I self sabotaged myself majorly- now I’m probably going to hate uni and my life

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am a major over thinker- over lockdown I started overthinking everything about uni and my course not being very employable and it being below what I was capable of and so I switched to somewhere different to do a different course with higher entry requirements.

Now I probably won’t enjoy the course because I chose it based on employability and not on passion. I don’t think I’ll fail it since I did get A* in all my STEM subjects at A level. But yeah now basically I’m even more scared and uncertain about starting uni now.

I know I can transfer at the end of the year but I now feel I’ll hate it so much and not be motivated to continue and feel anxious all the time and want to drop out because I remembered how anxious I got during some maths lessons and chemistry practicals and both of those are a component of my course. Ik I liked human biology better I just let my dad get to me when deciding and realised It was the wrong decision when it was way too late. I don’t think I can switch course at my current uni and I wouldn’t want to because the course offered at the uni looks worse than my original uni.

Messed up big time.

I’ll try it out but if I have to transfer and start out somewhere new I’ll lose a year of funding but then again I really don’t want to take a gap year when I have a place somewhere else and have nothing planned. Plus I know I’ll lose all motivation to study if I do so that’s basically not an option.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a major over thinker- over lockdown I started overthinking everything about uni and my course not being very employable and it being below what I was capable of and so I switched to somewhere different to do a different course with higher entry requirements.

Now I probably won’t enjoy the course because I chose it based on employability and not on passion. I don’t think I’ll fail it since I did get A* in all my STEM subjects at A level. But yeah now basically I’m even more scared and uncertain about starting uni now.

I know I can transfer at the end of the year but I now feel I’ll hate it so much and not be motivated to continue and feel anxious all the time and want to drop out because I remembered how anxious I got during some maths lessons and chemistry practicals and both of those are a component of my course. Ik I liked human biology better I just let my dad get to me when deciding and realised It was the wrong decision when it was way too late. I don’t think I can switch course at my current uni and I wouldn’t want to because the course offered at the uni looks worse than my original uni.

Messed up big time.

I’ll try it out but if I have to transfer and start out somewhere new I’ll lose a year of funding but then again I really don’t want to take a gap year when I have a place somewhere else and have nothing planned. Plus I know I’ll lose all motivation to study if I do so that’s basically not an option.
mate you're clearly bright if you got all A*s at A level!
Anonymous #1
mate you're clearly bright if you got all A*s at A level!
Yeah I’m academically smart but chose the wrong uni/ course so life smarts wise not so much
Anonymous #3
Report 10 months ago
You can try to switch courses on enrolment day or during the first week tbh
Anonymous #4
Report 10 months ago

Messed up big time.

I know how you feel, I’m starting uni this year and I’ve been there with the whole overthinking my course thing. You aren’t alone, you deffo aren’t the only person who’s worrying about hating their course. If you don’t like it, I’m sure you can drop out within the first semester. I know it’s easier said than done but try not to stress out too much.
Anonymous #1
I know how you feel, I’m starting uni this year and I’ve been there with the whole overthinking my course thing. You aren’t alone, you deffo aren’t the only person who’s worrying about hating their course. If you don’t like it, I’m sure you can drop out within the first semester. I know it’s easier said than done but try not to stress out too much.
Okay I’m glad I’m not the only one. It’s just the uncertainty that’s getting to me you know :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.61%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
44.88%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.72%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.79%

Watched Threads