h.1787730
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Which social media platforms are actually worth it? I'm going to university next year and I want to connect with other people but I can't be bothered with social media sometimes. Plus I'll only use it professionally.
zz2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’d definitely recommend Facebook, because on that unis create freshers group pages where people find course and flat mates and then make a messenger group and then move onto asking each other’s insta and snapchat, so definitely Facebook
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you aren't that fussed about social media, it might be worthy waiting and seeing. When I did my PGCE I got sucked into a Whatsapp group which was basically a moaning forum for people who hadn't done any work on their assignments looking for hints and tips from those who had.

I would say that the best use of social media is where it has a specific purpose. So if you have a Facebook Group or Whatsapp group or whatever, of people you know that don't annoy you then go for it. In other words, use social media for specific purposes rather being bombarded with 99% time wasting nonsense.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by h.1787730)
Which social media platforms are actually worth it? I'm going to university next year and I want to connect with other people but I can't be bothered with social media sometimes. Plus I'll only use it professionally.
hiya!

I find LinkedIn to be a really great professional social media site. You can link with other students and can stay in touch through the app, but also link with lecturers who can forward your profile to any others which can benefit you in getting a job or creating good connections and networking.

I would also recommend WhatsApp and Facebook to stay in contact with friends you meet. There are usually group chats on both of these social media platforms for your course or for a specific halls of accommodation that you're staying at and I used them pretty much everyday when at uni!

I hope this helps and best of luck! Sam- official student rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.38%

Watched Threads