Which uni is better: London University (for distance learning) or OU?

Watch
sodapop88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I want to study a BA in English and I can’t decide which institution would be better. I need to rely on courses that rely on online options heavily because I’m working full time so I think these two are my most sensible options.

Has anyone had experience with any of them?

Thoughts?

Any guidance would be much appreciated since I’ll have to make a decision in the next few days and I feel a bit lost.

Anyone has studied at London University through distance learning or through Open University? What was your experience like?
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sodapop88)
I want to study a BA in English and I can’t decide which institution would be better. I need to rely on courses that rely on online options heavily because I’m working full time so I think these two are my most sensible options.

Thoughts?

Any guidance would be much appreciated since I’ll have to make a decision in the next few days and I feel a bit lost.

Anyone has studied at London University through distance learning or through Open University? What was your experience like?
A tricky one. I would say the OU has got a massive historical, traditional and successful online distance learning model. But you should still check to find out how they would teach and support your learning during a BA English degree course. Be very clear, first about what support and teaching quality you would ideally like to receive on this type of course. Then research and call the course providers, check reviews etc then you can step forward.
sodapop88
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
A tricky one. I would say the OU has got a massive historical, traditional and successful online distance learning model. But you should still check to find out how they would teach and support your learning during a BA English degree course. Be very clear, first about what support and teaching quality you would ideally like to receive on this type of course. Then research and scall the course providers, check reviews etc then you can step forward.
Thank you so much for your help!
There is something about studying at London University (the BA is with academic direction from Goldsmiths) because I live in London.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you so much for your help!
There is something about studying at London University (the BA is with academic direction from Goldsmiths) because I live in London.
Ah, Goldmiths. A great place to study in my experience! But do your research using your key questions!
sodapop88
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
Ah, Goldmiths. A great place to study in my experience! But do your research using your key questions!
That’s really lovely to read! I always wanted to study at Goldsmiths but because I need to work full time to support myself I had to choose the online route. I’m def sending a few more emails to both to get a clearer view. Cheers!
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That’s really lovely to read! I always wanted to study at Goldsmiths but because I need to work full time to support myself I had to choose the online route. I’m def sending a few more emails to both to get a clearer view. Cheers!
I don't have a bad word to say about Goldsmihs! great place to study, very diverse with an international reputation!
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...versity-london
Thomas_W_1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Thoughts?

My understanding is that they offer quite different things. UoL basically sends you study materials and then learning is up to you. OU actually provides proper distance learning courses.
sodapop88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thomas_W_1)
My understanding is that they offer quite different things. UoL basically sends you study materials and then learning is up to you. OU actually provides proper distance learning courses.
That's what I thought, it seems like UoL opts for a more independent study approach.
danielryre
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
OU is a little bit more expensive than UOL I believe . However you are getting what you paid for. If you are comfortable with self learning approach without needing too much help from tutors, etc, UOL might be a good fit for you. They assign a tutor at OU, so more likely there are assignments you need to finish throughout a module plus an exam at the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (32)
16.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (60)
30.15%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (76)
38.19%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
13.07%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise