Have my muscles got weaker or is it just me?

Watch
Bvbfan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I know in al likelihood I'm worrying over nothing here, but I'm a bit concerned that I have lost strength in my arms, in particular my biceps. I was first concerned when I arm wrestled my friend a few weeks ago. Usually I beat him really easily like within 1 second. But this time it took me like 5 seconds to win and the first 2 seconds were really even. I know this is probably nothing like my arm could have been in a bad postition but I'm still worrying a bit. When I tense my bicep muscles, they don't really feel solid like they used to, they feel a little bit more movable. And not that I have ever played loads of attention to it but they look a little smaller than they once did. Now before I go any further I should note that before this whole quarantine thing I was going to the gym a couple of times a week consistently. I would always work my biceps in the gym. And I know from experience that if I have ever gone more than 10 days without going to the gym I can actually feel very slight but noticeable decreases in my strength. Since quarantine started, I haven't been to the gym at all so I understand naturally I'm gonna have some decreases in strength. It's a weird feeling I'm not sure if anyone else gets it, when you go to the gym regularly and then you don't go for like 2 weeks you can actually feel your muscles shrink. Only a little but it's noticeable. That's kind of how I feel now which I guess is kind of normal. I don't have any feel weak doing easy things like lifting a kettle or anything but I do feel like I'm not at my peak. Is this normal? Can anyone else relate to this at all? I'm a keen tennis player and was playing loads before quarantine and in the last 2 months I've started playing again, I don't feel any weaker when I'm playing tennis which I guess is reassuring but I can't help but be a bit concerned. I guess I'll start doing some strength training from home and see if I can make any improvements.
chloeebrown09
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bvbfan)
I know in al likelihood I'm worrying over nothing here, but I'm a bit concerned that I have lost strength in my arms, in particular my biceps. I was first concerned when I arm wrestled my friend a few weeks ago. Usually I beat him really easily like within 1 second. But this time it took me like 5 seconds to win and the first 2 seconds were really even. I know this is probably nothing like my arm could have been in a bad postition but I'm still worrying a bit. When I tense my bicep muscles, they don't really feel solid like they used to, they feel a little bit more movable. And not that I have ever played loads of attention to it but they look a little smaller than they once did. Now before I go any further I should note that before this whole quarantine thing I was going to the gym a couple of times a week consistently. I would always work my biceps in the gym. And I know from experience that if I have ever gone more than 10 days without going to the gym I can actually feel very slight but noticeable decreases in my strength. Since quarantine started, I haven't been to the gym at all so I understand naturally I'm gonna have some decreases in strength. It's a weird feeling I'm not sure if anyone else gets it, when you go to the gym regularly and then you don't go for like 2 weeks you can actually feel your muscles shrink. Only a little but it's noticeable. That's kind of how I feel now which I guess is kind of normal. I don't have any feel weak doing easy things like lifting a kettle or anything but I do feel like I'm not at my peak. Is this normal? Can anyone else relate to this at all? I'm a keen tennis player and was playing loads before quarantine and in the last 2 months I've started playing again, I don't feel any weaker when I'm playing tennis which I guess is reassuring but I can't help but be a bit concerned. I guess I'll start doing some strength training from home and see if I can make any improvements.
yeah your muscles probably have became a bit smaller and/or weaker. i know when before covid i was fit and in pretty good shape and now i feel like my arms are 'mushier' and softer. if that makes sense. before covid they were hard and rough feeling. i have lost some of my muscle from doing nothing the past couple of monthes. and whereas before covid-19 i could run steadily for about 2 hours without needing a break, now i can only run for about 30 minutes without a break. its a big difference, but even the small amount of time can inpact your body. i hope once you get back to the gym you can see the difference! xx
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Muscle's don't lose strength after 10 days, that is all in your head. They start to breakdown very slowly after 3 weeks and even that can be minimized with adequate protein. Also, arm wrestling your friend is not a good gauge of your arm strength.
Shadbury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
Muscle's don't lose strength after 10 days, that is all in your head. They start to breakdown very slowly after 3 weeks and even that can be minimized with adequate protein. Also, arm wrestling your friend is not a good gauge of your arm strength.
Dax has put it really well, personally I’ve lost most of my gains over quarantine lmaooo but I recommend using manageable weights extensively and intensively to get some blood pumping instead of big weights for a couple days

This might not work so anybody feel free to tell me if this is a dead method haha
Last edited by Shadbury; 3 weeks ago
Untitled999999
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Muscles can 100% lose strength after 10 days. If you were squatting every other day for months and then stop for 10 days you are not going to be able to come back and match your 1RM.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Untitled999999)
Muscles can 100% lose strength after 10 days. If you were squatting every other day for months and then stop for 10 days you are not going to be able to come back and match your 1RM.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28328712/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21771261/
A video if you prefer to watch rather than read:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0vHR2mAw2U
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You would probably set a new 1rm actually haha. It would act as a deload.
Untitled999999
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
You would probably set a new 1rm actually haha. It would act as a deload.
😂😂😂 and that’s why top powerlifters sit on their sofa 10 days before a meet
Untitled999999
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ybo1TwMnLI
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unrelated to what I said. This video does not prove that u lose strength after 10 days.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
😂😂😂 and that’s why top powerlifters sit on their sofa 10 days before a meet
I hope you realize that Nutritionist is a powerlifter.
Untitled999999
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I hope you realize that Nutritionist is a powerlifter.
So am I
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So am I
Never said it would be optimal. But if you squatted every other day for months, like you said, then did nothing for 10 days it would certainly work as a deload. I’d definitely rather do that than continue to squat every other day up until testing 1rm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (22)
22.92%
No (74)
77.08%

Watched Threads