student2004
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For those of yous that are doing English literature or have done English literature, can you please give me tips as to what I should look out for when I’m starting the courses
charlieday1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely try to read the texts in advance or if its a play try and watch it as it definitely helps to give you a better idea of the source that you're reading. Also, its quite useful to do some slight reading surrounding the context of the book/play as it can help you make some strong analysis or just make it much clearer. For example, I studied The Kite Runner for English Lit and I didn't know much about Afghanistan culture or religion prior to reading but a couple of weeks in I decided to do a little research project and it did make things much clearer. Hope that helps or gives you a bit of a starting place. Have fun as well and don't hesitate to message me if you need any more help or advice.
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
- Read all the texts, make summary sheets on each chapter so you’re familiar with each chapter and it makes it easier to remember.
- make flash cards + mind maps of themes & analysis of quotes so that in exams you’re already hitting your AOS.
- my teacher allows us to watch the movies of the books we’ve read but be careful because some of the scenes in the movies aren’t accurate but this helps u memorise what happens & acknowledge the characters personality traits.
- use highlighters + sticky notes in your book for certain quotes etc or important parts in the book.
ohemaax
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
READ YOUR BOOK. sorry for the caps but read your books. Don't just read spark notes.... make your own chapter summary notes! Even if you read with your class, go home and re-read the book. I just finished my A-Levels and all I can really say is read your book, again and again. Re-reading will also help you to make new annotations. As you read your book again, you may pick up something you didn't find before, or even have an alternative view of something.
For coursework, read your coursework book, and research everything relating to your essay question. Also, give your teacher essays to mark!!!
If you need any textbooks, msg me I'm selling some
Last edited by ohemaax; 1 month ago
student2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlieday1)
Definitely try to read the texts in advance or if its a play try and watch it as it definitely helps to give you a better idea of the source that you're reading. Also, its quite useful to do some slight reading surrounding the context of the book/play as it can help you make some strong analysis or just make it much clearer. For example, I studied The Kite Runner for English Lit and I didn't know much about Afghanistan culture or religion prior to reading but a couple of weeks in I decided to do a little research project and it did make things much clearer. Hope that helps or gives you a bit of a starting place. Have fun as well and don't hesitate to message me if you need any more help or advice.
Thank you so much❤️
student2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohemaax)
READ YOUR BOOK. sorry for the caps but read your books. Don't just read spark notes.... make your own chapter summary notes! Even if you read with your class, go home and re-read the book. I just finished my A-Levels and all I can really say is read your book, again and again. Re-reading will also help you to make new annotations. As you read your book again, you may pick up something you didn't find before, or even have an alternative view of something.
For coursework, read your coursework book, and research everything relating to your essay question. Also, give your teacher essays to mark!!!
If you need any textbooks, msg me I'm selling some
Yeah I’m currently nearly finished with the current book I’m reading.

Thanks for the advice x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.71%
I'm not sure (16)
3.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.79%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.61%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46.21%

Watched Threads