[URGENT] Should I sit the autumn A-level exam even though I've gotten into uni?

Watch
Kindafed
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So I'm in a weird situation. Whilst applying to unis this year i already had my grades at AACD I was going to sit an exam to improve the D. they obviously deferred it to autumn.

Now I've gotten into uni and dont need the grade. but my dad is insisting I sit it to improve my grade. I havent revised for said subject in the past 3-4 months so I have to cram it all within the next 2 months.

So my question i should I sit the exam or just withdraw from it and get my £250 refund?

Does it even matter that much whether I improve my grade or not at this point since I'm already in uni?

The subject is Physics btw, so what are the chances I'll improve the grade by cramming revision in 2 months, along with 2 other subjects (Maths&Compsci) that I have to revise before getting into uni?

is this bet worth £250?

EDIT: URGENT because have to make up my mind by tomorrow.
anonymous_mouse7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi you can post on the A Level Autumn Resits thread for a more judicious range of answers. However, my school has repeatedly told us that if our grades have helped us advance into university/job/apprenticeships then we should move on and focus on that. Obviously if you feel like you can manage both then that’s up to you but it’s better to just focus on doing really well at university at this point. Hope this helps and good luck!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...7#post90727394 —> the autumn thread
fuhnance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
depends what you want to do post-graduation. Some grad schemes have AAB requirements.
Ibbz124
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Kindafed)
So I'm in a weird situation. Whilst applying to unis this year i already had my grades at AACD I was going to sit an exam to improve the D. they obviously deferred it to autumn.

Now I've gotten into uni and dont need the grade. but my dad is insisting I sit it to improve my grade. I havent revised for said subject in the past 3-4 months so I have to cram it all within the next 2 months.

So my question i should I sit the exam or just withdraw from it and get my £250 refund?

Does it even matter that much whether I improve my grade or not at this point since I'm already in uni?

The subject is Physics btw, so what are the chances I'll improve the grade by cramming revision in 2 months, along with 2 other subjects (Maths&Compsci) that I have to revise before getting into uni?

is this bet worth £250?

EDIT: URGENT because have to make up my mind by tomorrow.
I’d say it’s your choice to be honest
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Totally up to you but just in my experience, starting university is a lot to deal with- exciting, but a huge amount of pressure/new experiences for you to deal with at one time, especially in the current pandemic, so resitting exams at the same time seems unnecessary unless it is very important to you. I don't mean to worry you- university is fantastic- but starting a degree and still sitting exams for a previous qualification seems really daunting to me. If you are really keen on resitting I would defer your university place if possible, but this is just my opinion, do whatever feels right for you. Good luck!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Pointless.

Go to Uni, move on and get over it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.17%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (29)
29.29%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
10.1%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.1%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.05%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
26.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.02%

Watched Threads