Edexcel a level maths urgent help

Watch
girl105
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are circle theorems/geometry such as volume and surface area a part of the new edexcel a level spec. The spec kinda confused me and I really need to know as I am doing maths prep now.
Despaxir
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Circle Theorems don't occur at all. It might come up in A2 but like it didn't for me. As in I didn't need to use it. You'll be fine without circle theorems.

Volume and surface area does come up in chapters with modelling. But you will just need to know their formulas and the intuition behind it which you will develop don't worry.

If you want to prepare get very good with algebraic manipulations (including surds as well), coordinate geometry (circles, straight lines, quadratics, intersections etc), indices and graph transformations and translations. These are your basics and will help you massively when you start.

But overall, there is very few or no circle theorems (if you know some it could help you in some questions but it's not necessary iirc) and there is some volume and surface area in the modelling parts of the course.

Good luck It will be most beneficial to get better at algebra and stuff to improve your base skills, rather than memorising some theorems and formulas. Maths is about problem solving not memorising.

I did Further Maths as well and the same applies, just in case you're thinking if you need them for Fmaths.

Good luck and don't stress too much
Study_With_Joe
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by girl105)
Are circle theorems/geometry such as volume and surface area a part of the new edexcel a level spec. The spec kinda confused me and I really need to know as I am doing maths prep now.
Hiya,

Just finished doing OCR (although not identical, they're virtually similar.) so hopefully, this will help.

Circle theorems don't come up as actual questions but you might need to remember some of them to be able to do other questions. They are much less relevant in A-Level maths so don't panic about them. The ones you may need will become second nature to you after a while.

Volume & Surface area come up occasionally but again will be part of other questions. You don't need either for Further Maths.

Similar to the post above, I'd recommend you refresh yourself on surds & indices, algebra (including working with quadratic equations), working with circles and tangents & I would also add trigonometry in there as well. Things like the sine & cosine rules, the graphs for each of the functions etc. Revising all of those would be a good start point. (Especially surds. They come up everywhere.)

Good luck for this year!
Despaxir
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
When you start do every single question in the books. It seems tedious but it makes a massive difference, especially if you take the time to understand the maths (which I think you will since you're looking to prepare, so that's a good attitude )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads