How much physical geography is in A-Level geography?

Watch
MonkeyBananaPie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I'm thinking of picking A-level geography as I really like the subject at GCSE. The only thing is I like the human geography way more than the physical geography. If anyone is doing/has done A-Level geography, is there more physical than human or is it about the same? Also, do you think I should still take it even if I don't like physical geography? Thanks!!
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MonkeyBananaPie)
Hi! I'm thinking of picking A-level geography as I really like the subject at GCSE. The only thing is I like the human geography way more than the physical geography. If anyone is doing/has done A-Level geography, is there more physical than human or is it about the same? Also, do you think I should still take it even if I don't like physical geography? Thanks!!
I was in the same boat as you, really liked human geography, physical geography not so much, because I found it more difficult.
It's like 50/50 tbh, it'll be slightly more human geography if you do your coursework on human geog and vice versa.

I actually didn't choose A level geog at the start for exactly the same reason as you but I later switched to it cos I didn't like psychology. I really enjoyed geography though even I preferred the human geog more than the physical stuff. In fact, I think there were quite a lot of people in my class who felt the same way as I did (or exactly the opposite i.e. really like physical but didn't like human) but we all managed fine :yy:
AstaYunoo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MonkeyBananaPie)
Depends on your exam board but honestly there isn't that much for AQA just additional stuff eg, on plate tectonics such as ridge push and slab pull and there's alot of carbon stuff (carboncycle/sequestration/reducing co2). When it comes to coastal processes, you learn the same types of coastal defenses etc but you need to be more precise with what you write (you can't waffle as much) .

It's pretty much the same with more in depth knowledge of existing processes and recap. The case studies are also interesting if you're good with your facts and figures.
Hoodlum123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not as much as I would like.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For edexcel it’s 50/50 for A Level geography but if you do your coursework as human then it will feel like you do a lot more human than physical. Most of the physical stuff is the same as GCSE just in more detail. It’s only really human geography that you learn new topics.
MonkeyBananaPie
Rep:
?
(Original post by neko no basu)
I was in the same boat as you, really liked human geography, physical geography not so much, because I found it more difficult.
It's like 50/50 tbh, it'll be slightly more human geography if you do your coursework on human geog and vice versa.

I actually didn't choose A level geog at the start for exactly the same reason as you but I later switched to it cos I didn't like psychology. I really enjoyed geography though even I preferred the human geog more than the physical stuff. In fact, I think there were quite a lot of people in my class who felt the same way as I did (or exactly the opposite i.e. really like physical but didn't like human) but we all managed fine :yy:
Thanks! That's really reassuring
MonkeyBananaPie
Rep:
?
(Original post by AstaYunoo)
Depends on your exam board but honestly there isn't that much for AQA just additional stuff eg, on plate tectonics such as ridge push and slab pull and there's alot of carbon stuff (carboncycle/sequestration/reducing co2). When it comes to coastal processes, you learn the same types of coastal defenses etc but you need to be more precise with what you write (you can't waffle as much) .

It's pretty much the same with more in depth knowledge of existing processes and recap. The case studies are also interesting if you're good with your facts and figures.
Oh ok thanks
OCorOOC6337
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can check out the exam board website for the syllabus - that gives you an exact guide to what you would be learning. But, as most people have said, it's around 50-50. At least for AQA, more of the physical geography builds directly onto what you've learnt before, whereas more of human geography is 'completely new' concepts, as it were. They're both manageable though.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geog...on-at-a-glance

Edit: most of my class dislike human but love physical, I'm the opposite and prefer human, but we're all enjoying the course still. Being able to choose specific coursework topics helps going into yr13 to let you focus a little more on what you prefer!
Last edited by OCorOOC6337; 1 month ago
bubblesrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was 50/50 but honestly it was fine! And a lot of the physical geography topics, such as Tectonics, have a lot of it that is human geography based. My teacher always instilled in me that the two are intertwined, and it's so true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (190)
14.22%
I'm not sure (59)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.77%
I'm not a current university student (657)
49.18%

Watched Threads