The Student Room Group

Updating the TSR Dentistry Wiki, and other info

TSR's Dentistry wiki has become quite out of date now. :redface:

After a couple of PM conversations, @Mesopotamian. and @Nuttyy are going to use this thread to help update it, with a little technical help from me. :party2:

There's also some of the sticky threads in the Dentistry forum that could do with a once over, but at this point any and all help is extremely welcome. :heart:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great work. Thank you so much.Is it possible to include amended entry requirements for the 'CLASS OF COVID' cohort. For eg. resits - will summer 2021 exams be considered resits for this cohort ?
The "Dentistry at University" page looks good, the general information about applying is still relevant, however the section on the UCAT (on the same page) needs to be updated:

It is now called UCAT rather than UKCAT

UCAT testing is from 03/08/20 - 01/10/20 this year

UCAS deadline needs to be amended to 15th October 2020 (rather than 2013)

Decision Analysis is now called Decision Making

Verbal Reasoning = 21 minutes, Decision Making = 31 minutes, Quantitative Reasoning 36 minutes, Abstract Reasoning 13 minutes, SJT = 26 minutes

Tests taken in EU = £75, tests taken outside EU = £120 (significant increase since 2013)

Also @04MR17, which sticky threads/ what info did you think needs going over? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nik2904
Great work. Thank you so much.Is it possible to include amended entry requirements for the 'CLASS OF COVID' cohort. For eg. resits - will summer 2021 exams be considered resits for this cohort ?

Hello, at the moment, I don't have any information on this. I'll try and glean some information and if I do, I'll be sure to post it on TSR, however as I'm a student, I can't guarantee I'll be privy to this information.

Not sure if Nuttyy knows anything about Manchester's requirements
Original post by Nik2904

Would a short article help with "a guide to Dentistry applications during a pandemic" ?
I think this might be something that can be arranged. It's a lot of effort to get detailed entry requirement information and so it doesn't always get re-done every year (hence this thread), but I might be able to sort something out that we can include in the 2021 Dentistry Applicants' thread for people unsure or nervous about what's different this year.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Updated info for Barts (QMUL):

Places available: 70

Typical offer: A*AA

A Level subjects: Chemistry or biology as 1st subject, with another science subject (Chemistry, biology, Physics or maths) and any other subject excluding Critical thinking or general studies or further maths if maths taken too.

GCSE requirements: 777666 to include biology, chemistry, English Language and Mathematics

Graduate applicant requirements: 2.1 in any subject, completed in the natural length intended for that degree further AS/ A Level requirements if degree does not contain sufficient biology and chemistry degree checker here

Admissions test: UCAT, 3rd decile or above with 50:50 weighting

Resits: no

I've made the Barts dentistry 2021 entry thread, we'll see how that goes...:beard:

Thanks for this - which page is it that this stuff needs to go on? :smile:
The "Dentistry at University" page looks good, the general information about applying is still relevant, however the section on the UCAT (on the same page) needs to be updated:

It is now called UCAT rather than UKCAT

UCAT testing is from 03/08/20 - 01/10/20 this year

UCAS deadline needs to be amended to 15th October 2020 (rather than 2013)

Decision Analysis is now called Decision Making

Verbal Reasoning = 21 minutes, Decision Making = 31 minutes, Quantitative Reasoning 36 minutes, Abstract Reasoning 13 minutes, SJT = 26 minutes

Tests taken in EU = £75, tests taken outside EU = £120 (significant increase since 2013)

Also @04MR17, which sticky threads/ what info did you think needs going over? :smile:

I'll have a look at these now, thank you. :biggrin:

For stickies, I'm now sure how accurate this FAQ now is? :dontknow:
Same for this thread about work experience, and I don't know if anything in the OP of this thread needs changing? :colondollar:
Original post by 04MR17
Thanks for this - which page is it that this stuff needs to go on? :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15907-dentistry-entry-requirements
Sorry I should've added the link in :facepalm:

Edit: I'll have a look at the threads mentioned later on and get back to you :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15907-dentistry-entry-requirements
Sorry I should've added the link in :facepalm:

Edit: I'll have a look at the threads mentioned later on and get back to you :biggrin:

That particular page is one that I can't edit, what I'm going to do is copy and paste all the info into a post on here, and then reformat it into prose rather than a table, then I'll edit the correct info for Barts and we'll see if we can get hold of the other entry reqs & info before getting the the article itself. :grin:

So worries, thank you. :heart:
The FAQ thread has some sound advice. There isn't really much to edit except 3 points

UKCAT is now UCAT (might confuse some newer applicants)

The FAQ lists work experience as 4 weeks recommended, but that might stress some applicants out. Since most universities specify a minimum of 2 weeks (if they specify at all) maybe we can amend that? Also, I'd probably put a little disclaimer in there that different universities have slightly different work experience requirements so it's always best to check on their websites

I think adding this link about interview prep might be a good idea under the "How do I prepare for interview" question

Its a really good FAQ though overall, it's a shame the last time anyone posted was 2 years ago :frown:

P.S. I don't mind doing the editing myself if I'm allowed to :colondollar:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6649138

Just posting this on here so I can refer back to it later, ecolier suggested a dental version of the above thread would be a good idea...I can create a list whilst I collate data on the other universities if it’s given the green light :smile:

Also a dental version of this
(edited 3 years ago)
KCL - Dentistry entry requirements
done

done
done
(edited 3 years ago)
The FAQ thread has some sound advice. There isn't really much to edit except 3 points

The FAQ lists work experience as 4 weeks recommended, but that might stress some applicants out. Since most universities specify a minimum of 2 weeks (if they specify at all) maybe we can amend that? Also, I'd probably put a little disclaimer in there that different universities have slightly different work experience requirements so it's always best to check on their websites

I think adding this link about interview prep might be a good idea under the "How do I prepare for interview" question

Its a really good FAQ though overall, it's a shame the last time anyone posted was 2 years ago :frown:

I'll do the editing for this tomorrow :wink:
Thank you though! And I agree that it's a very useful thread, I'll see what can be done about getting more views on it. :yy:

Done these :thumbsup:
This thread on work experience is sound, no problems here :smile:
For this OP , the first link is to the wiki page which we're currently working on, the second link is the work experience one mentioned above (all good) and the third is the FAQ thread (also all good), so I just need to crack on with reviewing and collating new info for the wiki page :thumbsup:

Also just a heads up, the links in the contents table on this page don't work
(edited 3 years ago)
This thread on work experience is sound, no problems here :smile:
For this OP , the first link is to the wiki page which we're currently working on, the second link is the work experience one mentioned above (all good) and the third is the FAQ thread (also all good), so I just need to crack on with reviewing and collating new info for the wiki page :thumbsup:

Also just a heads up, the links in the contents table on this page don't work

Yeah once the page is converted over to the next format there shouldn't be a contents table at all. :smile:

Sounds awesome regarding stickies. :grin: I'd forgotten I made some edits. :oops:
@04MR17 that's the dentistry requirements done (finally) :thumbsup:

You are an incredible human being. :adore::adore::adore:

If I haven't responded to this by end of play Thursday please give me a poke. :redface:
This page on the Dentistry Wiki about Work Experience has sound information, only thing to point out is that the links provided either redirect back to the same page or come up with a 404 error, so probably just best to take them out.

For the table at the end of the page, I've gathered the more up to date requirements for the following dental schools:

Barts (QMUL):
"Selectors will expect that candidates can demonstrate some knowledge about a career in dentistry and have gained (some) work experience in a relevant setting. However, while this may be a useful indicator of motivation, it must be seen in the light of opportunities available to the applicant. Occasionally, potentially good applicants apply with little or insufficient work experience. Exceptional applicants may be offered a place conditional on them completing relevant work experience and producing evidence of this to the Student Recruitment and Admissions Office. Such work experience will be assessed by the appropriate Academic Lead before the offer is confirmed. In general, all potential applicants are strongly advised to do sufficient work experience before applying."

KCL:
"We would normally expect that applicants will have undertaken some voluntary work experience in a caring/health environment and/or observation in a dental clinical setting. It is important for applicants to have a realistic appreciation of what a career as a health professional involves. Any voluntary contribution to your community is taken into account, eg volunteer in a care home. We look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public e.g. in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant."

Bristol:
"While not a requirement for the course, we would suggest that applicants have a minimum of two weeks’ work experience. Suitable work experience and subsequent reflection is important to inform an applicant about their potential vocation and what a career in healthcare entails. Applicants may be asked to reflect upon work experience during MMIs. We recognise that not all applicants are able to obtain clinical work experience, but encourage applicants to seek out opportunities to work with the public in a customer service role, or volunteering in a care or health environment (nursing home, local hospice, shelter for the homeless, working with people with disabilities or special needs), or youth group. We are aware that many of applicants will have been unable to undertake work experience during the coronavirus crisis. Please be assured that we will be taking the situation into account and you will not be penalised should your ability to gain relevant work experience have been adversely affected. We encourage applicants to seek opportunities to develop their awareness of the role of a medical practitioner, and the skills and attributes required of such roles through means such as online research, supporting their families and communities, etc."

Cardiff:
"The School recognises that opportunities for certain types of work experience and participation in some non-academic activities will vary according to individual circumstances, including an applicant's cultural or socio-economic background, or the activities available in their local area. Therefore, selectors are not prescriptive about the ways in which the non-academic selection criteria may be demonstrated but, where asked for, it is expected to be shown and documented as necessary."

Manchester:
"We require applicants to undertake some relevant work experience prior to application in order that they can gain some insight into what the role of a dentist involves.
Work experience may be paid or voluntary and should include some time spent in a dental setting but can also include examples from other healthcare and related environments. We do not have a requirement on the length of the work experience. We require applicants to demonstrate a commitment to their work experience placements."

Newcastle:
"A minimum of 10 days “relevant work experience” must have been obtained this must be appropriate for the course applied to); where possible this should be within various fields of dentistry, evidence of teamwork and leadership, personal achievements, voluntary and/or mentoring activities, paid or unpaid work."

Liverpool:
"Evidence of work experience required."

Birmingham:
"In order to appreciate the career that a BDS degree will prepare you for, usually it is essential that all applicants carry out work shadowing within a dental practice setting and we would normally require at least 3 days work experience. For applicants applying for study in 2021 we are aware that work experience and voluntary placements have been cancelled.
We appreciate that volunteering within a community setting may have been impossible since March 23rd 2020, therefore this will no longer be a requirement for 2021 entry. However, if you have been able to complete any voluntary placements either before this, or have been able to volunteer remotely in any capacity since 23rd March 2020, please do detail this on your UCAS form. We want to reassure you that if you are unable to gain experience of work in a healthcare setting because of the impacts of COVID-19 you will not be at a disadvantage in our selection processes. We're considering very carefully all of the implications of COVID-19 on our admissions processes and we will provide updated guidance as soon as we are able."

Glasgow:
"For entry in September 2021 we are not asking applicants to carry out work shadowing. In an effort to keep things as straightforward as possible whilst there is so much uncertainty around, we will not be replacing this with any additional requirements.
We do realise that this will mean a huge change to personal statements, particularly with the cancellation of many other extra curricular activities, our BDS person specification contains a list of the attributes we look for at interview and we do hope that the majority of applicants will have alternative experiences, outwith a dental environment that they can draw on to demonstrate these attributes."

UCLAN Graduate Entry:
"Work experience within Dentistry; we recommend a minimum of two weeks shadowing experience in an NHS General Dental Practice. However, in general, the more dental work experience an applicant has the better their understanding is of dentistry as a career as well as broadening their knowledge of current dental issues."

Aberdeen Graduate Entry:
"We expect candidates to have participated in appropriate work experience to find out what a career in dentistry entails. It is important for students to inform us of what they have learned from this research, rather than just list their experiences."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

It's quite lengthy, but I think it's important to include the entire quotes as they answer a lot of the dental work experience (WE) FAQs I've seen on here like "does volunteering count" or "will dental schools consider that the pandemic has affected my work experience?" etc, so it might be worth creating a separate page with the WE table and providing a link for it in the original WE wiki page if it becomes too long?
Manchester - Dentistry Entry Requirements

Standard Manchester BDS:

done
done
(edited 3 years ago)
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest