Lizamb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi so I’m stuck on which alevel I should choose,English literature or English literature and language combined? I would like to do a law degree, but I’m not sure which English to choose from.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would definitely recommend English literature, it's a great A-level and my class really enjoyed it (finished A-levels 2 years ago). English lit is also a facilitating subject which ultimately looks better to universities especially for a competitive subject like law. If you check the combined lit and lang course out and really prefer it though, go for that, you'll do better at what you enjoy. But I would say English lit
Getoutamaswamp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lizamb)
Hi so I’m stuck on which alevel I should choose,English literature or English literature and language combined? I would like to do a law degree, but I’m not sure which English to choose from.
I recommend what the user above has just said. A friend of mine took language A-level and said it is nothing like GCSE, she spent part of the course analysing tweets so literature seems more valuable.
thewinterpoet
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm also going to do Law at uni. I'm currently doing my A Levels and am going into Year 13. I do English Lit, English Lang, and Religious Studies. I am really enjoying all of them and, although English Lang is definitely very different from GCSE, if you like topics in sociogy like Gender, Ethnicity, Class etc it's very similar as I do them as topic within a linguistic context so we examine articles and theories from linguists regarding the topics. We also study child language acquisition (my least favourite topic but still interesting) and we examine different perspectives e.g. Social interactionism and behaviourism. Hope this helps with choosing. 😊
thewinterpoet
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English Lang and Lit from my perspective are equally challenging (I got the same grade for both in my mocks) but it depends on your preference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.82%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.26%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.26%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.11%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.97%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.89%

Watched Threads