Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey! Apologies this is going to be a long one!
I know the best thing for this is to go to a doctor but I’m so worried about going and them thinking that I’m being dramatic for no reason (I had a therapist tell me this a few months ago about my depression so it’s kind of stuck in my head)

I think I may have ADHD, all my symptoms match up with ADHD and I’ve been experiencing these since I was a child. I have written a list of why I think I have ADHD (I will list at the end) and the things I’ve experienced. I have experienced these issues for as long as I can remember but only in adulthood has it really started to impact my life in such a negative way. I’ve had people think I’m weird, messy, lazy, dramatic, I’ve even been called r******* (I obviously don’t want to write the word) because I kept forgetting things, getting confused and would literally be involved in a conversation and have no idea of what’s going on. I just don’t know if a doctor would take this seriously because I’m 21? Any advice would be helpful!

List of ‘ADHD’ experiences and symptoms:
constantly being told I need to ‘come back into the room’ in secondary school due to daydreaming (Daydreaming and being distracted being brought up at every parents evening)

Being told off for daydreaming in primary school

Being distracted a lot of the time, especially through longer lessons and being told off for causing distractions

Awful attendance at uni due to being late so not wanting to walk into the room with everyone there (no matter what time I woke up!)

Constantly unorganised in both primary and secondary school, loads of detentions due to forgetting books, pens, planner, even my school bag one day

Around 50 detentions in year 7 alone due to not being organised and forgetting homework

Messy room at home a lot of the time, would try and tidy it and would get distracted by things I’d find and would never get done

Struggling to concentrate on school work/homework, would always manage to be distracted by something else going on

Dislike movies and always have from about the age of 8/9 due to the fact I can’t sit still for that long and concentrate on one thing

Find it difficult to hold conversations, find that my mind drifts off and thinks about something else or I’m just looking at whoever’s talking but can’t seem to process what they’re saying. Has always been an issue but have come to realise as an adult that that isn’t normal

Diagnosed with anxiety and depression

Can focus on something I’m really interested in such as writing/drawing but only when I really get into it, don’t like to be disturbed once I’ve managed to focus

Constant fidgeting and making excuses to leave the room, was told off a lot for this in primary, secondary school and college

Memory isn’t the greatest, have learned as an adult to use planners, whiteboards in my room etc. To write down appointments, alarm on my phone to remind me to take pill but even then sometimes I get distracted once the alarms gone off and forget, have to have a really basic planner to write events in otherwise find it a bit overwhelming

Always late to something, not sure why this is, no matter what time I get up or how early I leave I always manage to be running late - most frustrating thing

Losing items a lot, especially stuff like debit card and ID, try to keep myself organised but then will move it and forget to put it back and will lose it, have replaced my debit card multiple times this year

Find it hard to keep on topic, for example will be telling a friend a story but will get distracted and talk about 10 other things and then not even get to my original point

When I was younger I assumed all these things were normal and everyone does these things a lot but when talking with friends and especially when I worked abroad, it was picked up by others, especially when I was constantly forgetting or getting distracted

Thanks for reading if you have this far! Would love to hear your opinions/advice, if anyone has ADHD and can agree or disagree with certain things I’ve said? Anything would be helpful x
Mojmeer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have a form of ADHD, I was diagnosed the day after my 29th birthdays. There are two types of ADHD, you might have the other one. I am not a shrink. Also, beware of confirmation bias.

These two videos might help. GPs are generally useless when it comes to something like this, who knows you might have a good one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDhYtQkuO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECEkHR-p5co
username5378306
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have ADHD, so symptoms seem to overlap with the ones I had. Get a appointment with a GP and asked to get referred for an assessment - you might have to push them to do this. It may however take many months till you are seen.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Honestly you should see someone and get assessed. These are the same issues I struggle with every day + some emotional issues that comes with ADHD and I'm diagnosed. I recommend seeing a psychiatrist tho because GP's are about as useful as a toothpick to wipe your arse when it comes to this ****.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
Honestly you should see someone and get assessed. These are the same issues I struggle with every day + some emotional issues that comes with ADHD and I'm diagnosed. I recommend seeing a psychiatrist tho because GP's are about as useful as a toothpick to wipe your arse when it comes to this ****.
Thank you for the help! I’m kind of relieved I’m not going crazy for thinking I may have ADHD, I’m going to go to my doctor once they open back up properly! (Shes lovely and has known me since I was 5 so think she might take me seriously) if not I’ll look into seeing a psychiatrist - thank you!
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
i have the same concerns actually, but i went to ask my gp and immediately without me elaborating or him asking any questions he said 'haha thats silly of course you dont'. im still struggling with the symptoms, that was 2-3 years ago, im not really sure how he brushed me off like that but now that im also planning to apply for medicine ive learnt that he wasnt exactly allowed to do that. do i have hope in seeking a diagnosis after im 18? im currently 17
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
i have the same concerns actually, but i went to ask my gp and immediately without me elaborating or him asking any questions he said 'haha thats silly of course you dont'. im still struggling with the symptoms, that was 2-3 years ago, im not really sure how he brushed me off like that but now that im also planning to apply for medicine ive learnt that he wasnt exactly allowed to do that. do i have hope in seeking a diagnosis after im 18? im currently 17
That’s awful! Some doctors really don’t know what they’re doing - from what others have told me you can go undiagnosed for a long time (more likely if you’re a female) I would go back but to a different doctor! Note down all the experiences/reasons you think you could have ADHD to help you when discussing it at the appointment (I am undiagnosed but going off advice others have given me) another commenter also said about speaking to a psychiatrist about it instead of a doctor? Could always try that!
username3508100
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Could you book an appointment with a psychiatrist instead? I find some GPs can be quite insensitive when it comes to mental health
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
Could you book an appointment with a psychiatrist instead? I find some GPs can be quite insensitive when it comes to mental health
i think im going to look into it after a levels are over because i dont want anything interfering or breaking my rhythm right now (not like corona is letting me off easy), but its definitely something i will consider after y13. thank you!
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I know the best thing for this is to go to a doctor but I’m so worried about going and them thinking that I’m being dramatic for no reason (I had a therapist tell me this a few months ago about my depression so it’s kind of stuck in my head)

I think I may have ADHD, all my symptoms match up with ADHD and I’ve been experiencing these since I was a child. I have written a list of why I think I have ADHD (I will list at the end) and the things I’ve experienced. I have experienced these issues for as long as I can remember but only in adulthood has it really started to impact my life in such a negative way. I’ve had people think I’m weird, messy, lazy, dramatic, I’ve even been called r******* (I obviously don’t want to write the word) because I kept forgetting things, getting confused and would literally be involved in a conversation and have no idea of what’s going on. I just don’t know if a doctor would take this seriously because I’m 21? Any advice would be helpful!

constantly being told I need to ‘come back into the room’ in secondary school due to daydreaming (Daydreaming and being distracted being brought up at every parents evening)

Being distracted a lot of the time, especially through longer lessons and being told off for causing distractions

Awful attendance at uni due to being late so not wanting to walk into the room with everyone there (no matter what time I woke up!)

Constantly unorganised in both primary and secondary school, loads of detentions due to forgetting books, pens, planner, even my school bag one day

Around 50 detentions in year 7 alone due to not being organised and forgetting homework

Messy room at home a lot of the time, would try and tidy it and would get distracted by things I’d find and would never get done

Struggling to concentrate on school work/homework, would always manage to be distracted by something else going on

Dislike movies and always have from about the age of 8/9 due to the fact I can’t sit still for that long and concentrate on one thing

Find it difficult to hold conversations, find that my mind drifts off and thinks about something else or I’m just looking at whoever’s talking but can’t seem to process what they’re saying. Has always been an issue but have come to realise as an adult that that isn’t normal

Can focus on something I’m really interested in such as writing/drawing but only when I really get into it, don’t like to be disturbed once I’ve managed to focus

Constant fidgeting and making excuses to leave the room, was told off a lot for this in primary, secondary school and college

Memory isn’t the greatest, have learned as an adult to use planners, whiteboards in my room etc. To write down appointments, alarm on my phone to remind me to take pill but even then sometimes I get distracted once the alarms gone off and forget, have to have a really basic planner to write events in otherwise find it a bit overwhelming

Always late to something, not sure why this is, no matter what time I get up or how early I leave I always manage to be running late - most frustrating thing

Losing items a lot, especially stuff like debit card and ID, try to keep myself organised but then will move it and forget to put it back and will lose it, have replaced my debit card multiple times this year

Find it hard to keep on topic, for example will be telling a friend a story but will get distracted and talk about 10 other things and then not even get to my original point

When I was younger I assumed all these things were normal and everyone does these things a lot but when talking with friends and especially when I worked abroad, it was picked up by others, especially when I was constantly forgetting or getting distracted

Thanks for reading if you have this far! Would love to hear your opinions/advice, if anyone has ADHD and can agree or disagree with certain things I’ve said? Anything would be helpful x
I have ADD, and can totally relate to primary school sh*t!

I would literally walk around the class, at times getting rulers sharpening pencils my teachers called me dipsy Dora, or fairy.
My handwriting is also really messy, and my room is messy have been working on organisation skills this year!
Also cried when I was in year 7 my first detention was because I forgot to do the homework too!
I love movies though.
I also cry a lot, especially a week or so before my period, I have the shortest temper going but I care a lot for people. I don't do any eye contact, (getting better) and as a result of me finding it difficult to talk to people (I used to get called Nosey and Miss busy body coz I used to interrupt people) and as a result became shy in my early to late teens.
Definitely worth you getting checked out too.

I also pace around, especially when stressed or even on a daily, You will never catch me revising for half an hour straight!
Last edited by kekedoyouloveme?; 5 months ago
Ivartheboneless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I received a late unexpected diagnosis that resolved my sleep issues and helped me explain a lot. I had some of these issues you list but your doctor is most likely not going to be concerned or take you seriously. I overcompensated a lot most my life. Psychiatrist will interview parents, employer etc I have evidence of school reports. A late diagnosis is difficult, but possible if you have ADHD, but you might struggle to receive it.

You list symptoms but they will want hard evidence. Evidence is often made as part of the tragedy of not knowing your ADHD. You say you use whiteboards etc so do most people. Do you hit your car on curb? Lose items constantly like your yearly bus pass in the same week etc. You have to say how all symptoms and overcompensation is making your life unbearable or effecting quality of life. You have to say your difficulties and you suspect ADHD, this is a diagnosis only for professionals. Although you do identify issues you need to list how these impairments are effecting you and provide evidence. The only issue is most people with Adult ADHD do not notice this until they have treatment and a diagnosis.

Your experiences sound relate-able and genuine but the fact is self-diagnosis or identification is met with suspicion and discrimination. You might need to get support externally before you approach your doctor or even go private.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ivartheboneless)
I received a late unexpected diagnosis that resolved my sleep issues and helped me explain a lot. I had some of these issues you list but your doctor is most likely not going to be concerned or take you seriously. I overcompensated a lot most my life. Psychiatrist will interview parents, employer etc I have evidence of school reports. A late diagnosis is difficult, but possible if you have ADHD, but you might struggle to receive it.

You list symptoms but they will want hard evidence. Evidence is often made as part of the tragedy of not knowing your ADHD. You say you use whiteboards etc so do most people. Do you hit your car on curb? Lose items constantly like your yearly bus pass in the same week etc. You have to say how all symptoms and overcompensation is making your life unbearable or effecting quality of life. You have to say your difficulties and you suspect ADHD, this is a diagnosis only for professionals. Although you do identify issues you need to list how these impairments are effecting you and provide evidence. The only issue is most people with Adult ADHD do not notice this until they have treatment and a diagnosis.

Your experiences sound relate-able and genuine but the fact is self-diagnosis or identification is met with suspicion and discrimination. You might need to get support externally before you approach your doctor or even go private.
Thank you for the advice!
Anonymous #3
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ivartheboneless)

this is very idk disheartening and discouraging tbh :/. ill try to get my school report i have from very young ill try to find teacher notes too (im diff person to the original post)
Ivartheboneless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
this is very idk disheartening and discouraging tbh :/. ill try to get my school report i have from very young ill try to find teacher notes too (im diff person to the original post)
It's just the truth. The social and economical effects of adhd can be far greater cost to society than people realise. Don't lose faith we are just a community that forget our login credentials and reply. But if you're adhd in the UK your support is going to be slim as adults could only be officially diagnosed and treated circa 8 years ago.
Last edited by Ivartheboneless; 4 months ago
Beccawilx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

UPDATE:
since this post, I was officially diagnosed with combined ADHD in December 2020, it has honestly been such a relief and feels like a missing piece to the jigsaw that is my life. Nearly everything makes sense now, I was diagnosed at 21, did NOT need any proof from schools which was what I was mainly concerned about, and the diagnosis only took 7 weeks (England) . PLEASE message me if you are seeking a diagnosis, have any questions or need any help, I am so happy to answer anything❤️❤️❤️
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
hi! I just wanted to ask what the entire process of getting assessed and diagnosed was like, start to finish? I'm still under 18 (I'm 17, but I'll be 18 soon), so the process may differ a bit, but can I ask how you were assessed and what happened afterwards? also do you think it would just be better to go to my GP after I turn 18, since I really don't want my school to be contacted and so I don't have to provide any proof? I'm sorry if that's all a bit much to answer, you don't have to say everything, but any info or advice would be very helpful!! thank you!!
Beccawilx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi! I just wanted to ask what the entire process of getting assessed and diagnosed was like, start to finish? I'm still under 18 (I'm 17, but I'll be 18 soon), so the process may differ a bit, but can I ask how you were assessed and what happened afterwards? also do you think it would just be better to go to my GP after I turn 18, since I really don't want my school to be contacted and so I don't have to provide any proof? I'm sorry if that's all a bit much to answer, you don't have to say everything, but any info or advice would be very helpful!! thank you!!
Hey! Of course I’m happy to help, this may be a long response so apologies for that but just want to make sure I cover everything.
I wrote down all the signs of the fact I may have ADHD from childhood to now and the ones that most impact my life just so I didn’t forget when on the phone, I then rang the doctors and discussed how I felt I may have ADHD and would like to be referred for a diagnosis, he asked me a number of questions and confirmed that it’s rare but was possible, he tried to refer me to his own psychiatrist but that would have taken around 2 years so I used my ‘right to choose’ where I asked to be referred to a psychiatrist of my choice, I picked psychiatry UK (which I would highly recommend!) I then had to fill out a referral form from the Psych UK website and give it to my doctor and the doctor referred me within a week, 2 days later Psych UK emailed me and uploaded 3 forms on my profile on their website for me to fill out and another one for someone close to me to fill out, I chose my mom (she didn’t really agree with the whole adhd diagnosis process and didn’t think I had it so she didn’t put too much effort into her form but this doesn’t go negatively against you as psychiatrists are used to parents being in denial) I then sent those in and got a phone call a few days later to book an appointment for a video call with a psychiatrist (the only reason this took 7 weeks was because I took so long to do the forms and send them in and then had to wait for the video call), I was so nervous but he was amazing, he asked me a load of questions (pretty much the same questions on the form) I gave my answers and then at the end he diagnosed me with combined adhd

I then got my letter of diagnosis a few days later and a choice of whether I wanted to be put on medication, have therapy or just carry on as I am without any intervention.

Hope this helps!!! If you have any more questions feel free to ask xx
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Beccawilx)
Hey! Of course I’m happy to help, this may be a long response so apologies for that but just want to make sure I cover everything.
I wrote down all the signs of the fact I may have ADHD from childhood to now and the ones that most impact my life just so I didn’t forget when on the phone, I then rang the doctors and discussed how I felt I may have ADHD and would like to be referred for a diagnosis, he asked me a number of questions and confirmed that it’s rare but was possible, he tried to refer me to his own psychiatrist but that would have taken around 2 years so I used my ‘right to choose’ where I asked to be referred to a psychiatrist of my choice, I picked psychiatry UK (which I would highly recommend!) I then had to fill out a referral form from the Psych UK website and give it to my doctor and the doctor referred me within a week, 2 days later Psych UK emailed me and uploaded 3 forms on my profile on their website for me to fill out and another one for someone close to me to fill out, I chose my mom (she didn’t really agree with the whole adhd diagnosis process and didn’t think I had it so she didn’t put too much effort into her form but this doesn’t go negatively against you as psychiatrists are used to parents being in denial) I then sent those in and got a phone call a few days later to book an appointment for a video call with a psychiatrist (the only reason this took 7 weeks was because I took so long to do the forms and send them in and then had to wait for the video call), I was so nervous but he was amazing, he asked me a load of questions (pretty much the same questions on the form) I gave my answers and then at the end he diagnosed me with combined adhd

I then got my letter of diagnosis a few days later and a choice of whether I wanted to be put on medication, have therapy or just carry on as I am without any intervention.

Hope this helps!!! If you have any more questions feel free to ask xx
that sounds a lot more straightforward than I was expecting! and don't worry, your reply wasn't too long- it's actually really helpful! it also helps that you can still see your doctor online, since I was quite nervous about having to speak to mine face-to-face. I was thinking that something like a doctor's appointment for ADHD would be classed as non-essential or something like that, and then get put off for ages, so it's nice to know that I won't have to worry about that. also, can I ask, was the whole assessment and diagnosis done online/ over the phone? or did you have to go to the actual doctors at any point? I know you said you spoke to a doctor over the phone and psychiatrist over video call, but I'm still kind of anxious about it. I'm sorry if you made that clear in your answer, I might have missed it! and I'm sorry if it's a bit invasive of me to ask. thank you for the reply and the information!!
Beccawilx
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
that sounds a lot more straightforward than I was expecting! and don't worry, your reply wasn't too long- it's actually really helpful! it also helps that you can still see your doctor online, since I was quite nervous about having to speak to mine face-to-face. I was thinking that something like a doctor's appointment for ADHD would be classed as non-essential or something like that, and then get put off for ages, so it's nice to know that I won't have to worry about that. also, can I ask, was the whole assessment and diagnosis done online/ over the phone? or did you have to go to the actual doctors at any point? I know you said you spoke to a doctor over the phone and psychiatrist over video call, but I'm still kind of anxious about it. I'm sorry if you made that clear in your answer, I might have missed it! and I'm sorry if it's a bit invasive of me to ask. thank you for the reply and the information!!
Honestly going through psychiatry UK made the process so much easier! I don’t have any school reports from my childhood or anything so was worried about the diagnosis but they didn’t need it, I thought the same about ringing the doctors too! But they’re absolutely fine with you being assessed, they just try to make sure you don’t need to physically go into the building and can access all the information from home. Everything was either over the phone, through a video call or online messaging and submitting forms on their online website (they’ll give you your login to your psych UK account once you’ve been referred) the only time I had to actually go into the doctors was to just hand my referral form in which you can find on the psych UK websites, most doctors don’t actually ask for this as they can access it themselves but my doctor had never heard of psych uk before so he researched them while I was on the phone then asked me to fill out and sign the referral form and I just handed it into reception, it’s not invasive at all don’t worry! I’m glad to help, I wouldn’t have got my diagnosis without people explaining it to me, it all seems so confusing and complicated at first!x
Anonymous #3
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Beccawilx)
Honestly going through psychiatry UK made the process so much easier! I don’t have any school reports from my childhood or anything so was worried about the diagnosis but they didn’t need it, I thought the same about ringing the doctors too! But they’re absolutely fine with you being assessed, they just try to make sure you don’t need to physically go into the building and can access all the information from home. Everything was either over the phone, through a video call or online messaging and submitting forms on their online website (they’ll give you your login to your psych UK account once you’ve been referred) the only time I had to actually go into the doctors was to just hand my referral form in which you can find on the psych UK websites, most doctors don’t actually ask for this as they can access it themselves but my doctor had never heard of psych uk before so he researched them while I was on the phone then asked me to fill out and sign the referral form and I just handed it into reception, it’s not invasive at all don’t worry! I’m glad to help, I wouldn’t have got my diagnosis without people explaining it to me, it all seems so confusing and complicated at first!x
From when you got referred to psychiatry uk by the GP to when they emailed you/contacted you with forms how long did it take? A week?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (647)
48.43%
No (689)
51.57%

Watched Threads