GraduateMedicDad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Dear All,

Here is my DS situation.

A Level CAGs AAB (Maths, Biology Chemistry)

UCAT 2560 B2

GCSEs

2 x Grade 8 (Maths, Physics)
2 x Grade 7 (Biology, Chemistry
3 x Grade 6, (Eng Lang, Eng Lit, RS) Resat Eng Lang and improved from 5 to 6
2 x Grade B,

No offer for A100 in 2020 cycle as he has received pre/ post interview rejections, got only interview offer form SGUL

I have tried to explain him all the pros and cons about starting the Biomed Course and then applying to GEM route. (more competitive, costly, etc)

Chemistry is his weakest subject

He thinks that teachers were quite generous to him and gave him a CAG of B in Chemistry, but it should be C/D. I told him that you need to improve only one grade from B to A, but he says that in actual he needs to improve 2 to 3 grades C/D to an A.

He is not willing to resit with the view what if he is unable to secure A in Chemistry, he will be in the exact same position.

He discussed his scenario with his school teachers and they also suggested to start the Biomed route, move forward.

He asked his exam officer at school to give the stats of Chemistry resit for his grammar school and she replied that from 2015-2019 , 7 of the 16 students saw no change in grade from the original sitting; 7 students went up one grade and 2 students went up 2 grades, only 3 students increased their grades to A or above.

He is also saying that in 2021 admission cycle, the competition will so high due to deferred entries and people applying with the achieved grades. The UCAT cutoffs will be increased , making more difficult to enter medicine for in 2021 cycle,

He has already booked his UCAT for end September 2020 before results day chaos, his plan was to take gap year but now he changed his mind and plans to cancel or just will give with the view that he will get some extra experience of giving the UCAT under actual timed conditions.

I have explained him all about the Biomed Transfer route, its competitiveness, and the less chances of getting into Medicine. (I have showed him the stats from FOI)

I have also looked into the GEM route as he plans to only apply at UCAT Unis
(There are only 7 UCAT Unis) some GEM UCAT unis have very few seats and some need to have WAP flags, some she can’t apply like Birmingham as they score A Levels, some need high score in VR

His heart is set to medicine and he says he will do it, once he starts his Biomed course, in September 2020, it will too late for him.

I need suggestion from the seniors / parents of the medics (anyone passing through the same situation),

What we can do for him as time is running short.

Thanks
ATR_7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GraduateMedicDad)
Dear All,

Here is my DS situation.

A Level CAGs AAB (Maths, Biology Chemistry)

UCAT 2560 B2

GCSEs

2 x Grade 8 (Maths, Physics)
2 x Grade 7 (Biology, Chemistry
3 x Grade 6, (Eng Lang, Eng Lit, RS) Resat Eng Lang and improved from 5 to 6
2 x Grade B,

No offer for A100 in 2020 cycle as he has received pre/ post interview rejections, got only interview offer form SGUL

I have tried to explain him all the pros and cons about starting the Biomed Course and then applying to GEM route. (more competitive, costly, etc)

Chemistry is his weakest subject

He thinks that teachers were quite generous to him and gave him a CAG of B in Chemistry, but it should be C/D. I told him that you need to improve only one grade from B to A, but he says that in actual he needs to improve 2 to 3 grades C/D to an A.

He is not willing to resit with the view what if he is unable to secure A in Chemistry, he will be in the exact same position.

He discussed his scenario with his school teachers and they also suggested to start the Biomed route, move forward.

He asked his exam officer at school to give the stats of Chemistry resit for his grammar school and she replied that from 2015-2019 , 7 of the 16 students saw no change in grade from the original sitting; 7 students went up one grade and 2 students went up 2 grades, only 3 students increased their grades to A or above.

He is also saying that in 2021 admission cycle, the competition will so high due to deferred entries and people applying with the achieved grades. The UCAT cutoffs will be increased , making more difficult to enter medicine for in 2021 cycle,

He has already booked his UCAT for end September 2020 before results day chaos, his plan was to take gap year but now he changed his mind and plans to cancel or just will give with the view that he will get some extra experience of giving the UCAT under actual timed conditions.

I have explained him all about the Biomed Transfer route, its competitiveness, and the less chances of getting into Medicine. (I have showed him the stats from FOI)

I have also looked into the GEM route as he plans to only apply at UCAT Unis
(There are only 7 UCAT Unis) some GEM UCAT unis have very few seats and some need to have WAP flags, some she can’t apply like Birmingham as they score A Levels, some need high score in VR

His heart is set to medicine and he says he will do it, once he starts his Biomed course, in September 2020, it will too late for him.

I need suggestion from the seniors / parents of the medics (anyone passing through the same situation),

What we can do for him as time is running short.

Thanks
He could apply to foundation medicine?
GraduateMedicDad
Rep:
?
(Original post by ATR_7)
He could apply to foundation medicine?
Please can you send me any link for the foundation courses he is eligible to apply as what we have checked he is not eligible as he as done three science subjects and has no WP flags.
Daasmugh
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What about the transfer to medicine from biomed at SGUL, it may be tough but its a good option
Humayun786
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Please can you send me any link for the foundation courses he is eligible to apply as what we have checked he is not eligible as he as done three science subjects and has no WP flags.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...edSci+and+BMBS
GraduateMedicDad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daasmugh)
What about the transfer to medicine from biomed at SGUL, it may be tough but its a good option
Thanks for your reply.

That's what he is planning for , if not them he will the the GEM route.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Transfers are never a good option. It's incredibly competitive and you are limited to one choice only.

However, if OP's son cannot be convinced to take a gap year, improve their A-levels and reapply then what choice is there?

He's decided to postpone the (much harder) competition to three years' time, and there's nothing we can do. As long as he understands that it will be at least 2x tougher, and much more competitive... he's a competent adult, capable of making (however silly as-we-see-it) decisions, as we say in Medicine.

Basically the page you linked just stated why OP's son can't apply to Nottingham.

This course is only open to students who are living in the UK and have UK home status, indefinite leave to remain or refugee status (with a letter from the home office as evidence) at the time you make your application.

You must also meet the following criteria:
  • The University's contextual admissions criteria
  • Do not meet the standard or contextual entry requirements for the five-year Medicine course
  • Have not already attended university

You cannot apply to both the five year Medicine course and the Medicine with a Foundation Year course.

If you meet the entry requirements for the five-year Medicine course, you must only apply for the five-year Medicine course.

If you achieve ABB at A Level, choose to resit one or both of your B grades and are predicted to achieve all standard or contextual entry requirements for the five-year Medicine course, you must only apply for the five-year Medicine course.
Last edited by ecolier; 10 months ago
GraduateMedicDad
Rep:
?
Thanks Humayun786

I checked the criteria for Nottingham A108 and they do not accept GCSE resits,

Also please can you help me as the post code is showing as eligible ( we have moved houses, when he did GCSEs we were living in a different postcode , when the A level results came in we were living in different post code)
GraduateMedicDad
Rep:
?
Thanks ecolier for your reply.

What do you suggest us, we we can do as a parents,

I have shown him the statistics for the transfer from Biomed to medicine for previous years
I have shown him the stats and requirements for the high UCAT cutoffs for GEM unis (Very high competition)

Personally I want him to take a GAP year and reapply in the next cycle as I think its a easier route, this will take one more year but chances are more as compared to transfer/ GEM route).

I don't want to force him to take a GAP year.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thanks ecolier for your reply.

What do you suggest us, we we can do as a parents,

I have shown him the statistics for the transfer from Biomed to medicine for previous years
I have shown him the stats and requirements for the high UCAT cutoffs for GEM unis (Very high competition)

Personally I want him to take a GAP year and reapply in the next cycle as I think its a easier route, this will take one more year but chances are more as compared to transfer/ GEM route).

Of course, he's an adult and as long as he knows the hard road is a few years down the line, how can you force him?

Get him to come on here, make a TSR account himself and we'll tell him for you :lol:

I don't know what else you can do - does he actually want to do Medicine?

P.S. It's take or sit the test / exam rather than give the exam. Yes it's exam dhena in Hindi but giving the exam / UCAT means that you're administering the test or setting the questins for it etc.
GraduateMedicDad
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Of course, he's an adult and as long as he knows the hard road is a few years down the line, how can you force him?

Get him to come on here, make a TSR account himself and we'll tell him for you :lol:

I don't know what else you can do - does he actually want to do Medicine?

P.S. It's take or sit the test / exam rather than give the exam. Yes it's exam dhena in Hindi but giving the exam / UCAT means that you're administering the test or setting the questins for it etc.
He wants to do medicine and we also want him to do medicine.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
He wants to do medicine and we also want him to do medicine.
Can he come on TSR himself?

I mean a lot of our users are students asking the questions themselves - it would be good to see what he thinks.

It would be helpful for him during his biomed studies, or if he decides to retake the A-Level, or when it comes to GEM applications.
Daasmugh
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

This is the best option, you might as well put the effort in now and try and get into medicine now then to go through GEM route, which is way more competitive, way more challenging and then if you still don't get in, you are left in the exact same place as you were 3 years ago.
However, if he does decide to do biomed and as long as he achieves a 2:1, i'm not sure on the criteria but hed have to apply again to unis and may have to sit the UCAT again, unless he manages to get onto medicine through the St Georges scheme
GraduateMedicDad
Rep:
?
ecolier I will ask him to make an account and post any questions what he thinks.

I have asked him not to cancel his UCAT booked in Sep 20, and try to aim for a high UCAT score, imagine as he is applying for GEM entry.
Daasmugh
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Although, looking at his situation he is in a very good place. All he needs to do is to sit his UCAT again and get a good score and then to be able to get an A in one subject and if he is struggling then maybe find a tutor for him, because he doesn't have the pressure of having to sit all three again.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
This is the best option, you might as well put the effort in now and try and get into medicine now then to go through GEM route, which is way more competitive, way more challenging and then if you still don't get in, you are left in the exact same place as you were 3 years ago.
However, if he does decide to do biomed and as long as he achieves a 2:1, i'm not sure on the criteria but hed have to apply again to unis and may have to sit the UCAT again, unless he manages to get onto medicine through the St Georges scheme
UCAT score threshold for GEM is much higher than for standard undergrad med as well.

ecolier I will ask him to make an account and post any questions what he thinks.

I have asked him not to cancel his UCAT booked in Sep 20, and try to aim for a high UCAT score, imagine as he is applying for GEM entry.
UCAT is only valid for one year. So taking it this year and not applying for 2021 entry would be a waste, unless you wanted him to take it as a trial run.
St George's, University of London
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi GraduateMedicDad

The transfer route is absolutely much more competitive, as is graduate entry medicine, and you've got much more chance of getting in if you retake an A Level and get the higher grade, and then reapply to undergrad. However - I was in the exact same situation as your son and I took the Biomed route with the hope of transfer/grad med and I'm really glad I did. I knew that it was unlikely that I would be able to get the grade I needed in Chemistry, even if I took a year and retook it, and the Biomed route was the way that I knew was achievable and although I knew I'd have much tougher competition, I knew I'd be more likely to succeed at biomed and I'm glad I took that route. Make sure your son fully understands the risk he's taking, the fact it'll be much harder to reach Med etc, and if he does and wants to take that risk, I don't see any reason to stop him.

Best Wishes,
Lauren
3rd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
14.98%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
31.92%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.38%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.54%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.41%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads