Should i retake A-level? - Investment banking

Watch
James01_
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I got grades ABC, which I missed my firm (Leeds) however if I reapply for next year I can get into Newcastle with those grades. I was wondering if my A-levels will be a disadvantage when applying to Insight weeks for investment banking or graduate schemes because I got a C (some firms may reject me in the screening process because of this grade), would this be a disadvantage? Would you recommend me to retake the C A-level, and get into Leeds? I would have to balance a full-time job with 1 a-level but i don't think this would be much of a problem, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you
Raja12
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by James Rahman)
Hi, I got grades ABC, which I missed my firm (Leeds) however if I reapply for next year I can get into Newcastle with those grades. I was wondering if my A-levels will be a disadvantage when applying to Insight weeks for investment banking or graduate schemes because I got a C (some firms may reject me in the screening process because of this grade), would this be a disadvantage? Would you recommend me to retake the C A-level, and get into Leeds? I would have to balance a full-time job with 1 a-level but i don't think this would be much of a problem, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you
hey I say you would be at a disadvantage of having the C, so u should retake the a level. Most investment banks have a requirement of ABB or even AAB. Also, are you able to aim for a higher university than Leeds, not saying that Leeds isn't a top university but investment banks pick up graduates from targets/semi-targets. To the best of my knowledge, Leeds isn't a target university, nor a semi-target. So, if possible, apply to semi-targets as it will make life easier for you
James01_
Rep:
(Original post by Raja12)
hey I say you would be at a disadvantage of having the C, so u should retake the a level. Most investment banks have a requirement of ABB or even AAB. Also, are you able to aim for a higher university than Leeds, not saying that Leeds isn't a top university but investment banks pick up graduates from targets/semi-targets. To the best of my knowledge, Leeds isn't a target university, nor a semi-target. So, if possible, apply to semi-targets as it will make life easier for you
Thank you, the problem is, is that I never took A-level maths, so all of the semi-target unis are hard to get into, and if I did go to them I wouldn't be able to study something like economics and finance, it would have to be something like history, politics and economics, that's why I opted for Leeds, I also get a contextual offer from them which gives me an offer for ABB. Ive heard of people going to unis like queen marys and getting into IB that's why i dint put too much emphasis on the target unis and stuff
Raja12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by James Rahman)
Thank you, the problem is, is that I never took A-level maths, so all of the semi-target unis are hard to get into, and if I did go to them I wouldn't be able to study something like economics and finance, it would have to be something like history, politics and economics, that's why I opted for Leeds, I also get a contextual offer from them which gives me an offer for ABB. Ive heard of people going to unis like queen marys and getting into IB that's why i dint put too much emphasis on the target unis and stuff
you don't need a level maths to get into semi-targets..... I am currently a year 13 student and have researched a lot about investment banking and economics courses without A-Level maths, as I myself do biology, chemistry, geography and core maths. examples of universities that will take you in for economics or finance are:

university of durham - finance
university of Nottingham - economics or with a joint honour
university of Manchester - economics and finance
university of st Andrews - financial economics or economics

bro you got to do your research. how about resitting the subject you got the C in and do 1 year A-Level Maths intensive course. This will allow you to aim even higher, such as to LSE, warwick and UCL.
James01_
Rep:
you don't need a level maths to get into semi-targets..... I am currently a year 13 student and have researched a lot about investment banking and economics courses without A-Level maths, as I myself do biology, chemistry, geography and core maths. examples of universities that will take you in for economics or finance are:

bro you got to do your research. how about resitting the subject you got the C in and do 1 year A-Level Maths intensive course. This will allow you to aim even higher, such as to LSE, warwick and UCL.
Thanks, bro, extremely helpful
estella135
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

hii im sorry for replying to a 1 year old thread but im doing business national extended diploma (L3) and i was wondering whether u think i could complete maths alevel in one year whilst doing my btec? I would need an A in maths but even if i got a B it would be ok do u think its possible
Raja12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by estella135)
hii im sorry for replying to a 1 year old thread but im doing business national extended diploma (L3) and i was wondering whether u think i could complete maths alevel in one year whilst doing my btec? I would need an A in maths but even if i got a B it would be ok do u think its possible
hey, do you think you have the ability to get an A in A-Level Maths in 1 year? its self-belief and self-motivation that will get you there. At the same time, A-Level Maths is really challenging but if you think you can do it, go for it. At the same time, what degree do you need a-level maths for?
tierny3
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
retake you need at least AAB

out of curiosity how does retaking work? you have to retake all the content of all 2 years right?
estella135
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
hey, do you think you have the ability to get an A in A-Level Maths in 1 year? its self-belief and self-motivation that will get you there. At the same time, A-Level Maths is really challenging but if you think you can do it, go for it. At the same time, what degree do you need a-level maths for?
i had so many family problems during secondary school i nearly got put in a foster home and was forced to speak to a doctor, nurse, camhs etc because my mental health was so bad so my gcses were kinda rubbish.

so im in year 12 and decided that im not gonna let my life be ruined bc of things that weren't in my control so im gonna retake my mathe gcse this year (i got a 4) and aim for a 7 then in year 13 i will do my maths alevel. (also my attendance was sooo bad during secondary, i never revised, never did homework, never tried to understand things in lesson but before my maths gcse mock i did about 22 pages of revision and ended up with the highest mark in the class on the hardest paper so i think i am naturally somewhat intelligent, even in other lessons when i’d finally come into school after weeks of being absent i’d get like 8 marks less than people who were meant to be doing higher papers and stuff).

im doing a full time course but the way my college works is they put all of my classes across 2 days so that we have more time for revision/part time jobs so i have 5 days every week to revise a level. i was thinking i could do 4 hours of maths and 2 hours of business and it could be ok. i dont really believe in myself much ngl but its worth a try, i found out that sometimes when people do maths and further maths, they learn maths in the first year then further in the second. this makes me think that maybe it could be possible especially because people at sixth form probably do like 8 hours of maths a week at school i could do way more hours at home. i also have a 2 hour break on both days.

sorry this was really long but thank u for replying <3
estella135
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
oops i forgot to say im realllly interested in economics. i watched so many vids about the course and i find it so interesting
anonuser99
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
i had so many family problems during secondary school i nearly got put in a foster home and was forced to speak to a doctor, nurse, camhs etc because my mental health was so bad so my gcses were kinda rubbish.

so im in year 12 and decided that im not gonna let my life be ruined bc of things that weren't in my control so im gonna retake my mathe gcse this year (i got a 4) and aim for a 7 then in year 13 i will do my maths alevel. (also my attendance was sooo bad during secondary, i never revised, never did homework, never tried to understand things in lesson but before my maths gcse mock i did about 22 pages of revision and ended up with the highest mark in the class on the hardest paper so i think i am naturally somewhat intelligent, even in other lessons when i’d finally come into school after weeks of being absent i’d get like 8 marks less than people who were meant to be doing higher papers and stuff).

im doing a full time course but the way my college works is they put all of my classes across 2 days so that we have more time for revision/part time jobs so i have 5 days every week to revise a level. i was thinking i could do 4 hours of maths and 2 hours of business and it could be ok. i dont really believe in myself much ngl but its worth a try, i found out that sometimes when people do maths and further maths, they learn maths in the first year then further in the second. this makes me think that maybe it could be possible especially because people at sixth form probably do like 8 hours of maths a week at school i could do way more hours at home. i also have a 2 hour break on both days.

Definitely possible to do Maths A-level in a year. Just know that Maths A-Level is big step up from GCSE, as most A-levels are. Just be prepared for that.
Raja12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

I would say don't time how much you do in terms of hours, base it on individual topics or something like that. also, you have to believe in yourself and have some type of motivation, or else you will start and then just give up. I would say that start with your maths a level right now, as in year 12, the workload of your business course is going to be less and so, it will be more easier to do maths.
econhelp525
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Retake your C grade. You need at least ABB for the vast majority of firms. I've seen like one or two places that want AAB, but they were smaller shops
estella135
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I would say don't time how much you do in terms of hours, base it on individual topics or something like that. also, you have to believe in yourself and have some type of motivation, or else you will start and then just give up. I would say that start with your maths a level right now, as in year 12, the workload of your business course is going to be less and so, it will be more easier to do maths.
i’d like to start maths alevel now however i only got a 4 in my gcse maths, it’s recommended that you get at least a 7 otherwise you wont have much of a chance in passing the alevel
estella135
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anonuser99)
Definitely possible to do Maths A-level in a year. Just know that Maths A-Level is big step up from GCSE, as most A-levels are. Just be prepared for that.
kk tysm xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.89%
October 2021 (194)
46.08%
November 2021 (43)
10.21%
December 2021 (56)
13.3%
January 2021 (46)
10.93%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.26%