Student_xx03
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So tomorrow is my enrolment at college and I still haven’t decided my subjects so it’s really stressing me out.
At gcse maths we weren’t taught the grade 8,9, we were taught some of the grade 7 but it was very little.
For a level maths do the teachers expect you to know the basics from gcse to expand at a level. As far as I know I don’t know the basics from gcse. So now I’m thinking to myself should I maybe drop maths and change it. Do you think I would struggle in maths because I don’t know the basics from gcse? I know basics from the grade 5 and 6 but not grade 7,8 and 9.
I got a 6 in my gcse as well
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student_xx03)
So tomorrow is my enrolment at college and I still haven’t decided my subjects so it’s really stressing me out.
At gcse maths we weren’t taught the grade 8,9, we were taught some of the grade 7 but it was very little.
For a level maths do the teachers expect you to know the basics from gcse to expand at a level. As far as I know I don’t know the basics from gcse. So now I’m thinking to myself should I maybe drop maths and change it. Do you think I would struggle in maths because I don’t know the basics from gcse? I know basics from the grade 5 and 6 but not grade 7,8 and 9.
If you're not confident with GCSE level maths, then A level maths might not be the best idea...

What do you want to study and what other A levels are you going to do?
Student_xx03
Rep:
?
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
If you're not confident with GCSE level maths, then A level maths might not be the best idea...

What do you want to study and what other A levels are you going to do?
Biology and psychology x
AstaYunoo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I scraped a 7 at GCSE maths and fared much better at A level maths. You should take it for the first week or so and if you're not vibing with it then drop it straight away because Alevel maths is completely different from gcse maths (none of those plan/side view or congruence triangle stuff)
Student_xx03
Rep:
?
(Original post by AstaYunoo)
I scraped a 7 at GCSE maths and fared much better at A level maths. You should take it for the first week or so and if you're not vibing with it then drop it straight away because Alevel maths is completely different from gcse maths (none of those plan/side view or congruence triangle stuff)
Thank you so much!!
I was thinking of taking 4 a levels and if I’m really not feeling maths then I know that I have a backup x
gurungg48
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student_xx03)
Usually level 7 at GCSE maths is best for taking A level maths. However it really varies person to person. I have taught some students maths A level student who had level 6 in maths and they have gone on to get good result. However some students had level 7 but their work ethics wasn’t right and I never recommended A level maths for them. You need to have a strong study plan and work ethics. Especially GCSE syllabus wasn’t covered fully this year due to pandemic . Good luck
Last edited by gurungg48; 1 month ago
Deisosospiw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AstaYunoo)
Wat u get ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.1%
I'm not sure (59)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (650)
49.28%

Watched Threads