LazLo_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Is it possible to become an engineer without A level maths and if so what should you do?
blackugo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I believe there are some foundation year courses
LazLo_
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackugo)
I believe there are some foundation year courses
for maths?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As above, you can do an engineering with foundation year course, which will cover the relevant material from A-level Maths (and usually some from A-level Further Maths) along with any necessary subject specific science content usually (i.e. physics, elements of chemistry sometimes).

It is important to note however engineering is a necessarily mathematical field and you would spend most of your time on an engineering degree doing mathematical work of A-level Maths level and beyond. If you do not wish to or are unable to do a degree with a significant amount of mathematical content then engineering may not be a good choice.
LazLo_
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, you can do an engineering with foundation year course, which will cover the relevant material from A-level Maths (and usually some from A-level Further Maths) along with any necessary subject specific science content usually (i.e. physics, elements of chemistry sometimes).

It is important to note however engineering is a necessarily mathematical field and you would spend most of your time on an engineering degree doing mathematical work of A-level Maths level and beyond. If you do not wish to or are unable to do a degree with a significant amount of mathematical content then engineering may not be a good choice.
Is maths a level equivalent to the foundation year as i was planning maybe to do computer science instead of a level maths so I can become a data engineer or possibly a computer hardware engineer
blackugo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by LazLo_)
Is maths a level equivalent to the foundation year as i was planning maybe to do computer science instead of a level maths so I can become a data engineer or possibly a computer hardware engineer
I would not recommend that at all. Maths is more important even when applying for computer science at university. I did both subjects but if you want to avoid doing a foundation year or you want to do engineering it's better to pick maths.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by LazLo_)
Yes, the foundation year would cover A-level equivalent maths (and also probably some FM topics like matrices and complex numbers).

I would note that for data science, maths is extremely important as the field is mostly just using maths via computer to utilise large datasets. There is a lot of mathematical statistics involved in data science (i.e. the kind that uses proper calculus). For computer hardware engineering, this largely overlaps with what is commonly called electronic and/or information engineering in UK degrees. As an engineering course, this will be necessarily mathematical (and electronic engineering can tend to be a bit more mathematical than other disciplines sometimes, depending on course structure). For computer science itself, many if not most CS degrees require A-level Maths for entry, and even if they don't you will cover that material during the degree at some point, and usually use it to some extent.

Essentially all those areas you are looking at are mathematical, so if you are at the point where you are choosing your A-levels, choosing A-level Maths would give you much more choice in the courses you could choose, and would provide a better background even for those that don't explicitly require it. A-level Further Maths would also be quite useful background, especially for "top" courses in CS/engineering at e.g. Imperial, Oxbridge, Edinburgh etc, which tend to have quite mathematical courses (especially on the CS side).

Equally it is important to choose your A-level options (and later, degree course) on the basis of your strengths and interests. If you are a square peg don't try and fit yourself into a round hole! If, for example, maths isn't a strong point for you, there isn't much point trying to drag yourself through A-level Maths (as it's quite likely you'll get a poorer grade than if you did another subject) and it's quite likely you would struggle with and not enjoy any mathematical degree course. Start with what you enjoy and are good at, and just follow that thread through 6th form and uni (if you wish to go to uni)
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (293)
55.7%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.3%

Watched Threads