The Student Room Group

Engineering

Is it possible to become an engineer without mathematics A level and if so what should you do?
The only engineering I can think of is civil engineering because engineering is very reliant on you being very capable at maths. what engineering are you interested in? Maybe there are other degrees which are very similar to your interests.
Reply 2
If you want to be an engineer without Maths A Level then you might have to go Engineering Technician (EngTech) route via Level 3 Engineering type of course at a college or apprenticeship with an engineering employer Level 3 or above. Or you could apply to universities for engineering courses but would have to do foundation year.
Reply 3
Original post by Anfal_bangtan
The only engineering I can think of is civil engineering because engineering is very reliant on you being very capable at maths. what engineering are you interested in? Maybe there are other degrees which are very similar to your interests.

aerospace engineering, data engineer, civil engineer, chemical engineering and maybe nuclear engineer
Original post by LazLo_
aerospace engineering, data engineer, civil engineer, chemical engineering and maybe nuclear engineer

For civil engineering, you don't need it and to become a data engineer, you typically just need a BSc in like a science, maths or something business/finance related. As for the other three I'm afraid maths is essential, the only alternative, like someone suggested earlier is to take a foundation year. My brother didn't meet his entry requirements for aerospace engineering, as he initially got a low maths grade, they entered him into the foundation year, and from what he tells me, there's a lot of maths they do, so it is helpful for people who didn't take it as an a level. I hope this is helpful!!
Reply 5
Original post by Anfal_bangtan
For civil engineering, you don't need it and to become a data engineer, you typically just need a BSc in like a science, maths or something business/finance related. As for the other three I'm afraid maths is essential, the only alternative, like someone suggested earlier is to take a foundation year. My brother didn't meet his entry requirements for aerospace engineering, as he initially got a low maths grade, they entered him into the foundation year, and from what he tells me, there's a lot of maths they do, so it is helpful for people who didn't take it as an a level. I hope this is helpful!!

He didnt make it for a levels and did the foundation year?
Original post by LazLo_
He didnt make it for a levels and did the foundation year?

Yh, he missed the offer by a few grades, so they placed him in the foundation year to catch him. This could be an option for you.

Quick Reply

Latest