The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

.Vengeance.
Pardon? But, what kind of thanks do you think a pair of idiots jostling a 98 year old woman in constant agony deserve? A ****ing disciplinary I'd hope!

I have no idea, I wasn't there, but I sincerely doubt that the paramedics would've have deliberately caused her pain when there was a realistic alternative. Unless they caused an avoidable injury, I honestly don't see what the problem was. After all, speed is paramount to comfort when a situation is severe enough to warrant calling out an ambulance.
HenrySJA
So you're an HCA? Are you not going into medicine then?

I also pitty the poor ambulance crew who may have to attend to you when you require the help of the emergency services.

Well, what does trainee nurse sound like? Just because I also work on the side...

If I ever require the help of the emergency services, I'm hardly going to be EXPECTING them to do a bad job. I'm not even saying they're bad people, I gave a good reason as to why they can seem not to care. You can pity them all you like, I know what good care is and I'm not afraid of speaking my mind, condemning anyone for this is ridiculous.
Reply 42
Only time I've gone in an ambulance, a paramedic arrived first in good time, and the ambulance wasn't long after. The crew were also very nice and professional. So no, I've had an opposite experience to most of you.

Possible explanation for these inconsistencies - most of the above stories seem to involve OAPs, whereas I was about 13. Perhaps they simply don't take calls from elderly people seriously enough.
FyreFight
I have no idea, I wasn't there, but I sincerely doubt that the paramedics would've have deliberately caused her pain when there was a realistic alternative. Unless they caused an avoidable injury, I honestly don't see what the problem was. After all, speed is paramount to comfort when a situation is severe enough to warrant calling out an ambulance.

There was no speed, they were laughing and joking about and took the lift up ONE flight of stairs when the rest of us walked and got there faster (Lifts in elderly care homes are obviously much slower) they then said that they would put her in a stretcher and were told that the lift wasn't big enough (They'd even been in it themselves). This was completely ignored and they placed her, nicely at first, onto the stretcher anyway and proceeded down the corridors... they got to the elevator and realised that, just like we'd said, it wouldn't fit. Then they suggested that they might take the stretcher down the stairs. Which was met with an absolute no from us and warned that they would be reported. It's dangerous and against health and safety regulations, which they knew all too well.

Theeeen... they took her back to her room and dragged her from where she was lying (the drag lift is illegal) into a wheelchair... she was dropped into it with no support for her back. The woman had fallen out of her bed and was clearly in enough pain, without the cancer issues AND her age. It was all a complete mess and went against all training they will have been given, I do know what I'm talking about.

In the case of an elderly person, speed is NOT paramount to comfort when the only reason they are going into hospital is for a check over. WE can't take her to hospital, that's what the ambulance service is for. In fact, we were asked if we could wait and call again because they were right at the end of their shift. Their attitude stank, their care was piss poor and the whole thing warranted a disciplinary. If you don't CARE, don't do the job. Simple.
Reply 44
.Vengeance.
Trainee nurse/Geriatric care asst.

I work with all kind in the health profession and have done for a few years now. My mother is a trained nurse and midwife and would, based on all the things I've heard, say the exact same thing.

So was my mum (both), and then a health visitor and trainee nurse practitioner too. The only reasons she usually gave for half-heartedly putting me off working for the NHS (for whom she worked for 25 years) was the lack of reward/regard/appreciation from bosses (or the government - whoever sorts out pay, working conditions, etc.) and patients towards much of the staff.

I guess the variety of service you get is quite wide across the whole country and differing departments. :s-smilie:
Reply 45
.Vengeance.
Well, what does trainee nurse sound like? Just because I also work on the side...

If I ever require the help of the emergency services, I'm hardly going to be EXPECTING them to do a bad job. I'm not even saying they're bad people, I gave a good reason as to why they can seem not to care. You can pity them all you like, I know what good care is and I'm not afraid of speaking my mind, condemning anyone for this is ridiculous.

The reason why I am ranting at you in particular is because in your first post it seemed as if you were saying that all paramedics were a bunch of ****wits...

.Vengeance.
It's not the fault of the NHS, but yes paramedics are notorious for being incompetent fools.

It read as if you believed we just had no idea as to what we were doing at all. Surely then you must expect a reaction from pro-paramedic forum members?
Reply 46
Run into a couple of rude ambulance crew, probably tired and over-worked and under paid anyway, and be appalled at the enter health care system. :gthumb:
EskimoJo
So was my mum (both), and then a health visitor and trainee nurse practitioner too. The only reasons she usually gave for half-heartedly putting me off working for the NHS (for whom she worked for 25 years) was the lack of reward/regard/appreciation from bosses (or the government - whoever sorts out pay, working conditions, etc.) and patients towards much of the staff.

I guess the variety of service you get is quite wide across the whole country and differing departments. :s-smilie:

My mum started out as an HCA, then did her nurse training and went on to become a midwife. She's looked into being a health visitor too, interestingly. After being an HCA her contact with paramedics has been somewhat limited but she maintains the same cynicism with them. She too complains about how patients treat her and how her bosses treat her. A lot of the complaints will be the same, as the problems are pretty much going to be the same. I think it depends upon the people you deal with and the circumstances under which you are working with them.

I'm aware that my current job might be the only instances in which paramedics can be a little lacking in their care. Maybe the elderly are regarded in a certain light, less important somehow? It wouldn't surprise me.

I'm really sorry for your loss, by the way. I hope she got the kind of care she deserved and no doubt gave in her 25 years of service.
Reply 48
.Vengeance.
There was no speed, they were laughing and joking about and took the lift up ONE flight of stairs when the rest of us walked and got there faster (Lifts in elderly care homes are obviously much slower) they then said that they would put her in a stretcher and were told that the lift wasn't big enough (They'd even been in it themselves). This was completely ignored and they placed her, nicely at first, onto the stretcher anyway and proceeded down the corridors... they got to the elevator and realised that, just like we'd said, it wouldn't fit. Then they suggested that they might take the stretcher down the stairs. Which was met with an absolute no from us and warned that they would be reported. It's dangerous and against health and safety regulations, which they knew all too well.

What kit did they have with them?
HenrySJA
The reason why I am ranting at you in particular is because in your first post it seemed as if you were saying that all paramedics were a bunch of ****wits...

It read as if you believed we just had no idea as to what we were doing at all. Surely then you must expect a reaction from pro-paramedic forum members?

D'you know, I didn't really care enough to think about it. Also, my point still stands. I have had far too many bad experiences with paramedics to even begin to wonder what their possible justification might be. It's not even that it's just paramedics but they're my least favourite medical professional. Only just above HCAs, would you believe?
HenrySJA
What kit did they have with them?

The usual basics, from what I noticed and remember. Blood pressure monitor, all the usual paperwork. To be fair, this was well over a year ago.
Reply 51
.Vengeance.
D'you know, I didn't really care enough to think about it. Also, my point still stands. I have had far too many bad experiences with paramedics to even begin to wonder what their possible justification might be. It's not even that it's just paramedics but they're my least favourite medical professional. Only just above HCAs, would you believe?

Well no wonder why there is generally a hostile relationship between nurses and ambulance staff. Perhaps you should take more of an open mind towards members of the ambulance service - you might actually find that we aren't all that bad. (Unless of course you rub us up the wrong way that is.)
HenrySJA
Well no wonder why there is generally a hostile relationship between nurses and ambulance staff. Perhaps you should take more of an open mind towards members of the ambulance service - you might actually find that we aren't all that bad. (Unless you course you rub us up the wrong way that is.)

Because I don't care what some random on an internet forum thinks of what I say, I automatically am obviously treating paramedics in a hostile manner? I'm a professional, don't be so ridiculous.

Also, are you meaning to tell me that the way a nurse treats a paramedic should ever affect the care they give to their patients? Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what you mean to say.
Reply 53
only time i've been in an ambulance the crew were fantastic. It's unfair to label the nhs based on just one bad experience. It's a thankless enough job (i know as my mum is a neonatal nurse). If it really was bad though i can sympathise but being outraged at the entire health system is a little extreme
I don't any complaints about paramedics, but I do about the NHS.

My Nan has alzheimer's, but is still living at home, being cared for by social service careers 3 times a day, and then my family too. About a month ago, work got started on installing a walk in shower in her home. Due to the amount of work needed (a couple of walls needed to come down), my Nan was put in respite care for a few weeks. While in respite, about 2 weeks ago, she had a heart attack and was rushed to hospital. (a huge thanks to the care home and the paramedics there, she would have died had it not been for the speed that they got her to hospital). However, at this time, me or my parent's didn't know that she had a heart attack, and only knew that she was being taken to hospital for chest pains. We caught a taxi down to the hospital (as we don't drive), and went straight to A&E (where we were told she'd be). We asked at reception, and were just told "she's not here, you'll have to wait". Half hour goes by and we ask again, and get told "she's still not here". We did ask if the receptionist could check for us, as it seemed a really long time to be waiting (nearly an hour now from when the ambulance left the care home with my Nan), and just get told "no". So we wait another 45 minutes, still no sign. Asked again, and got told in a very aggressive tone "look, she's not here, I've told you that twice, I'll let you know if shes here". After a total of 2 hours waiting, we go up, and basically force her to check. Turns out, my Nan had been in the cardiac ward for those 2 hours, being treated for a heart attack. Totally disgusting keeping us waiting for 2 hours. What if my Nan had died?? We would have been waiting in a different part of the hospital because the receptionist couldn't be bothered to do her job right, and my nan would have died alone. Luckily, they treated her for the heart attack fast enough, and although she's still in hospital, she's a lot better.

And another thing. Our local hospital has been cut back a lot from what it used to be, and is now a secondery hospital (most people who go there are from the other hospital in the area, and are better, but still need hospital care). If you go into hospital, you go down to the Royal Glamorgan now. I can accept that. However, they are replacing the old hospital it with a brand new one right across the road from it. From what I know, its going to be state of the art and have most things you need at a hospital. However, it will not have an A&E ward. Meaning, people from the top of the valley will have to travel 15 miles (40 mins at normal speed, probs 20 on blue lights) to A&E, instead of what would have been 5 miles (15 mins at normal speed, 5 mins on blue lights) had there been an A&E at the new hospital. Really, what sense does that make? Ok, it saves money, but I don't it saves that much (compared to what the actual hospital is costing to build), and I'd imagine the petrol the ambulances would have saved by making shorter journeys would have more than paid for the A&E ward.

Rant over. sorry for the length of the post lol.
Reply 55
.Vengeance.
Because I don't care what some random on an internet forum thinks of what I say, I automatically am obviously treating paramedics in a hostile manner? I'm a professional, don't be so ridiculous.

Also, are you meaning to tell me that the way a nurse treats a paramedic should ever affect the care they give to their patients? Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what you mean to say.

It would most certainly seem that way to me.

No. I'm not meaning to tell you that the way a nurse treats a paramedic should ever effect patient care.
I'm sure it wudv been different if it was a red call - i.e. someone was unconscious. They know that there was not much wrong with the old lady who had trouble breathing thats why they were laid back. May be they were laid back that to calm the lady down. Anyhow, paramedics do a great job in general.
HenrySJA
It would most certainly seem that way to me.

Then this makes you ridiculous.
Reply 58
.Vengeance.
Then this makes you ridiculous.

I despair with you. Did you not re-read you original post? :banghead:
I think your experience was pretty bad to be honest. It just shows how little these people care really!

I've had a few experience with ambulance people. The main one that sticks in my mind when a disabled alcoholic man with severe special needs collapsed outside my house. The ambulance took an hour to come, and then when they saw who he was were really sarcastic and rude to the man, poking fun at him and saying things like "oh you again." etc. It turns out this man was being etremely neglected by his carers and social services, and after they refused to take him to hospital (claiming he was not in a bad enough state) he died about 3 weeks later.

I was not there to witness the next bit, but about 2 months ago my mate got her drink spiked in the pub. She has one drink, and started having a strange tingling feeling all over. She went to the toilet and collapsed down a flight of stairs and broke her arm. The ambulance were called and they treated her as if she was drunk, and told A&E not to treat her until shed sobered up. The thing is, that she was having a strange reaction to something and they refused point blank to believe her. They even laughed about her feeling giddy and sleepy, and did not recommend tests were done on her by the doctors.
Now I know lots of people have drunken accidents, but my friends had not been drinking and they ignored all her friends pleas for her to be tested etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending