How important are first time passes with the ACA for future job prospects

Watch
manu10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How important is it to pass all ACA exams first time for gaining potential jobs in the future

Obviously you'll be able to get a job even without first time passes. But what about if you want to go into the more analyst/investing roles

I don't really know what I'd like to do after I pass my ACA but my firm (big4) have given us a free resit if we fail any of our prof exams coming up due to the Covid situation

I've also left it so late that I can only guarantee passing 2 out of 3 of my exams coming up and resigned myself to failing one.

Would it potentially effect my chances of moving within he firm as well into maybe a Corp finance role or consulting role

Thanks guys
K1NE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by manu10)
How important is it to pass all ACA exams first time for gaining potential jobs in the future

Obviously you'll be able to get a job even without first time passes. But what about if you want to go into the more analyst/investing roles

I don't really know what I'd like to do after I pass my ACA but my firm (big4) have given us a free resit if we fail any of our prof exams coming up due to the Covid situation

I've also left it so late that I can only guarantee passing 2 out of 3 of my exams coming up and resigned myself to failing one.

Would it potentially effect my chances of moving within he firm as well into maybe a Corp finance role or consulting role

Thanks guys
I've asked this question before. Reply I got was that first time passes do help for highly competitive jobs and does seem impressive. Some employers ask for them and some don't really care. If you don't get first time passes and they question you, maybe just have a reason for what happened in that one exam ? I don't see it being a major issue and further on in your career no-one cares or even asks.

Maybe your first job out of Big4, first time passes is a question that could come up (doesn't always come up) . Given you want to go into Corp finance depending on how many people apply for the position etc... it could be a deciding factor between you and another candidate (As sad as it sounds) but that's a hypothetical scenario. I'm sure you have a strong C.V and background anyway with your school grades/ uni grades, ACA and Big4 background. So just trying to reiterate that you already have a lot going for you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you can get first time passes it's a nice to have but if you can't then it's fine too. You'll honestly do just fine considering you'll have an ACA and you've worked in Big 4. Focus on just doing your best for the exams.

Bit of a personal opinion but tbh, if people choose candidates based on first time passes, then chances are working there is going to be miserable. To me it's been a red flag in interviews. Judging someone on their exam ability is a flawed judgement. This is just going off the fact I do have first time passes but not trying to glorify it, more so just trying to say, I personally wouldn't that places emphasis on first time passes.
manu10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by K1NE)
I've asked this question before. Reply I got was that first time passes do help for highly competitive jobs and does seem impressive. Some employers ask for them and some don't really care. If you don't get first time passes and they question you, maybe just have a reason for what happened in that one exam ? I don't see it being a major issue and further on in your career no-one cares or even asks.

Maybe your first job out of Big4, first time passes is a question that could come up (doesn't always come up) . Given you want to go into Corp finance depending on how many people apply for the position etc... it could be a deciding factor between you and another candidate (As sad as it sounds) but that's a hypothetical scenario. I'm sure you have a strong C.V and background anyway with your school grades/ uni grades, ACA and Big4 background. So just trying to reiterate that you already have a lot going for you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you can get first time passes it's a nice to have but if you can't then it's fine too. You'll honestly do just fine considering you'll have an ACA and you've worked in Big 4. Focus on just doing your best for the exams.

Bit of a personal opinion but tbh, if people choose candidates based on first time passes, then chances are working there is going to be miserable. To me it's been a red flag in interviews. Judging someone on their exam ability is a flawed judgement. This is just going off the fact I do have first time passes but not trying to glorify it, more so just trying to say, I personally wouldn't that places emphasis on first time passes.
Bro this is a great reply. Really informative and I agree with pretty much everything you've said

Defo could be something that comes up as a deciding factor in highly competitive jobs like you've said but then would I want to work somewhere like that in the first place? Probably not

Thanks for putting my mind at ease , really appreciate it 😂👍
K1NE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by manu10)
Bro this is a great reply. Really informative and I agree with pretty much everything you've said

Defo could be something that comes up as a deciding factor in highly competitive jobs like you've said but then would I want to work somewhere like that in the first place? Probably not

Thanks for putting my mind at ease , really appreciate it 😂👍
No worries. I know the thought of first time passes goes through an ACA trainees mind and adds to the pressure but don't worry about it too much. Just do your best in the exams. Do everything you can to pass, so you can forget about that module and move onto the next one.

The exams are hard as they are, no reason to add even more pressure on thinking it's the end of the world if you don't get first time passes. I've met financial controllers, partners, managers who are doing well for themselves and didn't get first time passes. Even if there's a really competitive job you're going for, there's a hundred other reasons than first time passes why you might be suitable for the job, could be personality, relevant work experience etc...

Also, further down the line your experience is what counts. No-one will ask if you have first time passes. They'll be interested to know what you've been doing relevant to that particular role. First time passes is just something generally asked for newly qualified (NQ) or NQ +2 years experience (at most) I believe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (0)
0%
Less motivated (1)
100%

Watched Threads