๐Ÿ’“Blogging My Way Through Nursing: A Journal๐Ÿ’“

Watch
nursingstudentuk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you want to be added to the follow list to receive notifications, feel free to ask! :dontknow:

Blogging My Way Through Nursing: A Journal

I'm starting this blog to motivate myself to set goals and hit them (as well as hopefully chatting and making new friends!) So, whether you're in Nursing or not, follow along and lets learn from each other's mistakes! <3

My Other Threads:

To Study before uni:
Spoiler:
Show
  • Vital signs! โ˜
    --> Temperature โŠ  --> Blood pressure/Pulse โŠ  --> Respiratory rate โŠ 
  • Medical abbrevs. โ˜ (hilarious)
  • Anatomy revision โ˜ (so I don't look dumb in front of my new classmates?)
    --> bones โ˜ --> muscles โ˜ --> nervous system โ˜ --> digestive system โ˜ --> heart structure? โ˜
  • The Nursing Code โŠ 
  • The NHS Constitution โ˜

(disclaimer as I already panicked someone! - you don't have to study these things before uni, I was just trying to get ahead, haha. If your uni wanted you to read/study over the holiday, I'm sure they would've emailed you sorry)

Preparation before uni:
Spoiler:
Show
Shopping!!
  • Journal/planner โŠ 
  • Laptop โŠ  / laptop bag โ˜
  • Pencil-case/stationery โŠ  / calculator โŠ 
  • Lever arch folders โŠ  / dividers โŠ  / polypackets โ˜
  • Blank flash cards โŠ  / sticky notes โŠ 
  • New clothes? โ˜
  • Flask โŠ  / lunchbox โ˜ / lunchbox recipes โ˜
  • Textbooks โ˜ (waiting for last one to arrive! annoyingly the one i was most interested in lol)
  • Nursing shoes? โ˜ (I've decided to wait until uni specifies what to get)

Documents:
  • Student ID pic โŠ  (embarassing)
  • Occupational health form โŠ  / immunisation records โŠ  (cmon royal mail!)
  • Qualifications sent โŠ 
Stuff for Work Placements? (ouch for 12 hours and night shifts.... RIP my feet/legs/body)
  • Compression socks โ˜
  • 'Cheat sheets'/infocards? โ˜
  • Nursing shoes! โ˜
  • Water bottle โ˜ / lunch box and bag โ˜
  • Gum โ˜
  • Oil sheets for my skin? โ˜

Vegan finds:
Spoiler:
Show
Biscoff spread, jammie dodgers, weetabix choco minis, and these curry flavoured instant noodles :3
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20200903_144644_resized.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  143.6 KBName:  20200903_144619_resized.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  123.4 KB

Last edited by nursingstudentuk; 1 week ago
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
31/08/20
Seeing as its Monday...
Here is the studying I want to have down by the end of this week!

• Temperature โ˜
  • Blood pressure / pulse โ˜
  • Respiratory rate โ˜
  • The Nursing Code โ˜
  • The NHS Constitution โ˜
Bbubble061
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
May I ask - do you have to study (the things you wrote down) before you start nursing or are you just getting ahead?
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bbubble061)
May I ask - do you have to study (the things you wrote down) before you start nursing or are you just getting ahead?
no, no. I am just trying to get ahead haha.. If your uni wanted you to read something over the summer they would've emailed you and such hope I didn't panic you or something lol. Are you going to study nursing too?
Bbubble061
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nursingstudentuk)
no, no. I am just trying to get ahead haha.. If your uni wanted you to read something over the summer they would've emailed you and such hope I didn't panic you or something lol. Are you going to study nursing too?
I'm planning on doing adult nursing next year. I'm just quite panicked about it so I'm binge reading on nursing stuff lol
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
I'm planning on doing adult nursing next year. I'm just quite panicked about it so I'm binge reading on nursing stuff lol
Scary right? I keep worrying that there's some sort of basic knowledge about like... a muscle or bone that I'm missing, and it will be embarassing when it comes up oh dear... I'm sure we will be fine lol. I am panicked too! Good luck xx
Bbubble061
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Scary right? I keep worrying that there's some sort of basic knowledge about like... a muscle or bone that I'm missing, and it will be embarassing when it comes up oh dear... I'm sure we will be fine lol. I am panicked too! Good luck xx
Thanks! I think it's a really good idea that you're giving it your all and being very ORGANised (sorry). Just make sure you don't push yourself too much or burn yourself out - you'll make me worry!!! Anyway, you have my best wishes for your future in nursing. :heart:
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
Thanks! I think it's a really good idea that you're giving it your all and being very ORGANised (sorry). Just make sure you don't push yourself too much or burn yourself out - you'll make me worry!!! Anyway, you have my best wishes for your future in nursing. :heart:
Haha! Very punny, and thank you, I wish you the best too! <3
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Subbing, good luck! :hugs:
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Subbing, good luck! :hugs:
Ah, thank you Mr Fox, you sure are lovely! <3
Bcc7867
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! Where are you studying nursing?
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Subbing! As someone with a chronic health condition I spend a lot of time around nurses so it'll be very interesting seeing the type of stuff you learn! Good luck!
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadameRazz)
Subbing! As someone with a chronic health condition I spend a lot of time around nurses so it'll be very interesting seeing the type of stuff you learn! Good luck!
Hello! And thank you :3 hopefully I'll be able to divulge some juicy details <3
I'm already learning some funny stuff so far... my textbook seems to be suggesting that nurses pretend to take your pulse and actually measure your respiratory rate sneaky heehee (perhaps that one was obvious, but I had no idea!). Thank you for the sub! Have a nice day!
Name:  20200831_153823-1_resized.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  63.4 KB
Hellohsjakodsmka
Report 1 month ago
Subbing, I love this omg!
Good luck at uni :hugs:
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! And thank you :3 hopefully I'll be able to divulge some juicy details <3
I'm already learning some funny stuff so far... my textbook seems to be suggesting that nurses pretend to take your pulse and actually measure your respiratory rate sneaky heehee (perhaps that one was obvious, but I had no idea!). Thank you for the sub! Have a nice day!
Name:  20200831_153823-1_resized.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  63.4 KB
Haha I think I've actually had a couple of nurses do this when taking my pulse! I thought they were just concentrating
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
Subbing, I love this omg!
Good luck at uni :hugs:
Yay! Thank you for the sub and the luck! <3 are you a student yourself?
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bcc7867)
Hello! Where are you studying nursing?
Sorry for the late reply! I will be at UWE, Bristol are you doing Nursing?
Hellohsjakodsmka
Report 1 month ago
Yay! Thank you for the sub and the luck! <3 are you a student yourself?
Aww np x
I'm starting year 13 next week :afraid:
If I get into medical school, we'll probably be working together in a few years! Exciting stuff :nurse:
ZARA_160
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to be added to the follow list to receive notifications, feel free to ask!
Blogging My Way Through Nursing: A Journal

I wasn't the best a level student... but when I start Nursing in September, I want to give it my everything, so I'm starting this blog to motivate myself to set goals and hit them (as well as hopefully chatting and making new friends!) So, whether you're in Nursing or not, follow along and lets learn from each other's mistakes! <3

To Study before uni:
Spoiler:
Show
  • Vital signs! โ˜
    --> Temperature โ˜ --> Blood pressure/Pulse โ˜ --> Respiratory rate โ˜
  • Medical abbrevs. โ˜ (hilarious)
  • Anatomy revision โ˜ (so i dont look dumb infront of my new friends?)
    --> bones โ˜ --> muscles โ˜ --> nervous system โ˜ --> digestive system โ˜

(disclaimer as I already panicked someone! - you don't have to study these things before uni, I was just trying to get ahead, haha. If your uni wanted you to read/study over the holiday, I'm sure they would've emailed you sorry)

Preparation before uni:
Spoiler:
Show
Shopping!!
  • Journal/planner ๐Ÿ–พ
  • laptop ๐Ÿ–พ / laptop bag โ˜
  • pencilcase/stationery ๐Ÿ–พ / calculator ๐Ÿ–พ
  • lever arch folders ๐Ÿ–พ / dividers ๐Ÿ–พ / polypackets โ˜
  • blank flash cards โ˜
  • new clothes? โ˜
  • flask ๐Ÿ–พ / lunchbox โ˜ / lunchbox recipes โ˜
  • textbooks โ˜ (waiting for last one to arrive! annoyingly the one i was most interested in lol)
  • nursing shoes? โ˜ (I've decided to wait until uni specifies what to get)
Documents:
  • Student ID pic ๐Ÿ–พ (embarassing)
  • Occupational health form ๐Ÿ–พ / immunisation records โ˜ (cmon royal mail!)
  • Qualifications sent โ˜

(sorry for double post, I accidentally went anon!)
hiiiii,
i am really interested in doing nursing when i go to uni, i am starting sixth from next week(i know i have a lot ahead of me ) and doing Health and Social Extended Diploma Level 3
Because you are doing nursing i would like to ask if this option would help me or should i do sciences
also can i ask hows it being a nursing student?hard ? lot of work?
sorry if i am asking too much, i would like to be prepared
nursingstudentuk
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZARA_160)
hiiiii,
i am really interested in doing nursing when i go to uni, i am starting sixth from next week(i know i have a lot ahead of me ) and doing Health and Social Extended Diploma Level 3
Because you are doing nursing i would like to ask if this option would help me or should i do sciences
also can i ask hows it being a nursing student?hard ? lot of work?
sorry if i am asking too much, i would like to be prepared
Hello, lovely!! Disclaimer: I am not a nursing student yet, I am starting in Sept But, hopefully I can help shed some light lol. So, while some unis ask for an a level in biology, others just ask for a certain amount of UCAS points which can come from any subject really. There seems to be (from what I can gather) a lot of variety in terms of what unis want from applicants for some reason. So, my uni wanted 120 UCAS points, whereas I've seen one uni asking for only 96 UCAS points? Weird eh? Anyway, I googled how many UCAS points your Level 3 Diploma would be worth, and got this result:
"This qualification has the following UCAS Points - D - 72, C - 96, B - 120, A - 144, A* - 168." from this website: "https://www.qualhub.co.uk/qualification-search/qualification-detail/level-3-extended-diploma-in-health-and-social-care-226". So it seems that with a B or even in some cases a C you would have enough UCAS points to do Nursing in unis which only focus on the tally.

Okay, update on this, my uni didn't even specify biology to be honest! They just wanted a science or social science subject, and it looks like you could get into my uni with this course too!
Name:  course help.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  148.4 KB
I would recommend 2 things,
1. talking to the tutors and careers advisers that will be available at your sixth form, they will be able to help (probably a lot more accurately than me lol!) Let them know that you are interested in Nursing, and ask them what subjects you need to get in. But, it looks like you could easily find a uni with this course you're going to do (if you want cheeky extra UCAS points, I recommend taking up an EPQ on the side (really not that much work or time, the only hard part is thinking of what topic to write it on), and I'm sure your sixth form will give you the chance to do EPQs.
2. maybe google which unis are closest to you, and what their requirements are, and jot it in a google doc or something

Now, although I havent started Nursing yet, I can tell you that I've her it is hard, it is a lot of studying. There will be difficult patients, and probably difficult coworkers too! It is a labour of love, and it's about the positive experiences you have with "good" patients, outweighing the bad ones. It is very rewarding, but can be very tolling, physically and mentally. The job involves being on your feet all day and you will need to grow a thick skin. The pay isnt the best either, so I wouldn't go into it for that. But if none of that puts you off, it can be wonderfully rewarding! Sorry this reply is a bit chaotic, I was writing it as I was researching and now I cba to go back and edit. Hope I helped maybe? <3 (also, lowkey... nhs discount - not that I'm doing nursing for that but like... yeah). Good luck with your studies!! Wherever they lead you! <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things โ€“ I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads