The Student Room Group

Keele University to Manchester Metropolitan second year transfer

I've completed a year of Chemistry and Physics at Keele and although I enjoyed my first year in*halls*on campus, I know I much prefer big cities and am worried about the next 2 years living in Newcastle-under-Lyme. I got the impression the area is quite small/maybe*dull, more of a old people pub vibe than exciting student nightlife.*

I'd transfer to MMU, London Metropolitan or potentially another city uni I haven't phoned yet. I would have to change to pure chem but I was planning on doing that at the start or end of this year at Keele anyway (then my degree would change to either chem with physics or just pure chem).*

At Keele:

-I already know my lectures/course mates*(I'm a bit worried about not having people to ask about content I don't understand)*

-I will be able to continue doing my dual degree

-I might have a more boring 2 years but am guaranteed a year abroad*

Tansferring:

-I might get a more exciting 2 years but maybe not the year abroad*

-I might find people more into going out/doing social things

I've been jealous of friends moving to Liverpool/London, but*wasn't unhappy while at keele and maybe haven't given the area a proper chance.

I'm just trying to work out what to do, any advice / sharing of similar experiences would be really nice!*
Thanks guys*

TLDR:*I've been looking forward to an exciting*uni experience for years, however*I don't want to go to a bad uni/get bad grades just because it's in a more fun place. Should I transfer?*
First, check that you meet Man Met's entry requirements - both A level and GCSE - in full.
If you dont meet this then its unlikely that they will take you - ie. they wouldn't have taken you for their own first year, so why should they now accept you mid-degree on possibly an entirely different degree.

If you try to switch to a single subject degree its likely you wont have covered enough Chem or Physics to switch to their single subject degree, they may simply say No or only be able to consider you for year 1 entry. Thats an extra year's debt.

If you think you do meet their requirements, you need to email the Uni with full details of all your qualifications (A level and GCSE, and your first year transcript). They will then tell you if its worth your applying through UCAS for 2nd year entry, or if they have a space at this late stage on a single subject degree for a year 1 restart.

Reasons for them saying No - incompatible course units between the two degrees, no space on the 2nd year cohort, weak A levels, weak first year results, or that they dont consider transfers at all.

Something for you to think about - you could be transferring to an entirely new Uni mid-degree in a covid-restrictions year.
Think about the reality of that. Friendships, life in Halls or whatever, much of your course online, etc etc.
And think about having to catch-up on academic areas that you have not covered, alongside the increased work-load of year 2.

On the other hand you could stay at Keele, a Uni that your know, and make a go of it.
Year Abroad - adds heaps to your CV as far as future employers are concerned, and its a fabulous, life-changing experience. You might be able to do that YA at a city based Uni. It sounds to me that you are more unhappy with 'subject' than the Uni - why dont you email tutors at Keele now and find out if you can set things in motion for changing courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending