The Student Room Group

Embarrassed about wearing wigs

I recently had a big chop because my hair was damaged from years of suffering with low mood. My hair was bum-length and now doesn’t even touch my shoulders. I don’t mind my hair while I’m in the house, but I’m too insecure to go out like this. I’ve ordered a wig to wear while it grows out to an acceptable length but I’m embarrassed about what others will say/think of me. I’m scared people might view me as phony or “a catfish.” I’m worried that people who might be attracted to me with my wig on won’t like me when it’s off. I’ve heard all sorts of nasty things about black girls who wear wigs, which makes me even more nervous. A big chop was the right decision and I know my hair will grow eventually, but I’m still worried about what people may think
Reply 1
I think you’re probably more embarrassed about it than you need to be, purely because you ‘know’ you’re wearing a wig. Quite a lot of people wear wigs for health reasons or even, purely cosmetic reasons. They’re more realistic than they ever used to be. If you feel more self-confident in the wig, then go for it! I don’t think anyone will think you’re a catfish but you could always swap/ change your wig so people know or if easier, just mention it! Again, I really don’t think anyone should judge you for it. You should be able to feel comfortable and be your best self. 😊 It’s always worth reassuring yourself that your hair will grow and the wig will only be a temporary measure.
(edited 3 years ago)
Honey, why do you care so much about what people think???
There is nothing wrong/illegal about wearing a wig.
If you want to wear a wig bc it makes you feel more comfortable or whatever then do it but you don't have to if you don't want to.
Don't focus on what people say, focus on yourself and what makes you feel good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending