Cambridge MPhil Education (Psychology and Education)

Watch
wesgwl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im thinking of applying to the MPhil in Psychology and education for 2021/2022 and was wondering if there are any are any prospective/ current/ former students who went through the programme? Seems like an interesting taught/ research programme. I intend to go into clinical/ educational psychology so Im wondering if this programme is suited for me or mainly for those more interested in a research route.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wesgwl)
Im thinking of applying to the MPhil in Psychology and education for 2021/2022 and was wondering if there are any are any prospective/ current/ former students who went through the programme? Seems like an interesting taught/ research programme. I intend to go into clinical/ educational psychology so Im wondering if this programme is suited for me or mainly for those more interested in a research route.
Probably best to ask in the postgrads thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6654938
Psycholtee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hiya. I am now about to begin the course, do you have any specific questions? 😊
wesgwl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Psycholtee)
Hiya. I am now about to begin the course, do you have any specific questions? 😊
Hey! I am currently working on my application, planning to submit it by November hopefully, I have a couple question I'll just list down below:

1) Would this programme be more suited towards research or clinical careers? I intend to pursue clinical or educational psychology after graduating
2) For the written task in the application, are they more interested in your writing ability or research interests?
3) When did you apply for the programme and did they interview you?
4) If you applied using predicted grades, what was the conditions you needed to meet in your conditional offer? (if you don't mind me asking)
5) Which college did you pick?

Thanks!
Psycholtee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hiya. Sorry for the delay.

I also sent my application by November so that I could be open for scholarship opportunities.

1. I would say that the programme is geared towards either honestly as both route will involve some level of research, I am also hoping to pursue the ed psychology route.

2) For the written task in the application again I would say that it's more about your writing ability should adequately illustrate critical thinking and how you express ideas. The written task doesn't have to be about an area of interest if I remember rightly but personally I think it made my application more cohesive as helped to illustrate my passions, thus enhancing what I had already illustrated in other parts of the application.

3) I applied by November and didn't have an interview. I heard back in mid feb.
4) I applied using my finalised university grades and so my only condition was illustrating I could fund the course.
5) I picked Wolfson as I wanted a mature student college and love it's less traditional vibe, it also had a good amount of scholarship opportunities (ironically though I was not awarded one). Honestly location wasn't my biggest thing to bear in mind as Cambridge isn't really that big of a city.
wesgwl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hiya. Sorry for the delay.

I also sent my application by November so that I could be open for scholarship opportunities.

1. I would say that the programme is geared towards either honestly as both route will involve some level of research, I am also hoping to pursue the ed psychology route.

2) For the written task in the application again I would say that it's more about your writing ability should adequately illustrate critical thinking and how you express ideas. The written task doesn't have to be about an area of interest if I remember rightly but personally I think it made my application more cohesive as helped to illustrate my passions, thus enhancing what I had already illustrated in other parts of the application.

3) I applied by November and didn't have an interview. I heard back in mid feb.
4) I applied using my finalised university grades and so my only condition was illustrating I could fund the course.
5) I picked Wolfson as I wanted a mature student college and love it's less traditional vibe, it also had a good amount of scholarship opportunities (ironically though I was not awarded one). Honestly location wasn't my biggest thing to bear in mind as Cambridge isn't really that big of a city.
Hey! Thanks for the replies, appreciate it! I am almost done with my application, just tidying up my written task and CV. Couple other things if you dont mind me asking:

1) What are the modules you are learning? Can't remember where I read it but I was quite interested in the module on 'Impact of Technological Advancements in Education', not sure if its taught this academic year as I cant seem to find the modules taught on the Cambridge website.

2) How are you finding the course so far?

3) What do you think are the most important/ dealbreakers in the application process? Like, which components are things they really look out for and award placing on? My grades arent outstanding (not the top student but usually high 2:1s or 1st, overall 1st so far), references I'm a little iffy on how good they'll turn out, written task should be pretty good, experience-wise no experience in research though I have quite a bit of work and voluntary experience in the education/ mental health sector. Just want to manage my expectations

Thanks again!
Psycholtee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! Thanks for the replies, appreciate it! I am almost done with my application, just tidying up my written task and CV. Couple other things if you dont mind me asking:

1) What are the modules you are learning? Can't remember where I read it but I was quite interested in the module on 'Impact of Technological Advancements in Education', not sure if its taught this academic year as I cant seem to find the modules taught on the Cambridge website.

2) How are you finding the course so far?

3) What do you think are the most important/ dealbreakers in the application process? Like, which components are things they really look out for and award placing on? My grades arent outstanding (not the top student but usually high 2:1s or 1st, overall 1st so far), references I'm a little iffy on how good they'll turn out, written task should be pretty good, experience-wise no experience in research though I have quite a bit of work and voluntary experience in the education/ mental health sector. Just want to manage my expectations

Thanks again!
Hiya,

In terms of modules we cover the 5 main areas of psychology (social, cognitive, individual differences, biological and developmental) plus research methods and a separate quantitative data module. As for what your modules will be next year I am not to sure, but check the FAQ page on the website but there will be some changes to your year group.

So far I have just have introductions and orientations so can't really give me thoughts on the course as we start on Monday properly. But I am excited by the researchers in the department and to explore my thesis area.

Honestly I have no idea what deal breakers would be but would say just really try to reflect your passion consistently in your application so your 'why' on a personal level vs the 'generic Cambridge is amazing' - deffo mention this obvs but I think they want to see your genuine motivations for the research you want to do. I don't think your research necessarily matters in that there are people on my course from all different backgrounds as in not ever having studied psychology. So ultimately its about reflecting interest and how you wish to engage in the course and research generally.

All the best with your application!
wesgwl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hiya,

In terms of modules we cover the 5 main areas of psychology (social, cognitive, individual differences, biological and developmental) plus research methods and a separate quantitative data module. As for what your modules will be next year I am not to sure, but check the FAQ page on the website but there will be some changes to your year group.

So far I have just have introductions and orientations so can't really give me thoughts on the course as we start on Monday properly. But I am excited by the researchers in the department and to explore my thesis area.

Honestly I have no idea what deal breakers would be but would say just really try to reflect your passion consistently in your application so your 'why' on a personal level vs the 'generic Cambridge is amazing' - deffo mention this obvs but I think they want to see your genuine motivations for the research you want to do. I don't think your research necessarily matters in that there are people on my course from all different backgrounds as in not ever having studied psychology. So ultimately its about reflecting interest and how you wish to engage in the course and research generally.

All the best with your application!
Thanks! All the best with the course too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.68%
I'm not sure (54)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (567)
48.38%

Watched Threads