The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2021 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Poll

Are you resitting in Autumn or Summer

Hi, I received my CAGs and got BBB in a level bio chem maths. I wanted to apply to dentistry last year but received no offers from anywhere. i plan to take all 3 of my exams next year (summer 2021) and retake UCAT this year. I just wanted to know what dental schools accept resits? I really want to go for Kings, but i havent heard of anyone getting in after resitting. HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Scroll to see replies

?

Post edited automatically
Reply 2
Tbh, it's not that hard of a question to answer. Look on universities' website for the requirements. There will be a section on resits, have a read. All unis are different and change their criteria every year so I can't really list them all. If you can't find the answer, the best place is to call the unis admissions office, they'll know better than anyone.

I know that Manchester allows resits with a catch: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/00398/bds-dentistry-first-year-entry/application-and-selection/#course-profile

As for Kings, this information is also on their website:

"Resits
We will consider applications from those who might be resitting one or more of their school qualifications where there are mitigating circumstances.*If you are submitting an application when you have retaken exams, you should ensure that your*referee includes further information within the application to provide context for the circumstances, and you should submit a mitigating circumstances form and evidence."
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Check the universities entry requirements to see which ones accept what. It's that simple.
Try Dundee Scotland they will take you and they are one of the best Look up Dundee University Dental Hospital they take resits thats if you would like to move to Dundee for 5 years plus
Reply 5
Yh I really cba going through every uni for that 😂, they change their requirements every year. You can sticky my AMA for studying Dent and DrTSRs AMA for being a Dent if you feel like.
Reply 6
Honestly I would if I could but I really don't have the time to keep up with all university changes and entry requirements. :redface:
From the top of my head I know, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Plymouth and Sheffield accept resits. Others may as well- but for definite these do!
Reply 8
I emailed loads of dental unis and most of them take summer 2021 exams as first sitting. The ones that do are Plymouth, Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds and Dundee. Manchester and Bristol take resits but don’t count summer 2021 as a first sitting. Liverpool is the only uni I emailed that said I can’t apply there
Wait what ?!?!?!? NEWCASTLE? Are you sure?
Email from Newcastle:
Thank you for your interest in our Dental Surgery BDS (A206) programme. Please accept our apologies for the delay in getting back in touch.
If 2020 students are unhappy with the grades they receive in August and decide to sit the exams in the Autumn of 2020 or Summer of 2021, this would be considered as a first sitting of the exams.
The standard entry requirements for this programme are AAA at A level including Chemistry and Biology. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A levels, we require a pass in the practical element. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted. There are no GCSE requirements for this programme.

Once the academic screening criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process, i.e. additional A levels or A* results do not give further advantage.

Applicants are required to take the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) to be able to apply for our Dentistry programme. You will need to take the UCAT Test before you can submit your UCAS application.

The UCAT threshold may differ in each admissions cycle as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who apply to our Dental School in the current cycle, therefore we are unable to predict what the threshold will be. Details of the UCAT threshold for previous years are available and further information can be found in the School of Dental Sciences Admissions Policy.

All applicants are also required to have undertaken a period of relevant work experience by the time they submit their UCAS application. This should be carried out in a General Dental Practice, but other types of dental work experience may be considered.
That’s a good idea, I’ll suggest this to MR and see what I can do
Original post by tori7777
Email from Newcastle:
Thank you for your interest in our Dental Surgery BDS (A206) programme. Please accept our apologies for the delay in getting back in touch.
If 2020 students are unhappy with the grades they receive in August and decide to sit the exams in the Autumn of 2020 or Summer of 2021, this would be considered as a first sitting of the exams.
The standard entry requirements for this programme are AAA at A level including Chemistry and Biology. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A levels, we require a pass in the practical element. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted. There are no GCSE requirements for this programme.

Once the academic screening criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process, i.e. additional A levels or A* results do not give further advantage.

Applicants are required to take the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) to be able to apply for our Dentistry programme. You will need to take the UCAT Test before you can submit your UCAS application.

The UCAT threshold may differ in each admissions cycle as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who apply to our Dental School in the current cycle, therefore we are unable to predict what the threshold will be. Details of the UCAT threshold for previous years are available and further information can be found in the School of Dental Sciences Admissions Policy.

All applicants are also required to have undertaken a period of relevant work experience by the time they submit their UCAS application. This should be carried out in a General Dental Practice, but other types of dental work experience may be considered.

Thankyou ! Honestly I would’ve ended up doing the bmat if I haven’t found out.. I’ll double check eith them tomorrow thanks !
Reply 13
I emailed loads of dental unis and most of them take summer 2021 exams as first sitting. The ones that do are Plymouth, Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds and Dundee. Manchester and Bristol take resits but don’t count summer 2021 as a first sitting. Liverpool is the only uni I emailed that said I can’t apply there

please can you post emails from Sheffield and Plymouth as well. Really reassured me with the Newcastle email. Much appreciated
Original post by ilovekitty01
Thankyou ! Honestly I would’ve ended up doing the bmat if I haven’t found out.. I’ll double check eith them tomorrow thanks !

You’re welcome!!!
Original post by Nik2904
please can you post emails from Sheffield and Plymouth as well. Really reassured me with the Newcastle email. Much appreciated

I called Plymouth because they would answer my emails but I emailed them again to see if they would reply. On the phone they said that I can take my exams in summer 2021 and they would count it as a first sitting. Sheffield said:

Providing you meet the minimum entry requirements for the BDS course in 2021, then your application will be considered in competition with other applicants.
Reply 16
I called Plymouth because they would answer my emails but I emailed them again to see if they would reply. On the phone they said that I can take my exams in summer 2021 and they would count it as a first sitting. Sheffield said:

Providing you meet the minimum entry requirements for the BDS course in 2021, then your application will be considered in competition with other applicants.

I have been preparing to take Chemistry this autumn and other two in Summer.Also need to do UCAT in the next three weeks. Do you suggest taking all three next year and just focus on UCAT ?
Take them next year if your applying to universities that wouldn’t mind you doing them in summer . Not really much point stressing yourself out trying to revise for the autumn ones !
How much work experience has everyone got?
Original post by Nik2904
I have been preparing to take Chemistry this autumn and other two in Summer.Also need to do UCAT in the next three weeks. Do you suggest taking all three next year and just focus on UCAT ?

I would take 3 all next year. By taking chemistry in the autumn you might compromise ur ucat and it’s just a lot of stress

Latest