Badges: 18
Report 9 months ago
Glad you felt safe at college
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I was debating if I should post this, but I realised that this gyg is following my journey over the year, so I guess I should include the lows as well as the highs. I am not going to tag anyone as it hasn't been long since my last update, but this is kind of a mini update.

Update #4a: A mini breakdown

So, I am struggling, badly. I just don't know what to do or where to begin. Watching everyone else going back to school full time is hard enough, but having to self-teach yourself Y13 alevel content is super hard. I am struggling to get motivated to do the bare minimum amount of work, never mind the fact I am supposed to be revising for my mocks which are in less than 2 weeks time.

I miss my friends, yes, I have seen a few of them outside of college every now and again, but I miss spending everyday of college with them. Zoom calls just don't have the same effect. I am even starting to miss my classmates, you know those people who you aren't really friends with, but you see them everyday in lessons and you get along with them, I am starting to miss people I barely even knew.

All this is making me question if university is right for me - if I am struggling to read powerpoints and copy down notes, and struggle to get myself to revise. How on earth am I going to motivate myself to do extra reading outside of lectures? I am also questioning if civil engineering is the right degree for me, I have been set on it for so long, but I am questioning why. I have a good idea of what I want to do as a career, I just don't know which path I should take to get there.

There is a couple of other things that have happened over the past few days, that I will mention in my weekly update. But this is just to let you all know how I am feeling and for me to look back on when this year is all over.
josie71202
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Becca216)
I was debating if I should post this, but I realised that this gyg is following my journey over the year, so I guess I should include the lows as well as the highs. I am not going to tag anyone as it hasn't been long since my last update, but this is kind of a mini update.

So, I am struggling, badly. I just don't know what to do or where to begin. Watching everyone else going back to school full time is hard enough, but having to self-teach yourself Y13 alevel content is super hard. I am struggling to get motivated to do the bare minimum amount of work, never mind the fact I am supposed to be revising for my mocks which are in less than 2 weeks time.

I miss my friends, yes, I have seen a few of them outside of college every now and again, but I miss spending everyday of college with them. Zoom calls just don't have the same effect. I am even starting to miss my classmates, you know those people who you aren't really friends with, but you see them everyday in lessons and you get along with them, I am starting to miss people I barely even knew.

All this is making me question if university is right for me - if I am struggling to read powerpoints and copy down notes, and struggle to get myself to revise. How on earth am I going to motivate myself to do extra reading outside of lectures? I am also questioning if civil engineering is the right degree for me, I have been set on it for so long, but I am questioning why. I have a good idea of what I want to do as a career, I just don't know which path I should take to get there.

There is a couple of other things that have happened over the past few days, that I will mention in my weekly update. But this is just to let you all know how I am feeling and for me to look back on when this year is all over.
it'll be ok. We're all here for you and you can talk to me anytime
bookausten
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

aw becca i'm so sorry that you're struggling, and i really understand how you feel about missing the classmates you barely know! is there any teacher you could email about this, like the careers adviser or your head of year maybe? all my love to you, breakdowns are absolutely awful xxx
procrastinatingb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

so sorry to hear you're struggling! year 13 is hard enough when you're seeing your friends at least sometimes, I can't imagine how it feels to be spending so much time doing online school while a lot of other schools aren't doing as much virtually. I completely feel you on the motivation thing - I used to be fairly productive but now I just absolutely cannot keep my attention for anything for more than .2 seconds. here if you ever need to talk about it!!
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

:hugs:sorry to hear you're struggling I'm sure other people are in the same boat, online school is just not the same as actual in-person teaching. Hopefully, this won't be for long and lessons will resume to normal perhaps after Christmas, we can only hope :cry2:
Becca216
Rep:
?
Update #5: Not the news I wanted to hear...

So you may or may not have seen my update on Wednesday, but to summarise I am struggling with online learning in more ways than one - I am finding the actual education side hard, I miss human interactions and my mental health is just crumbling Unfortunately that day did not get any better as on Wednesday evening we received and email stating that the one week on one week off timetable is going to continue....:banghead: So yeah not the best of weeks. On a more positive note I have put a request in to switch halves of the years so that I am with more of my friends, I am waiting to hear if I will be allowed to move, but I know it will be a few week before I can switch due to the way mocks are working, but fingers crossed, I'll be able to move to the other half soon, which will make the situation a bit better :crossedf:

Subject updates are quite short this week
Maths (Pure and Applied)
Spoiler:
Show
Pure: we continued matrices, I am still finding them okay and found it okay to learn from home as our teacher had pre recorded some videos for us to watch, which were useful.
Applied (Decision): This was just consolidating what we learnt the previous week on algorithms so it was okay.
Applied (Mechanics): We continued moments, some of which I had already learnt in physics, so once again wasn't too bad to learn from home

Physics
Spoiler:
Show
Physics was okay, we had a couple of online quizzes to do which weren't too bad, however we did have to do a required practical from home, which consisted of watching a video and timing the time period of a spring, although it was quite simple it was stressful due to the fact the work is going to be collected in and marked...

Geography
Spoiler:
Show
Geography...well..so they were live streaming the lessons that were being taught to the other half of the year, which sounded like a good idea, but it was tough, as we had to turn our microphones off, which meant we couldn't ask questions The lesson was being taught to the people in the classroom (which seems fair), but that made it difficult to learn from home as we didn't have any of the hand outs that they were provided with and the audio quality wasn't great...
I need to get some NEA stuff done as my first deadline is in less than a month away...:eek:

Some other interesting things that happened in my life this week:
-I went to hockey training on Monday and recieved a head injury (the ball hit me after coming off my own stick :facepalm: ) so I have had mild concussion for most of this week :sad:
-I went into town yesterday and had went to the chippy for lunch with all my friends in the other half of the year, which was nice (its the first time I have seen some of them in 6 months :shock:) :woo:
-I, once again, made some pizza, but ate it too quickly before I could take a photo (sorry :slap: ) I will take a picture one day, I promise :lol:
Joke/Pun time :woo:
Why did the Duck cross the road?

Spoiler:
Show
To prove he wasn't a chicken :facepalm:

A big thank you to all your words of support the other day :hugs:

Hope you've all had a good week and hope you all have a fabulous weekend! :grouphugs:

Tags (Y'all must be quackers)
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Update #5: Not the news I wanted to hear...

So you may or may not have seen my update on Wednesday, but to summarise I am struggling with online learning in more ways than one - I am finding the actual education side hard, I miss human interactions and my mental health is just crumbling Unfortunately that day did not get any better as on Wednesday evening we received and email stating that the one week on one week off timetable is going to continue....:banghead: So yeah not the best of weeks. On a more positive note I have put a request in to switch halves of the years so that I am with more of my friends, I am waiting to hear if I will be allowed to move, but I know it will be a few week before I can switch due to the way mocks are working, but fingers crossed, I'll be able to move to the other half soon, which will make the situation a bit better :crossedf:

Subject updates are quite short this week
Maths (Pure and Applied)
Spoiler:
Show
Pure: we continued matrices, I am still finding them okay and found it okay to learn from home as our teacher had pre recorded some videos for us to watch, which were useful.
Applied (Decision): This was just consolidating what we learnt the previous week on algorithms so it was okay.
Applied (Mechanics): We continued moments, some of which I had already learnt in physics, so once again wasn't too bad to learn from home

Physics
Spoiler:
Show
Physics was okay, we had a couple of online quizzes to do which weren't too bad, however we did have to do a required practical from home, which consisted of watching a video and timing the time period of a spring, although it was quite simple it was stressful due to the fact the work is going to be collected in and marked...

Geography
Spoiler:
Show
Geography...well..so they were live streaming the lessons that were being taught to the other half of the year, which sounded like a good idea, but it was tough, as we had to turn our microphones off, which meant we couldn't ask questions The lesson was being taught to the people in the classroom (which seems fair), but that made it difficult to learn from home as we didn't have any of the hand outs that they were provided with and the audio quality wasn't great...
I need to get some NEA stuff done as my first deadline is in less than a month away...:eek:

-I went to hockey training on Monday and recieved a head injury (the ball hit me after coming off my own stick :facepalm: ) so I have had mild concussion for most of this week :sad:
-I went into town yesterday and had went to the chippy for lunch with all my friends in the other half of the year, which was nice (its the first time I have seen some of them in 6 months :shock:) :woo:
-I, once again, made some pizza, but ate it too quickly before I could take a photo (sorry :slap: ) I will take a picture one day, I promise :lol:
Why did the Duck cross the road?

Spoiler:
Show
To prove he wasn't a chicken :facepalm:

A big thank you to all your words of support the other day :hugs:

Hope you've all had a good week and hope you all have a fabulous weekend! :grouphugs:

Tags (Y'all must be quackers)
get well soon head injuries are horrible
procrastinatingb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hopefully they let you move halves of the year! it must suck not being with many other people you're friends with. have a good week - hope it goes better for you!
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
oh no, get well soon!
Becca216
Rep:
?
(Original post by josie71202)
get well soon head injuries are horrible
(Original post by procrastinatingb)
hopefully they let you move halves of the year! it must suck not being with many other people you're friends with. have a good week - hope it goes better for you!
(Original post by neko no basu)
oh no, get well soon!
Thank you all :hugs:
bookausten
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
oooh i really hope you get to move :") i understand the frustration wow, those livestreams sound awful! as you're missing human interaction though, my pms are always open if you want to chat about anything! have an amazing weekend :jumphug:
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
sorry to hear you're not doing great, hopefully you get to switch halves of the year:lovehug:
i never knew you did hockey :eek:
Becca216
Rep:
?
(Original post by bookausten)
oooh i really hope you get to move :") i understand the frustration wow, those livestreams sound awful! as you're missing human interaction though, my pms are always open if you want to chat about anything! have an amazing weekend :jumphug:
Thank you and you too!

(Original post by absolutelysprout)
sorry to hear you're not doing great, hopefully you get to switch halves of the year:lovehug:
i never knew you did hockey :eek:
I’ve played for about 4-5 years now, do you play?
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you and you too!

I’ve played for about 4-5 years now, do you play?
oh no, i wish i did though! :lol: we had like 1 lesson of it in PE
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It must be very strange doing a one week in one week off timetable , I don’t think I’d be able to do it :nah: Big hugs to you! :jumphug:
Eek I hope your head feels better soon, hockey balls are pretty hard! :console:

Pizza :danceboy: Hope this coming week is better when you’re back at college :yep:
Becca216
Rep:
?
Update 6: Just a very busy week

Hi :wavey: I hope you are all well and if you are in areas of local restrictions or isolating I hope you are okay :hugs: As the title says, last week was extremely busy, since I was back in college. Which is why this update is a bit later than usual - I am also doing it now as I am supposed to be revising at home (procrastination at its finest :eek: ). It was good to be back however I am not a fan of the new timetable that we have (basically every lesson is now 2 hours long) - not only does this mean that the lessons drag on so much more, it also means we are receiving less lesson time with our teachers than we used to Just for context we now have 4 hours per subject face to face teaching every 2 weeks, compared to 9 hours per subject every 2 weeks last year, so yeah that is going to take some getting used to.

Maths and Further Maths
Spoiler:
Show
Pure: We finished off the matrices topic and overall I didn't find it too bad, I'm not fully confident at the topic, but I am hoping it wont take too much revision to get my head around it. On a positive note I am starting to settle in to my new class, I have spoken to a couple of people who seem nice, but it is still quite awkward (I promise I'll get there eventually :yep: )
Decision: We started the graphs and networks topic, I am really enjoying this topic as it kind of links to what I want to do in the future, which is nice, I just need to get my head around how the exam board requires us to lay the questions out.
Mechanics: This is the only new teacher I have for maths this year, and I think it is fair to say he doesn't really like me, I think it might be because he taught everyone else in my class last year, but hopefully things will settle down over the coming weeks

Physics
Spoiler:
Show
I am struggling to remember what we did in Physics, I remember in one of the lessons the whole class had a conversation about buying shoes (I am a girl with size 8-9 feet so buying shoes that fit me and I like is often very difficult). :lol:
We continued learning about gravitational fields with one teacher and started learning about gases with the other, the stuff we are learning about at the moment is quite dull but lucky we have random conversations in class which makes the lessons much better :woo:

Geography
Spoiler:
Show
In the first lesson we started planning for the NEA, I have decided I am going to do mine on inequality as a whole and then also link it to inequality in transport. The lesson was good apart from the fact I had to leave early as I had a really sore headache :oops:(after a good nights sleep I was fine ). I have started doing some reserch and I have decided the two contrasting areas I am going to do my coursework in. In the other lesson we continued the powers and boarders topic, looking into specifically the UN. Political geography doesn't really interest me, but it is nice to learn about current issues such as Brexit and Trump....:rolleyes:

-I played my first hockey match since covid :rave: we lost 2-1 but it was a very close and enjoyable game :yep:
-I started having a look at the possibility of buying a laptop (the one I use for school work at the minute is an old family one that is very slow and makes the weeks where I am working from home even more tricky than they already are :confused:), if anyone has any recommendations that would be useful (I am looking for a light and small one - very specific I know :lol: )

Yeah nowt else really happened last week....

How do trees access the internet?
Spoiler:
Show
They log in :lol:

I have my end of Y12 exams next week So don't know when I'll next do an update, I am very nervous as I don't feel that confident on the stuff we learnt over lockdown (an I still can't do integration to save my life) but hopefully I'll get through them :yep:

Hope you all have a good week :hugs:

Becca216
Rep:
?
Forgot to add tags so see the post above

Tags (Y'all must be Quackers)

josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Update 6: Just a very busy week

Hi :wavey: I hope you are all well and if you are in areas of local restrictions or isolating I hope you are okay :hugs: As the title says, last week was extremely busy, since I was back in college. Which is why this update is a bit later than usual - I am also doing it now as I am supposed to be revising at home (procrastination at its finest :eek: ). It was good to be back however I am not a fan of the new timetable that we have (basically every lesson is now 2 hours long) - not only does this mean that the lessons drag on so much more, it also means we are receiving less lesson time with our teachers than we used to Just for context we now have 4 hours per subject face to face teaching every 2 weeks, compared to 9 hours per subject every 2 weeks last year, so yeah that is going to take some getting used to.

Maths and Further Maths
Spoiler:
Show
Pure: We finished off the matrices topic and overall I didn't find it too bad, I'm not fully confident at the topic, but I am hoping it wont take too much revision to get my head around it. On a positive note I am starting to settle in to my new class, I have spoken to a couple of people who seem nice, but it is still quite awkward (I promise I'll get there eventually :yep: )
Decision: We started the graphs and networks topic, I am really enjoying this topic as it kind of links to what I want to do in the future, which is nice, I just need to get my head around how the exam board requires us to lay the questions out.
Mechanics: This is the only new teacher I have for maths this year, and I think it is fair to say he doesn't really like me, I think it might be because he taught everyone else in my class last year, but hopefully things will settle down over the coming weeks

Physics
Spoiler:
Show
I am struggling to remember what we did in Physics, I remember in one of the lessons the whole class had a conversation about buying shoes (I am a girl with size 8-9 feet so buying shoes that fit me and I like is often very difficult). :lol:
We continued learning about gravitational fields with one teacher and started learning about gases with the other, the stuff we are learning about at the moment is quite dull but lucky we have random conversations in class which makes the lessons much better :woo:

Geography
Spoiler:
Show
In the first lesson we started planning for the NEA, I have decided I am going to do mine on inequality as a whole and then also link it to inequality in transport. The lesson was good apart from the fact I had to leave early as I had a really sore headache :oops:(after a good nights sleep I was fine ). I have started doing some reserch and I have decided the two contrasting areas I am going to do my coursework in. In the other lesson we continued the powers and boarders topic, looking into specifically the UN. Political geography doesn't really interest me, but it is nice to learn about current issues such as Brexit and Trump....:rolleyes:

-I played my first hockey match since covid :rave: we lost 2-1 but it was a very close and enjoyable game :yep:
-I started having a look at the possibility of buying a laptop (the one I use for school work at the minute is an old family one that is very slow and makes the weeks where I am working from home even more tricky than they already are :confused:), if anyone has any recommendations that would be useful (I am looking for a light and small one - very specific I know :lol: )

Yeah nowt else really happened last week....

How do trees access the internet?
Spoiler:
Show
They log in :lol:

I have my end of Y12 exams next week So don't know when I'll next do an update, I am very nervous as I don't feel that confident on the stuff we learnt over lockdown (an I still can't do integration to save my life) but hopefully I'll get through them :yep:

Hope you all have a good week :hugs:

good luck with your mocks next week
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.63%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.63%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.29%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.75%
Financial worries (38)
6.48%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.8%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (58)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.02%

Watched Threads