harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The LNAT is an online aptitude test used by certain universities to help them to shortlist candidates. It tests general comprehension and reasoning skills (not legal knowledge) via a combination of multiple-choice questions which make up your LNAT score plus an essay. You can take it before or after submitting your UCAS form but can only take it once per admissions cycle. The LNAT Universities in the UK are Oxford, LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Glasgow and SOAS (not compulsory at SOAS apart from for BTEC students although a high LNAT score may result in a better offer).

The average MCQ score varies from year to year. There is no official pass mark although as a guide, the average score in the 2018/19 cycle was 23 and in the 2019/20 cycle it was 21.5. However, many successful applicants scored lower than this at less competive unis like Glasgow, while most successful applicants to the more competive unis like LSE and Oxford scored higher (26 and 29 respectively in 2019). Nottingham is the only uni to have a cut off point below which people will be automatically rejected for Law which in 2019/20 was 21. Along with Kings, however, Nottingham seemed to give out a lot of alternative offers to otherwise strong candidates who got an LNAT score of 20 or below.

Only Oxford, UCL and Bristol give the essay a numerical score although Kings uses it to distinguish between borderline applicants and Durham considers it "holistically" along with other aspects of the application. LSE do not currently consider the essay at all in their assessment of applicants.

In order to guarantee that your application will be considered, you need to sit the LNAT by 20th October 2020 for Oxford, or 20th January 2021 for all the other institutions. If applying to Kings, they encourage their applicants to sit the LNAT by mid December.
Last edited by harrysbar; 2 weeks ago
Tinders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
harrysbar do you know why Cambridge doesn't require the LNAT considering that Oxford does?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tinders)
harrysbar do you know why Cambridge doesn't require the LNAT considering that Oxford does?
Yes it's because they have their own test called the Cambridge Law Test (CLT)
Tinders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yes it's because they have their own test called the Cambridge Law Test (CLT)
Oh okay, thank you so much!
Uni_Smart
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone who has been through both the LNAT and Cambridge CLT last year (I received places at all of the universities I applied to), I'd be more than happy to help out any prospective applicants by proofreading/providing feedback on essays as I know how stressful the process can be. Feel free to PM me for details.
AaftaabSidhu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
HEY how do I prepare for LNAT especially the essay part?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
(Original post by AaftaabSidhu)
HEY how do I prepare for LNAT especially the essay part?
I would use the Arbitio website to help you with your preparation for the LNAT
lapeste
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey, does anyone have any other LNAT practice recommendations other than Arbitio and the Mark Shepherd book?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Euphoria101 any suggestions please?
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Euphoria101 any suggestions please?
Thanks for the tag, but unfortunately I only know of the lawyer portal as another option. It’s good though, it’s free and it’s a bank of questions so if you make an account you can basically work your way through the questions! It’s kind of easy though which is why I’d only recommend it for ‘beginners’ if ygm!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Euphoria101)
Thanks for the tag, but unfortunately I only know of the lawyer portal as another option. It’s good though, it’s free and it’s a bank of questions so if you make an account you can basically work your way through the questions! It’s kind of easy though which is why I’d only recommend it for ‘beginners’ if ygm!
Thanks - it's always good for people to have some suggestions for free resources as not everyone wants to pay for Arbitio (although from what people say it sounds worth it).

brandon1102 have you tried the lawyer portal?
lapeste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Euphoria101)
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out once I'm done doing mocks :^)
salviakasana03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni_Smart)
As someone who has been through both the LNAT and Cambridge CLT last year (I received places at all of the universities I applied to), I'd be more than happy to help out any prospective applicants by proofreading/providing feedback on essays as I know how stressful the process can be. Feel free to PM me for details.
yeah that'll be really helpful mind if I message you?
Uni_Smart
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salviakasana03)
yeah that'll be really helpful mind if I message you?
Not at all!

Lots of people have already so do feel free.
brandon1102
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks - it's always good for people to have some suggestions for free resources as not everyone wants to pay for Arbitio (although from what people say it sounds worth it).

brandon1102 have you tried the lawyer portal?
Hii
I will take a look at it, thanks!
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by minniemouse848)
anyone have a aribito account they don't mind sharing please, pm me
Account?
salviakasana03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The LNAT is an online aptitude test used by certain universities to help them to shortlist candidates. It tests general comprehension and reasoning skills (not legal knowledge) via a combination of multiple-choice questions which make up your LNAT score plus an essay. You can take it before or after submitting your UCAS form but can only take it once per admissions cycle. The LNAT Universities in the UK are Oxford, LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Glasgow and SOAS (not compulsory at SOAS apart from for BTEC students although a high LNAT score may result in a better offer).

The average MCQ score varies from year to year. There is no official pass mark although as a guide, the average score in the 2018/19 cycle was 23 and in the 2019/20 cycle it was 21.5. However, many successful applicants scored lower than this at less competive unis like Glasgow, while most successful applicants to the more competive unis like Oxford, UCL and LSE scored higher. Nottingham is the only uni to have a cut off point below which people will be automatically rejected for Law which in 2019/20 was 21. Along with Kings, however, Nottingham seemed to give out a lot of alternative offers to otherwise strong candidates who got an LNAT score of 20 or below.

Only Oxford, UCL and Bristol give the essay a numerical score although Kings uses it to distinguish between borderline applicants and Durham considers it "holistically" along with other aspects of the application. LSE do not currently consider the essay at all in their assessment of applicants.

In order to guarantee that your application will be considered, you need to sit the LNAT by 20th October 2020 for Oxford, or 20th January 2021 for all the other institutions. If applying to Kings, they encourage their applicants to sit the LNAT by mid December.
Does anyone know how accurate the ultimate LNAT guide by rohan Aggarwal is?
I’ve been getting 28-37 on it and I think it might be easier cause the test is supposed to be really tough nut to crack
Anyone who has already given this year’s paper or the previous ones might me able to dispel some myths even though it really is subjective
nyx2911
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salviakasana03)
Does anyone know how accurate the ultimate LNAT guide by rohan Aggarwal is?
I’ve been getting 28-37 on it and I think it might be easier cause the test is supposed to be really tough nut to crack
Anyone who has already given this year’s paper or the previous ones might me able to dispel some myths even though it really is subjective
Same here dude , I really hope it’s accurate lol
Unihelp43
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seen on Glasgow unis website that an LNAT might not be needed, should I book it?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unihelp43)
Seen on Glasgow unis website that an LNAT might not be needed, should I book it?
Are you applying to any other LNAT unis?

If not I would ask Glasgow for an update before booking the test as it seems that they may not be using LNAT anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.69%
I'm not sure (32)
4.43%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (226)
31.26%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (349)
48.27%

Watched Threads