The Student Room Group

Genetics Degree

Hi, I am currently interested in genetics and antibiotics. I am holding an undergraduate biomedical genetics. I am looking forward to doing a postgrad. Which course is recommended if I want to study about resistance and can I apply with my genetics degree?
Hey, I did a genetics undergraduate and postgraduate degree :smile: Feel free to message me with specific questions
Original post by CTLeafez
Hey, I did a genetics undergraduate and postgraduate degree :smile: Feel free to message me with specific questions

Hi, I want to know what is the job range for the degrees. Will I be able to work to make vaccines or create antibiotics with genetics degree? Or would I have to pursue another degree such as biochemical engineering?
Original post by veerapattras
Hi, I want to know what is the job range for the degrees. Will I be able to work to make vaccines or create antibiotics with genetics degree? Or would I have to pursue another degree such as biochemical engineering?

Job range - the two main avenues you can go down are academic (scientific research) and industry (working for big pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology companies).

honestly once you’ve got your degree (with a decent classification from a decent uni), the scientific world is your oyster. However, you’re unlikely to see much job progression with only an undergraduate degree, especially in academia you’ll need a PhD.

If creating antibiotics/drugs is what you want to do, why not consider pharmacology? In my 4 years of University-level genetics, I’ve only had a handful of lectures on drugs, their synthesis and usage.
Job range - the two main avenues you can go down are academic (scientific research) and industry (working for big pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology companies).

honestly once you’ve got your degree (with a decent classification from a decent uni), the scientific world is your oyster. However, you’re unlikely to see much job progression with only an undergraduate degree, especially in academia you’ll need a PhD.

If creating antibiotics/drugs is what you want to do, why not consider pharmacology? In my 4 years of University-level genetics, I’ve only had a handful of lectures on drugs, their synthesis and usage.

I am not entirely dedicated to making drugs just some aspects of drugs, biotech and genetics. What are the jobs likely to be for genetics degree? I am planning to do a pg degree too. What are the branches of genetics or degrees related to that that has job progression? Can I do a bio engineering following the genetics degree? Would it be useful for genetics area? Or should I do a pg specifically in the area of genetics ex molecular genetics? Are genetics jobs likely to grow in the future?

Hi, which university and which course was this? I am exploring possibilities of such courses - any lead will be helpful. THanks.
Reply 6
Hi everyone, just thought I'd flag in case people weren't aware, there are opportunities in genomics in nhs England, they offer good opportunities for graduates. Feel free to message me with any questions.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending