The Student Room Group

Quacking the case to A*s - Y13 GYG 20/21

Spoiler

Helllloooooooooo :wavey: (warning: I overuse that emoji tooooooo much),
I'm here - I've entered my final year of compulsory education :headfire: Would I be lying if I said it has flown by - no, I can still remember my first day of primary school, but the end is in sight :redface:
Looking back on the curve balls that the last 13 years have thrown at me (including corona, like who would have predicted that?!?!) I think it's fair to see I have no idea what the next year is going to be like, but hey, I've made it this far - so why not go out with a bang?

Yes I know the next 10 months of my life are going to be full of ups and downs (or smiles, stress and strops as I put it in my last GYG), but hopefully this blog will help me keep sane and motivated to get to the end :biggrin:

Soooo just a bit about me:

GCSEs
Year 10 was probably my hardest year of my life (mentally) due to your typical high school friendship issues, but I didn't let this affect my GCSE grades and came out with grades that I was (nearly) over the moon with :woo: for anyone that is really that interested in what I got, I've listed them below. (hint: I am not your typical straight grade 9 TSR user)

Spoiler

Year 12
Well, I made the big jump of moving to a college for sixth form, and as cheesy as it sounds it was the best decision I ever made. I manage to fit in with a good group of friends and put behind all the stuff that happened at my previous secondary school.

I do 4 alevels, which yes is tough, but I (just about) enjoy them all, and I am not planning to drop one. I do:
Maths (AQA)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Physics (AQA)
Geography (OCR)

I did an EPQ for about 4 weeks but dropped it :smile:

Due to corona we didn't have end of year 12 exams, but we will be having them in October instead - so I will probably put my results here once I receive them. :eek3:

Year 13
I am going into Y13 doing the same subjects I did at the end of Y12 (I might drop down to an AS in Further Maths, but I am not currently planning to).

Don't really know what else I can say about Y13 apart from - stay tuned! :idea2:

Ohhhh yes I would quite like to achieve A*AAB but A*AAA would be amazing :biggrin:

Post-18 plans
This may end up being split into 2 sections as I am not 100% sure if I want to do and apprenticeship or a degree yet, but currently edging towards a degree at uni.

Uni stuff
I am planning to study civil engineering at uni, I am yet to decide on the 5, but I do have a good idea about where I want to apply.

Spoiler

Uni updates here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6680478&page=73#post92515720
Updates ('Big' updates are in bold)

Spoiler

Anyway that's enough rambling for now, if you want to be tagged (you must be mad) but let me know :tongue: I will try to do updates every few days...

GYG banner.PNG
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tag list:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Yessss tag moi :woo:
what are your ucas predictions?
I'd like to be tagged too!
Reply 5
Original post by royalty1702
what are your ucas predictions?

Don't know yet as our end of year exams got cancelled but I think the will be around A*AAB
Tag me so we can suffer together
Original post by Becca216
Don't know yet as our end of year exams got cancelled but I think the will be around A*AAB

I did maths further maths and physics too lol
Reply 8
Original post by macy_m
Yessss tag moi :woo:

Will do :woo:
Original post by neko no basu
I'd like to be tagged too!

Of course :smile: are you doing one this year?
Original post by josie71202
Tag me so we can suffer together

Woooo, lets do this :redface:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
I did maths further maths and physics too lol

Ahhh nice, I am hoping for and A* in Maths, A in Physics and not too sure about how further maths will go....
Will do :woo:

Of course :smile: are either of you two doing one this year?

oui oui
just haven't made it yet:rofl3:it'll be my first gyg so feeling kinda clueless haha
Reply 11
Original post by neko no basu
oui oui
just haven't made it yet:rofl3:it'll be my first gyg so feeling kinda clueless haha

Honestly, this is kind of my first one (we don't talk about last years....I kind of gave up 5 posts in).....feel free to tag me when you make yours :biggrin:
Ahhh nice, I am hoping for and A* in Maths, A in Physics and not too sure about how further maths will go....

I think to do well in maths you have to focus on enjoying the subject. I found that if I tried to enjoy the exam (I know) and stop caring so much about achieving a certain grade and then I tend to do better.
Reply 13
I think to do well in maths you have to focus on enjoying the subject. I found that if I tried to enjoy the exam (I know) and stop caring so much about achieving a certain grade and then I tend to do better.

Ahhh okay thank you :biggrin: The way my college teach maths/further maths is that you do the whole of maths in Y12 and then the whole of further maths in Y13. I have already done quite a few past papers for Maths which is why I feel a bit more confident...
Honestly, this is kind of my first one (we don't talk about last years....I kind of gave up 5 posts in).....feel free to tag me when you make yours :biggrin:

ohh, hopefully your GYG this year will be more successful! :yeah:
i'll make sure to tag you when I've got my GYG up and running :nyan:
Ahhh okay thank you :biggrin: The way my college teach maths/further maths is that you do the whole of maths in Y12 and then the whole of further maths in Y13. I have already done quite a few past papers for Maths which is why I feel a bit more confident...

Yeah I get that. Also as I did more further maths, normal maths looked a lot easier!

So did you get a grade for a level maths then? Or is your college like my school in the sense that we sit both maths and further maths at the end of year 13?
Reply 16
Yeah I get that. Also as I did more further maths, normal maths looked a lot easier!

So did you get a grade for a level maths then? Or is your college like my school in the sense that we sit both maths and further maths at the end of year 13?

I'm doing all my exams at the end of Year 13 - my college believe we'll get better grades if we sit it then - I guess this makes sense as you have more time to learn skills and that.
Best of luck for the year ahead :smile:.
Reply 18
Original post by 15Characters...
Best of luck for the year ahead :smile:.

Thank you, you too :smile:
tag me please :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending