The Student Room Group

Should I trust it - Stripe Bank account??

So I already have a Santander bank account which is completely fine. I've joined a few websites and applied for online tutoring jobs. I got the place for a few but it keeps telling me to make a stripe bank account. I've no idea if I should trust it or not...
It says that it'll have access to my Santander account soo do I trust or not?
Never heard of it - just make sure its FCA and FSCS registered
stripe is a widely used payments processor, second to companies like paypal. im sure its legitimate but the tutoring companies strike me as less so. why would they need you to use a certain account or 'have access to it'? of course it depends on what access they have but still
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
stripe is a widely used payments processor, second to companies like paypal. im sure its legitimate but the tutoring companies strike me as less so. why would they need you to use a certain account or 'have access to it'? of course it depends on what access they have but still

I have no idea why they want access to my Santander one
Reply 4
Original post by Jack22031994
Never heard of it - just make sure its FCA and FSCS registered

Ummm I'm a little clueless... :confused:
What are both of those?
Reply 5
Original post by exams6700
So I already have a Santander bank account which is completely fine. I've joined a few websites and applied for online tutoring jobs. I got the place for a few but it keeps telling me to make a stripe bank account. I've no idea if I should trust it or not...

As someone said, Stripe is a payment processor similar to PayPal. I guess the question is whether you are happy for the tutoring company to take money out of your bank account, and whether there is a legitimate reason for them to do that.
Reply 6
Original post by meddad
As someone said, Stripe is a payment processor similar to PayPal. I guess the question is whether you are happy for the tutoring company to take money out of your bank account, and whether there is a legitimate reason for them to do that.

True say
Thanks a lot for your help!
Ummm I'm a little clueless... :confused:
What are both of those?

the FCA is the regulatory body for the financial sector. FSCS is a scheme that protects your money up to £85k if a bank goes under
Reply 8

Stripe is a payment processing service.

When it says it'll have access to your Santander account, what it really means is that they will setup a direct debit mandate to take money should you at any point have a negative balance due to chargebacks.

Stripe is just a payment method.

It isn't Stripe you need to be worried about, but the websites offering the roles. There are a lot of scammers about, try to make sure they are reputable firms before setting up any payment arrangements. Also no proper employer would ask for money to register you with an agency or as part of getting an assignment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending