Advice urgently needed.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've been having a quarter-life crisis since January and I haven't felt truly happy since December. I've just left school having received my A-Level grades a fortnight ago. Despite receiving 3A*s and finally knowing what course I want to do at university I feel so depressed every day knowing that I'll be heading off to university in September. My life will start to slip away and within four years I'll have graduated and be stuck in a job with no chance to live a life outside of education. I feel unaccomplished and I want to take a gap year to do something for myself, not for school, or for grades. But with COVID I feel so much pressure from classmates and teachers to plunge into a stress-ridden university experience. I know I want to go to university in my life, I love learning, but I'm nowhere near as excited to start next month as all of my friends are. I feel as if worries surrounding my mental health, COVID, and rushing my life are holding me back from fully committing.

Sorry for the ramble. Would deferring be a good idea in the current circumstances? I won't need to sit any exams but I'd love to work, build up my CV, perhaps volunteer at local charity shops if they're looking for help and take on some personal projects at home. I'm also considering reapplying too to keep my options open (I changed course after I'd chosen my universities, although I understand the concerns surrounding increased competition etc.). I'd really like to stay in Germany or maybe France for a few months during spring/summer too, no long haul travel though.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. I'd also greatly appreciate any tips on how to handle stress, consistent negative thoughts, and how to generally build self-esteem. Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this.
Scottishlad888
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Talk with your GP
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You are very kind heart
What will you major in university?
What's your ambition after graduation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (549)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (665)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.26%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.52%

Watched Threads