fuhnance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey, so a bit of background: I'm due to start at a semi-target next month, my A-level grades are above the UCAS point threshold but not brilliant. My course gives me the option of doing a placement year and I know that banks such as Goldman and UBS offer placement years within the asset management division (none in IBD) and I've heard they are less competitive than normal summer internships. I would like to do one of these for two reasons, firstly I'm not sure whether I want to go into AM or IB and secondly I would like to do a masters at an actual target (I know its a long way off but I think its good to have a long term plan for IB). LSE, LBS Oxbridge etc masters all cost £30k and even if I start saving now realistically there's no way I'd be able to afford this even with a government loan esp after you factor in living costs and therefore a placement year seems like a good option. Furthermore, if I was fortunate and landed a position at a BB surely the name would look good on the cv regardless of division. So I'm wondering whether this would be a good route 'Finance related Internship gained from cold calling first year ---> Asset Management Placement Year ----> IBD SA position between UG and PG and then obviously after my masters if all goes well a full time position?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (55)
13.82%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (53)
13.32%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (152)
38.19%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (42)
10.55%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (75)
18.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.28%

Watched Threads