James Rahman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I got grades ABC, which I missed my firm (Leeds) however if I reapply for next year I can get into Newcastle with those grades. I was wondering if my A-levels will be a disadvantage when applying to Insight weeks for investment banking or graduate schemes because I got a C (some firms may reject me in the screening process because of this grade), would this be a disadvantage? Would you recommend me to retake the C A-level, and get into Leeds? I would have to balance a full-time job with 1 a-level but i don't think this would be much of a problem, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you
Raja12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by James Rahman)
Hi, I got grades ABC, which I missed my firm (Leeds) however if I reapply for next year I can get into Newcastle with those grades. I was wondering if my A-levels will be a disadvantage when applying to Insight weeks for investment banking or graduate schemes because I got a C (some firms may reject me in the screening process because of this grade), would this be a disadvantage? Would you recommend me to retake the C A-level, and get into Leeds? I would have to balance a full-time job with 1 a-level but i don't think this would be much of a problem, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you
hey I say you would be at a disadvantage of having the C, so u should retake the a level. Most investment banks have a requirement of ABB or even AAB. Also, are you able to aim for a higher university than Leeds, not saying that Leeds isn't a top university but investment banks pick up graduates from targets/semi-targets. To the best of my knowledge, Leeds isn't a target university, nor a semi-target. So, if possible, apply to semi-targets as it will make life easier for you
James Rahman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raja12)
hey I say you would be at a disadvantage of having the C, so u should retake the a level. Most investment banks have a requirement of ABB or even AAB. Also, are you able to aim for a higher university than Leeds, not saying that Leeds isn't a top university but investment banks pick up graduates from targets/semi-targets. To the best of my knowledge, Leeds isn't a target university, nor a semi-target. So, if possible, apply to semi-targets as it will make life easier for you
Thank you, the problem is, is that I never took A-level maths, so all of the semi-target unis are hard to get into, and if I did go to them I wouldn't be able to study something like economics and finance, it would have to be something like history, politics and economics, that's why I opted for Leeds, I also get a contextual offer from them which gives me an offer for ABB. Ive heard of people going to unis like queen marys and getting into IB that's why i dint put too much emphasis on the target unis and stuff
Raja12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by James Rahman)
Thank you, the problem is, is that I never took A-level maths, so all of the semi-target unis are hard to get into, and if I did go to them I wouldn't be able to study something like economics and finance, it would have to be something like history, politics and economics, that's why I opted for Leeds, I also get a contextual offer from them which gives me an offer for ABB. Ive heard of people going to unis like queen marys and getting into IB that's why i dint put too much emphasis on the target unis and stuff
you don't need a level maths to get into semi-targets..... I am currently a year 13 student and have researched a lot about investment banking and economics courses without A-Level maths, as I myself do biology, chemistry, geography and core maths. examples of universities that will take you in for economics or finance are:

university of durham - finance
university of Nottingham - economics or with a joint honour
university of Manchester - economics and finance
university of st Andrews - financial economics or economics

bro you got to do your research. how about resitting the subject you got the C in and do 1 year A-Level Maths intensive course. This will allow you to aim even higher, such as to LSE, warwick and UCL.
James Rahman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raja12)
you don't need a level maths to get into semi-targets..... I am currently a year 13 student and have researched a lot about investment banking and economics courses without A-Level maths, as I myself do biology, chemistry, geography and core maths. examples of universities that will take you in for economics or finance are:

university of durham - finance
university of Nottingham - economics or with a joint honour
university of Manchester - economics and finance
university of st Andrews - financial economics or economics

bro you got to do your research. how about resitting the subject you got the C in and do 1 year A-Level Maths intensive course. This will allow you to aim even higher, such as to LSE, warwick and UCL.
Thanks, bro, extremely helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (55)
13.82%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (53)
13.32%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (152)
38.19%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (42)
10.55%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (75)
18.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.28%

Watched Threads