Shad's A level Antics: A Year 12 GYG

Watch
Shadbury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago

(I've changed my username from TakeALittleWalk to Shadbury, and this GYG won't be Peaky Blinders themed like the last one unfortunately. To any new readers check out my Year 11 GYG if you'd like https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6280010 and let me know if you'd like to be added to or removed from the tag list below!)
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Work Ethic? Missing (presumed dead). Handwriting? Call it abstract art. Procrastination habits? Unsurprisingly still intact. Hotel? Trivago.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

OFFICIAL POSTS

Caught up in a sense of urgency and evidently fatiguing towards my GCSE exams, lockdown as a result of COVID-19 ironically swooped in as a lifeline for my deteriorating, drained self. Exams were cancelled and we were to stay at home indefinitely. What followed were six not-so-productive lovely months to wind down and relax. And. Did. I. Relax. I'm talking Netflix, Netflix, some more Netflix. Baking. Painting. Getting SWOLE. Reading! Sleeping. Some more sleeping. Making a start on AS Maths only to realise I need to capitalise on the time I have now relaxing to its fullest, followed by some more eating, sleeping and repEATing.
But regardless of all that time I've had to put my feet up, school (as always) has arrived precipitously. And whether I'm ready or not doesn't change the fact that I genuinely feel like it's about time. I've been relaxing far too long and I miss practically everything about school; the social aspects as well as education itself. Just as much as I wanna talk to my friends and catch up on the latest, I'd really like to (surprised I haven't started retching yet?) start learning again. A levels are going to be the bane of me, the new Art GCSE perhaps in the form of my chosen subjects. Here they are:

MY A LEVELS
Spoiler:
Show

AQA A level Biology
AQA A level Chemistry
Edexcel A level Maths
Edexcel A level Further Maths

MY GCSE RESULTS
Spoiler:
Show

Maths - 9
English Literature - 9
English Language - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
RE - 9
History - 9
French - 8
Art - 8
Computer Science - 9

MY GOALS FOR THE YEAR
Spoiler:
Show

It's common knowledge to most people who supported me throughout my year 11 GYG that I procrastinate. A LOT. I wanna cut down on that more than anything. I'll (hopefully cough) be doing homework AS SOON AS I get home, whenever possible. I'll also make sure I use my free periods to their fullest which I've been told to do A LOT. Any year 12s/13s please feel free to share any tips for sixth form on top of these by the way! On top of this:
Make sure I've fully understood a topic before allowing myself to move on. This might involve reading sections of a textbook again or again, or nagging my teachers as much as possible seeing as they're here to help haha.
Start heading to the gym! As some of you might know I've been working out at home with a few dumbbells and a pull-up bar; but it's been callisthenics at the most. Can't wait to start pumping iron!
REDUCE MY SCREEN TIME. It's at 10 hours a day at the moment. 10 HOURS. I'm deleting tiktok and plan to check social media during breaks only, which I'll organise sooner or later.
Get straight As at AS! Yes it’s a big ask, and I’ll be surprised if I don’t drop FM a few months in.
Do a LOT of work experience. And this isn't simply because it's necessary for med applications. I'd like to work in all sorts of environments including care homes, hospitals and GPs. More than anything I'm looking forward to communicating with patients as much as possible, despite it being a minimal experience I'd like to make the most out of WE by genuinely getting to know people's stories and understanding how somebody might be dealing with a condition etc. While this seems unlikely and I'll most probably be shadowing the experts even the shortest of chats would make my day haha!
Never, EVER fall behind. If you do Shad your readers will never let you hear the end of it, especially SuperiorPotato the academic equivalent to a Navy SEALS Drill Instructor
Don’t let IT get to me. This is a big one, and no its not a Steven King reference. Stress, pressure and fatigue are like the kryptonite to my work ethic. I can’t let myself break down (of course the occasional crying-into-a-pillow might help tho)
And finally make a ton of friends in sixth form! I'm actually moving schools you see - and while many people from my old school are heading there too I'm excited to make so many new friends and enjoy the social aspects of sixth form too. It's not like there's much to enjoy anyway haha!

(INTERESTING?) STUFF ABOUT ME
Spoiler:
Show

I'm Bangladeshi
I love the Weeknd XOTWOD
My birthday's March 13th
I love practically every TV show there is but the cream of the crop would have to be Peaky Blinders
I have a diagnosed Netflix addiction
I love olives (like just dash it with chilli sauce innit and voila so penggggg)
I love sports! I play a lot of cricket, football and run practically ever morning! I'm not extremely good at any excluding the one; I (got scouted unexpectedly on a good day haha) play badminton for Essex and will probably retract my position in the team seeing as it takes up a HUGE amount of time; something I can't really afford to lose this year.
I love Doctor Who if you exclude the last couple seasons. (DID YOU SEE THAT cyberman timelord hybrid thingy? I nearly started weeping. As if the Timeless Child shambles wasn't bad enough)
I watch a lot of TV so feel free to drop any recommendations. I read too I guess. Anybody here read Pachinko by the way? Lovely book.
I DID go to a grammar school but I've moved to a different sixth form now; it's not all-boys.
I have two siblings, and am indeed the eldest (insert evil laugh)

So tag along guys/gals and/or others on this next chapter of my journey to becoming a MEDIC. That's right! I'd like to do something different and what's more unique than the dream of an aspiring medic? All jokes aside I've wanted to be a doctor (particularly a neurosurgeon) for ages now. Since primary I believe. Reading When Breath Becomes Air only confirmed my passion for the speciality. Here's a link to it actually! Super sad yet super eye opening: https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Breath.../dp/1784701998 Medics/Aspiring Medics out there please let me know of any valuable opportunities that come up or share some advice I'm all ears!
Excluding Wednesday, which is my induction day, I'll be posting every Sunday!
Wednesday...Hold on... This Wednesday?!

Tune in for:
Pictures of how I'm organising myself for those stationaryholics out there!
My mental health - how I'm feeling or have felt throughout the week. Sixth form is known to be a very difficult couple years.
My revision, the workload, notes and experimenting with techniques.
Exams. Results. Falling behind or getting ahead.
Climbing (or most probably dropping lol) badminton England rankings.
Food. As always.
And CHOCOLATE is THE NEW THEME by the way. (In case you hadn't noticed)
So for the first time in a while I'll be starting with a brand new taglist! Just this once I think it'd be wise to tag in the Shelby Company one last time too though. Would like to reiterate please LET ME KNOW DOWN BELOW if you'd like to be added/removed.

TAGS
___________________________________________________________________________________
Spoiler:
Show

courtesy of mez for teaching me this quick and easy method

(Original post by cryinqclouds;undefined)
x
(Original post by Raptor Jesus;undefined)
x
(Original post by SuperiorPotato;undefined)
x
(Original post by khakigreen20;undefined)
x
(Original post by Study2212;undefined)
x
(Original post by SlightlySummer;undefined)
x
(Original post by Roses_Dreams;undefined)
x
(Original post by emilynxlan;undefined)
x
(Original post by Matthew2422;undefined)
x
(Original post by _Mia101;undefined)
x
(Original post by ella’s words;undefined)
x
(Original post by yourmuddagyal;undefined)
x
(Original post by Tolgash;undefined)
x
(Original post by mez_merising;undefined)
x
(Original post by LovingLucy;undefined)
x
(Original post by jgeraldo;undefined)
x
(Original post by big-L;undefined)
x
(Original post by goldie2021;undefined)
x
(Original post by rxyaltyx;undefined)
x
(Original post by AstridM;undefined)
x
(Original post by Caitlyn04;undefined)
x
(Original post by kitkadd;undefined)
x
(Original post by Burfee!;undefined)
x
(Original post by RyanC_;undefined)
x
(Original post by 000_0000;undefined)
x
(Original post by kadiatuj0001;undefined)
x
(Original post by K_A_I_2004;undefined)
x
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka;undefined)
x
(Original post by username4950464;undefined)
x
(Original post by EllieMegan;undefined)
x
(Original post by aregularteen;undefined)
x
(Original post by neko no basu;undefined)
x
(Original post by RazzzBerries;undefined)
x
(Original post by Bookworm_88;undefined)
x
(Original post by Papatya55;undefined)
x
(Original post by H4ttie03;undefined)
x
(Original post by RaA64;undefined)
x
(Original post by Satyr;undefined)
x
(Original post by macy_m;undefined)
x
(Original post by Stxdent;undefined)
x
(Original post by The RAR;undefined)
x
(Original post by absolutelysprout;undefined)
x
(Original post by Tkt12345;undefined)
x
(Original post by Gamingexpertnot;undefined)
x
(Original post by aregularteen;undefined)
x
(Original post by exams6700;undefined)
x
(Original post by limitlesspuffy;undefined)
x

Last edited by Shadbury; 8 months ago
Raptor Jesus
Badges: 20
Report 10 months ago
subbed - this will be good
nice post 1 btw - better than another one... :flute:
and im first yay :banana:
Last edited by Raptor Jesus; 10 months ago
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
2nd the best, RJ
Shadbury
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raptor Jesus)
subbed - this will be good
nice post 1 btw - better than another one... :flute:
and im first yay :banana:
I learned from the best haha! But a GYG specifically asks that we focus more on content than aesthetic; I'd like for fellow year 12s or younguns to benefit from this especially just I like I did from reading a variety of GYGs from people in the year above. I'll tag you RJ don't you worry haha
Amelia456
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Tag me in pls

Dont forget ✨Medenry✨
Raptor Jesus
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by neko no basu)
2nd the best, RJ
i meant the first tag :mmm:
Shadbury
Rep:
?
2nd the best, RJ
Hi Neko! Should I tag you or?
ymca_m
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Well you wrote so much and it’s so ‘poetic’
Tag me, as you should
Raptor Jesus
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Shadbury)
I learned from the best haha! But a GYG specifically asks that we focus more on content than aesthetic; I'd like for fellow year 12s or younguns to benefit from this especially just I like I did from reading a variety of GYGs from people in the year above. I'll tag you RJ don't you worry haha
ofc i understand the importance of it, and im sure people will benefit from this
thx again :borat:
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
i meant the first tag :mmm:
oh i just checked, the 2nd tag is spud,
in which case, I still stand by what i said about, 2nd the best :aetsch:

Hi Neko! Should I tag you or?
yesssssss, i've been waiting for the arrival of your GYG
Shadbury
Rep:
?
(Original post by macy_m)
Well you wrote so much and it’s so ‘poetic’
Tag me, as you should
Going all out this year mwahahahaha
Yes ma'am

(Original post by Neighbelline_)
Tag me in pls

Dont forget ✨Medenry✨
Of course; medentry - my secret key through the Diamond wall that is the UCAT
Shadbury
Rep:
?
ofc i understand the importance of it, and im sure people will benefit from this
thx again :borat:
I was hinting that you could make one too hahaaa

No worries!
Raptor Jesus
Report 10 months ago
oh i just checked, the 2nd tag is spud,
in which case, I still stand by what i said about, 2nd the best :aetsch:
lol whatever you say :rolleyes:
but when you're making your gyg?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
keep me tagged! best of luck with this year :hugs:
and yes, definitely make the most of your frees, you'll thank yourself later!
Raptor Jesus
Report 10 months ago
I was hinting that you could make one too hahaaa

No worries!
ohhh ok but i never even done a blog or gyg :lol:
i'll think i'll learn from yours and macys then may do one for yr13 - gotta learn from the best
RyanC_
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Lol, all of us on TSR procrastinate too much don't we :lol:

Thanks for the tag!

all of these GYGs are making me want to make one again even tho it will be dead 2 weeks in and I literally just said I don't wanna bother with one :facepalm:
Shadbury
Rep:
?
ohhh ok but i never even done a blog or gyg :lol:
i'll think i'll learn from yours and macys then may do one for yr13 - gotta learn from the best
Feel free to check out my year 11 one that I’ve linked righttt at the top of post 1; might give you some ideas!

(Original post by absolutelysprout)
keep me tagged! best of luck with this year :hugs:
and yes, definitely make the most of your frees, you'll thank yourself later!
Sounds great Sprout! Hope everything’s well!
SuperiorPotato
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeeeeeeeeesssssssssss Go Sensei :ahee:
Shadbury
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperiorPotato)
Yeeeeeeeeesssssssssss Go Sensei :ahee:
I’ll make you proud Spud I’m sure of it haha
Raptor Jesus
Report 10 months ago
Feel free to check out my year 11 one that I’ve linked righttt at the top of post 1; might give you some ideas!
thx but the link isnt working - might wanna check it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed