Just got a new bicycle and need a LOT of help.

Watch
Gillzy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated as im having quite a few issues.

The first one is that I bought this new mountain bike today and it turns out the gears arent working correctly in the front cog so I want to know if i have the smallest chainring selected at the front and the higher gear at back (1/5-6) will this damage the bike?

The second question is whats the best way to set off from lights and such as my bike is quite high up on the saddle as thats the way the folks at halfords told me to have it, with my feet barely touching the ground. I keep falling over whenever I stop and need a bit of advice whether I should adjust the seat or just live with it.

Lastly I want to know which gear I have to use on the left and right sides and if it matters (genuinely have no idea how it works after watching hours of videos on it.)
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gillzy)
If anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated as im having quite a few issues.

The first one is that I bought this new mountain bike today and it turns out the gears arent working correctly in the front cog so I want to know if i have the smallest chainring selected at the front and the higher gear at back (1/5-6) will this damage the bike?

The second question is whats the best way to set off from lights and such as my bike is quite high up on the saddle as thats the way the folks at halfords told me to have it, with my feet barely touching the ground. I keep falling over whenever I stop and need a bit of advice whether I should adjust the seat or just live with it.

Lastly I want to know which gear I have to use on the left and right sides and if it matters (genuinely have no idea how it works after watching hours of videos on it.)
If you bought it from halfords, take it back and get the gears adjusted.
When you come to a stop, just slide your bum forwards and sit in the top bar while stopped. Then remount when you kick off. A higher saddle is generally easier to cycle (while moving).
Don't watch videos on gears, just ride your bike (after getting them sorted)
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 weeks ago
Gillzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
If you bought it from halfords, take it back and get the years adjusted.
When you come to a stop, just slide your bum forwards and sit in the top bar while stopped. Then recount when you kick off. A higher saddle is generally easier to cycle (while moving).
Don't watch videos on gears, just ride your bike (after getting them sorted)
Thanks for the response, I plan to take my bike back tomorrow but I really dont want to have to cycle it down to the centre as its a pain to get to and didnt want to look stupid as of anxiety and all that.

Also good idea about the top bar when at the lights, ill give that a try.

Thanks man.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the response, I plan to take my bike back tomorrow but I really dont want to have to cycle it down to the centre as its a pain to get to and didnt want to look stupid as of anxiety and all that.

Also good idea about the top bar when at the lights, ill give that a try.

Thanks man.
Halfords will deal will all levels of customers. If you think there's a problem, give them a chance to sort it, but ring first to make sure they have 15 min spare in the workshop.
Gillzy
Rep:
?
Halfords will deal will all levels of customers. If you think there's a problem, give them a chance to sort it, but ring first to make sure they have 15 min spare in the workshop.
Will do, also now that I think about the traffic lights advice I may have shot myself in the foot so to speak with that one as I had a drinks holder fitted there so might smack my nuts on it xD
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Will do, also now that I think about the traffic lights advice I may have shot myself in the foot so to speak with that one as I had a drinks holder fitted there so might smack my nuts on it xD
I can't imagine how a drinks holder (or anything else) would stop you doing this. Everyone does it if you can't do a track stand yet :-)
Gillzy
Rep:
?
I can't imagine how a drinks holder (or anything else) would stop you doing this. Everyone does it if you can't do a track stand yet :-)
uhhhh whats a track stand?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
uhhhh whats a track stand?
It's where you balance your bike still on the pedals when you stop. It's what track cyclists do so you don't unclip from the pedals.
It wasn't a serious comment, just ignore it.
Gillzy
Rep:
?
It's where you balance your bike still on the pedals when you stop. It's what track cyclists do so you don't unclip from the pedals.
It wasn't a serious comment, just ignore it.
ohh okay ive just looked it up and I am never going to even attempt that as I know ill fall off xD
Gillzy
Rep:
?
Just a quick update:

Took the bike to halfords and they showed me how to properly use the gears and now im able to get into 2/3rd gears, they said 2 more weeks riding like I was and they would have suspected id have broken or damaged the chain.
Also im now slowly getting used to the bike and am able to safely move off from junctions and lights, unless its on a hill which im still working on. so many thanks for that tip it really helped.

I plan to try and get onto the moderate endurance courses (blue) in the next few months so wish me luck and thanks again!
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just a quick update:

Took the bike to halfords and they showed me how to properly use the gears and now im able to get into 2/3rd gears, they said 2 more weeks riding like I was and they would have suspected id have broken or damaged the chain.
Also im now slowly getting used to the bike and am able to safely move off from junctions and lights, unless its on a hill which im still working on. so many thanks for that tip it really helped.

I plan to try and get onto the moderate endurance courses (blue) in the next few months so wish me luck and thanks again!
Good to hear and hope you enjoy it. Starting on a hill is a bit of a pain to start with. The golden rule is to change down into a low gear, before you stop/start, while you're spinning gently before you get to the hill. Never change gear when you stop then start to peddle hard. You're asking for the chain to jump off.
Gibson441
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago

The first one is that I bought this new mountain bike today
Since you are a biker now, one of the most important things to keep in mind "how to tighten a bike chain". If you do not have this in mind, you will face serious problems in the future.
Good luck.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 hours ago
(Original post by Gibson441)
Since you are a biker now, one of the most important things to keep in mind "how to tighten a bike chain". If you do not have this in mind, you will face serious problems in the future.
Good luck.
Can't say I do this very often, but I am a bit of a slacker 😉.

However , some regular maintenance is useful:
* Inflate tyres to ~right pressure and check for wear / splits
* Clean and "oil" chain and gears
* Check brake blocks
... All fairly easy to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
23.81%
No (80)
76.19%

Watched Threads