business papers from 2014-2019 and managed to work out all of the mathematical questions. As you said, what I've noticed is that the maths is mainly statistical and formula based which I'm absolutely fine with
pineapple201
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by markr3993)
Thanks for the input - and yeah, I just went over all of the past Business papers from 2014-2019 and managed to work out all of the mathematical questions. As you said, what I've noticed is that the maths is mainly statistical and formula based which I'm absolutely fine with
That's great to hear! Don't let the head put you down because I'm pretty sure you'll be able to handle the maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads