The Pursuit of A*s - A Year 12 GYG, 2020/2021

Watch
bookausten
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago

Hi, hello!
I've seen plenty of new GYG blogs pop up recently, and as I've recently been interacting more with TSR, I thought I'd do one too! So hello, my name is Nat, and as you can see, I'm going into Year 12 this year! The title, by the way, is a pun on the movie 'The Pursuit of Happyness' in case it seemed quite random. If you have a blog too, link it below so that I can follow! (You can tag me, too!) I really, really hope this format works!

(Disclaimer: Maybe it's a bit of a stretch, aiming for A*s by the end of Year 12, but hey - aim for the moon, land on the stars right?)

Anyway! At first, I wasn't going to do one of these but then I thought that it would probably motivate me to do better throughout the year! So prepare for the ups and downs of a new school through covid-19 :,) In a way, this is also a memento for me to remember what a wacky year this will probably turn out to be! Fingers crossed all goes well!

Time for some background info!
GCSEs

Spoiler:
Show
Triple Science: 7-7-7
Maths: 8
English Lit: 9
English Lang: 8
Food Prep & Nutrition: 9
History: 9
Spanish: 8
RS (sc): 8
Computer Science: 9
Level 3 Award in Algebra (Edexcel)

A Levels
Spoiler:
Show
For my A-Levels, I'm taking:
Maths -- As of 28th September, this is now English Literature
History
Spanish
EPQ

I was going to take Computer Science instead of Spanish, but I realised that I didn't know what job I wanted, and so went for something else I liked that was more open for Uni.

Hobbies/Interests!
Spoiler:
Show
I am a massive fan of books and reading in general! I love fantasy/ adventure books the most, but if you've ever read a really good book, please recommend!
I write poetry sometimes
I love video games, but mostly narrative ones. (See: Naughty Dog, Red Dead Redemption, etc).
I enjoy watching movies with Spanish subtitles when I don't have the energy to practice properly! On that note, I adore Disney and Marvel movies. Maybe I'll disclose my celebrity crushes later in this thread but for now, they're my secret
My favourite musical is Hamilton, and has been since it came out!
I love finding out about archaeology and how ruins have been discovered (like Knossos in Greece), although I can't see myself doing it as a career. (For now, at least.)
I love to bake! Even considered applying to the GBBO haha! You might see some pictures of my bakes pop up, we'll have to see.
I'm sure there's plenty more that I haven't mentioned, but these are off the top of my head!

_______________________ :bubbles:________________________

Goals This Year
Spoiler:
Show

- To make at least three new friends! (It's a new school, you gotta do what you gotta do!)
- Not rushing in the morning! So, don't get up at the last minute. Usually I get through the first week of school fine, but then wake up 10 minutes before I have to leave for the rest of the year, yikes!
- To work really hard; by which I mean, put in all the effort I can. Obviously, finding a balance is what we're aiming for here.
- Join some clubs, like debating -- not sure what other ones are on offer!
-Swim at least once a week (I used to swim competitively, but due to a situation, I had to stop in November 2019 I miss it.
-Establish a routine to keep notes, get them organised, and revise!

- Be on top of revision and notes.
- Still swimming!
-Maybe start a club, if we're lacking?
- Possibly have a clearer idea of universities and careers!
- Ensure that my sleep cycle doesn't slip during the holidays!

Post Masterlist!

Schedule
Spoiler:
Show

Thursday 3rd September - Orientation/Induction Day :yy:
Friday 4th September - First Day of School:yy:
Friday 15th October - Half Term!:yy:
Monday 4th November - Term Resumes:yy:
Wednesday 25th November - Parent's Evening
Friday 18th December - Christmas Holidays!
-to be updated-

__________________________:emog:________________________

Tag List!
Let me know if you'd like in or out!

Hope to see you all soon! :macarena:
Last edited by bookausten; 6 months ago
killak434
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My college stated to me, you will get B’s and C’s most of the year but this doesn’t mean you won’t get A* next year. I got A stars in most of my tests. Remember by the end of year 12, you will not get A stars for the full spec, but certainly for the AS spec with hard work. I’m currently predicted all A stars. Good luck.
bookausten
Rep:
?
(Original post by killak434)
My college stated to me, you will get B’s and C’s most of the year but this doesn’t mean you won’t get A* next year. I got A stars in most of my tests. Remember by the end of year 12, you will not get A stars for the full spec, but certainly for the AS spec with hard work. I’m currently predicted all A stars. Good luck.
thank you for the heads up! we'll consider this part 1 then, haha - part 2 will, fingers crossed, be the a* year :,) congrats for the a stars, that's amazing!
killak434
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No problem. I’ll give you a few tips. College is nothing like GCSE, if you don’t do work off your own back you will get low grades. I know a student who got straight 9’s in all his a levels. I got a few 8’s and the rest 7’s and 6’s. He scored 50% in most of his maths and I scored high 90’s. Extra work is the key. Always be asking your teachers for extra work and what else you can do. Always look for improvements, nothing will ever be perfect. Develop your exam skills, eg essay writing if you do subjects like economics etc.
bookausten
Rep:
?
No problem. I’ll give you a few tips. College is nothing like GCSE, if you don’t do work off your own back you will get low grades. I know a student who got straight 9’s in all his a levels. I got a few 8’s and the rest 7’s and 6’s. He scored 50% in most of his maths and I scored high 90’s. Extra work is the key. Always be asking your teachers for extra work and what else you can do. Always look for improvements, nothing will ever be perfect. Develop your exam skills, eg essay writing if you do subjects like economics etc.
that's amazing advice, thank you! i'll definitely keep this in mind :')
killak434
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Also don’t let your ego get to you. I think this was a major problem I faced coming close to lockdown. I spent the year getting straight A stars because I worked extremely hard and then I stopped because I decided I won’t drop grades. This led to me having to go over loads of work to remember. Just because u get an A star in one test doesn’t mean u will get an A star in the next. Always stay consistent in terms of hard work and revision. Make timetables, u do not want to end up working all day. Some break time is good and it is much better for you in terms of motivation, when you will break in the day
bookausten
Rep:
?
Also don’t let your ego get to you. I think this was a major problem I faced coming close to lockdown. I spent the year getting straight A stars because I worked extremely hard and then I stopped because I decided I won’t drop grades. This led to me having to go over loads of work to remember. Just because u get an A star in one test doesn’t mean u will get an A star in the next. Always stay consistent in terms of hard work and revision. Make timetables, u do not want to end up working all day. Some break time is good and it is much better for you in terms of motivation, when you will break in the day
ooh i see. that's very true! thanks again for telling me this, i will check myself often haha
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
All the best! :hugs:
I love your blog banner btw!
bookausten
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
ahh thank you so much! :,) glad you like it!
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Best of luck, I love your OP
bookausten
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
thank youu! :,)
bookausten
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
also, if either of you want a tag let me know! :,)
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Happy to be tagged

Good luck with year 12, I moved to a college for sixth form where I knew nobody but manage to settle in really quickly, if you are stuggling to meet people, make sure you join any clubs that you are interested in as you will meet people with similar interests
bookausten
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca216)
Happy to be tagged

Good luck with year 12, I moved to a college for sixth form where I knew nobody but manage to settle in really quickly, if you are stuggling to meet people, make sure you join any clubs that you are interested in as you will meet people with similar interests
ahh thank you, will keep that in mind! + ooh that's so nice to hear
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bookausten)
also, if either of you want a tag let me know! :,)
Tag me please :yep:
I wish I could be bothered to put as much effort into my blog OP as everyone else on here :innocent:
bookausten
Rep:
?
Tag me please :yep:
I wish I could be bothered to put as much effort into my blog OP as everyone else on here :innocent:
wiil do ! if you decide to try anything and you need any help, let me know!
hw8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
For humanities / social sciences, I would highly recommend extra reading daily throughout all of year 12. Magazines, news, books, online lectures, etc. It really helps you to maintain your knowledge as you are effectively refreshing your subjects daily, but also means that you will pick up argument structures and see your learning in context.
bookausten
Rep:
?
(Original post by hw8)
For humanities / social sciences, I would highly recommend extra reading daily throughout all of year 12. Magazines, news, books, online lectures, etc. It really helps you to maintain your knowledge as you are effectively refreshing your subjects daily, but also means that you will pick up argument structures and see your learning in context.
that's actually so true, i hadn't thought of that! do you have any go-to sources?
bookausten
Rep:
?
Good day!

Sorry if the flashy first post bothers anyone haha, I like the first pages of anything to look neat :,) (because they will undoubtedly get messier as we progress.)

Sixth Form Prep
Until Thursday, I'm pretty much just preparing for my first couple of days. We got an email about new safety measures, and the one way system will either be super easy to navigate, or will cause me to get lost so quickly haha
I have completed all the bridging work (just), but I think I need to do some extra just to keep me sane (not much!)

Spoiler:
Show

My history work was pretty easy, although I wasn't sure how they wanted it to be presented so I wrote it out twice and I'll give in the one that matches everyone else's.
Spanish was mostly just revise tenses and listen to radio/read news etc. So I started to add Spanish subtitles to movies!
Maths was a bit of a pain, tbh - 99 pages!! of questions, and every now and again the answers would go awol so I couldn't mark my answers! :woo:
The extra stuff will mostly be writing my history technique cheat sheet (with notes collected from my old history teacher, who did teach A Level!) and make a quizlet to remember some key events that I need to know!) The extra stuff is pretty much my To Do List for today and the rest of the week - Will update when I've made some progress!

Other than that, I'll just need to do some folder organising (I have the cutest mini planner! I know studying isn't all about the aesthetic, but it certainly helps!) Additionally, I hope that all of these exclamation points don't come off as too loud, I think I'm just a very excitable person. (<- that just looks rude to me!) Thank you to everyone who has replied already, you've got some amazing tips!

I'm definitely looking forward to Thursday to get to know everything at a new school, meet form tutors, etc. We're going to be using microsoft teams somehow as well -- I'm just wondering if that means classes will be split or something?
Spoiler:
Show
Also, does anybody know how to get the links from an individual reply? I'm so lost!

Tags :cube:
Let me know if you want to in or out!
Last edited by bookausten; 9 months ago
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bookausten)
Good day!

Sorry if the flashy first post bothers anyone haha, I like the first pages of anything to look neat :,) (because they will undoubtedly get messier as we progress.)

Sixth Form Prep
Until Thursday, I'm pretty much just preparing for my first couple of days. We got an email about new safety measures, and the one way system will either be super easy to navigate, or will cause me to get lost so quickly haha
I have completed all the bridging work (just), but I think I need to do some extra just to keep me sane (not much!)

Spoiler:
Show

My history work was pretty easy, although I wasn't sure how they wanted it to be presented so I wrote it out twice and I'll give in the one that matches everyone else's.
Spanish was mostly just revise tenses and listen to radio/read news etc. So I started to add Spanish subtitles to movies!
Maths was a bit of a pain, tbh - 99 pages!! of questions, and every now and again the answers would go awol so I couldn't mark my answers! :woo:
The extra stuff will mostly be writing my history technique cheat sheet (with notes collected from my old history teacher, who did teach A Level!) and make a quizlet to remember some key events that I need to know!) The extra stuff is pretty much my To Do List for today and the rest of the week - Will update when I've made some progress!

Other than that, I'll just need to do some folder organising (I have the cutest mini planner! I know studying isn't all about the aesthetic, but it certainly helps!) Additionally, I hope that all of these exclamation points don't come off as too loud, I think I'm just a very excitable person. (<- that just looks rude to me!) Thank you to everyone who has replied already, you've got some amazing tips!

I'm definitely looking forward to Thursday to get to know everything at a new school, meet form tutors, etc. We're going to be using microsoft teams somehow as well -- I'm just wondering if that means classes will be split or something?
Spoiler:
Show
Also, does anybody know how to get the links from an individual reply? I'm so lost!

Tags :cube:
Let me know if you want to in or out!
My uni started using Microsoft teams too - your classes don’t have to be split if they aren’t originally planned to be so. The teams meetings can allow a large number of people in so you’ll most likely have everyone in your class with you at the same time (for better or worse haha)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (78)
27.66%
England (95)
33.69%
Belgium (23)
8.16%
Germany (36)
12.77%
Spain (4)
1.42%