Where will Messi end up?

Watch
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thoughts on where Messi will end up now he has decided to leave Barcelona? :eek:
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would love it to be Inter, just for Conte to call him a **** when he won’t do doggies down the right.

Suspect it will be City or Barca though.
markovchain17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just bought him, bribed him with a pack of fruitella. Easier than i thought tbh
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Likely at Manchester City.
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by markovchain17)
Just bought him, bribed him with a pack of fruitella. Easier than i thought tbh
It's that simple :eek:. Wow.
Spoiler:
Show
I'm joking btw lol.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gtty123)
Likely at Manchester City.
Won’t they end up breaking financial fair play regs if they do that?
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hard to see that many clubs could afford him.

Apparently he's on about £1mil a week + image rights of around £10mil per year + bonuses.

Then look at how many clubs will offer him a realistic shot at winning the CL.

Probably only looking at Barcelona or Man City who can afford him. Maybe PSG/Bayern/Man Utd could but wouldn't really make sense for them.
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by boulderingislife)
I think they would.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Its the most interesting story in ages. It would be great for the EPL if he does move.

There are 2 issues to resolve:

1. His salary would destroy Man Citys wage structure. Ideally Messi would take a cut in base salary. Sponsiors are likely to be willing to pay more for the Messi factor..

2. The more interesting story is about the contract. Imo he has a case, but would have to go to court. neither side are guaranteed of winning. His previous contract specified Messi could leave when he wanted for free.
There is no way City are interested in paying 600m for a player with no resale value and has a year left on a contract at the most. If they wont let him go then he should stay and walk for free. Bit rubbish considering he has given them 20 years.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Barcelona
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thoughts on where Messi will end up now he has decided to leave Barcelona? :eek:
I think that City or Juventus are the options which come into question: Pep Guardiola has still a special relationship to Messi, he would be reunited with him. If he moved to Juventus he would play in the same team with his eternal rival Ronaldo. Both on the pitch for the same team is incredible. City and Juventus are one of the favorites to win the Champions League in every season. From this perspective these teams have the best cards, if it will end up in a move.
Last edited by Kallisto; 3 weeks ago
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
City already did this the last years in the past - and what happened? nothing, because if worst comes to worst, City engages lawyers to win at the CAS court.
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Laughs in Court of Arbitration for Sport

On a serious note, I think City (although I would love United to do it). There's the Pep factor, City want to win the UCL, but I think the biggest factor is that City are trying to build a world wide brand. They might have more money than Utd and Liverpool but they have nowhere near the worldwide "pull" of those two. A few years of Messi will do wonders for Man City's worldwide "brand".
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Messi is big but him leaving would spoil the whole La Liga brand, I'm sure there are powerful people that don't want to let that happen and will fight it in the courts as much as they can, Man City might get cold feet.

It would be sad if Messi became Bale II
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
imagine messi and ronaldo together

crazy
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its the most interesting story in ages. It would be great for the EPL if he does move.

There are 2 issues to resolve:

1. His salary would destroy Man Citys wage structure. Ideally Messi would take a cut in base salary. Sponsiors are likely to be willing to pay more for the Messi factor..

2. The more interesting story is about the contract. Imo he has a case, but would have to go to court. neither side are guaranteed of winning. His previous contract specified Messi could leave when he wanted for free.
There is no way City are interested in paying 600m for a player with no resale value and has a year left on a contract at the most. If they wont let him go then he should stay and walk for free. Bit rubbish considering he has given them 20 years.
We're assuming Messi would demand as much or more money. Let's not forget that he's 33 now and has a huge number of commercial deals on the side. He's got more money than he could probably spend in a lifetime. I expect he wants to be paid an amount which is commensurate to a player of his calibre and brand profile but equally he will want a proper shot at trying to win the CL in the next couple of years. He doesn't have much longer left at the elite level as the key player.

Why would Man City needs sponsors to pay for Messi when the Man City owners can just make up some sponsorship teams to pay him (in)directly?
(Original post by Kallisto)
I think that City or Juventus are the options which come into question: Pep Guardiola has still a special relationship to Messi, he would be reunited with him. If he moved to Juventus he would play in the same team with his eternal rival Ronaldo. Both on the pitch for the same team is incredible. City and Juventus are one of the favorites to win the Champions League in every season. From this perspective these teams have the best cards, if it will end up in a move.
No way Juventus would be able to afford him after having accomodated Ronaldo into their wage bill.

(Original post by Kallisto)
City already did this the last years in the past - and what happened? nothing, because if worst comes to worst, City engages lawyers to win at the CAS court.
Man City won on a few technicalities and also as certain information was time barred. Man City will be in favour of FFP to a degree now as it stops other clubs doing what they did in the past.
(Original post by NJA)
Messi is big but him leaving would spoil the whole La Liga brand, I'm sure there are powerful people that don't want to let that happen and will fight it in the courts as much as they can, Man City might get cold feet.

It would be sad if Messi became Bale II
Well La Liga have already come out and said that they will not de-register Messi unless his buy-out clause is met so looks like you are right.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
We're assuming Messi would demand as much or more money. Let's not forget that he's 33 now and has a huge number of commercial deals on the side. He's got more money than he could probably spend in a lifetime. I expect he wants to be paid an amount which is commensurate to a player of his calibre and brand profile but equally he will want a proper shot at trying to win the CL in the next couple of years. He doesn't have much longer left at the elite level as the key player.

Why would Man City needs sponsors to pay for Messi when the Man City owners can just make up some sponsorship teams to pay him (in)directly?
The commercial rights linked to messi are worth a lot more than a normal player.
Whilst he might take less, then why should he if he can still generate the same money. I dont think his salary is the issue although the damage to the existing wage structure is something to bear in mind. Maybe they will have a smaller wage and higher bonuses or split off the commercial bonuses.

Man city will ask sponsors for more money and they will be prepared to pay for it.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
(...)

No way Juventus would be able to afford him after having accomodated Ronaldo into their wage bill.

(...)
Guess you are right. Both in a team for Juventus would be the best duo ever on the pitch, but even for this club too expensive.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
The commercial rights linked to messi are worth a lot more than a normal player.
Whilst he might take less, then why should he if he can still generate the same money. I dont think his salary is the issue although the damage to the existing wage structure is something to bear in mind. Maybe they will have a smaller wage and higher bonuses or split off the commercial bonuses.

Man city will ask sponsors for more money and they will be prepared to pay for it.
Yes completely agree, Messi is a brand in himself (and something Barca have leveraged off for the past decade+). No doubt Man City would be keen to sign for commercial/brand/publicity reasons as much as footballing.

Haha my last comment was more a dig about how Man City were purported to make up/inflate their commercial deals with sponsors who are effectively backed by Abu Dhabi/Man City owners. It was in the recent CAS case from the information which was leaked but was found to be time barred.
RohanHowl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, with the way Barcelona are dealing with this issue, I don't expect Messi to play for Barca anymore unless there's a change in the board. As a huge Barca, Man City and Messi fan, I would rather see him play for Man City and contend for some titles than stay at Barca and possibly end another season with nothing but regret. The contract situation doesn't look too good for Messi tho, really hope it falls into places for him. Imagine the Messi-KDB-Aguero trio and the last dance with Pep. If Messi's stuck at Barca for another year, I'd be highly disappointed. Also, Koeman told the GOAT that his privileges are over like wtf? Wish the best for both teams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (87)
30.96%
Less motivated (194)
69.04%

Watched Threads