The Student Room Group

Going to a different uni to my girlfriend but it’s REALLY close

Everyone seems to advise breaking up with your partner before university and I can understand that if it's super long distance. Luckily for me and my gf we are only 20 minutes away by train on a very regular route. Do people still advise breaking it off? I really like her and to be honest I’m just looking for encouragement to keep it going.
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone seems to advise breaking up with your partner before university and I can understand that if it's super long distance. Luckily for me and my gf we are only 20 minutes away by train on a very regular route. Do people still advise breaking it off? I really like her and to be honest I’m just looking for encouragement to keep it going.

No need to break up - I have friends who got together at school and are still together post uni and now married.
Why break up if you really like her and want to stay together? :biggrin:

I’ve never understood the ‘you must break up before uni or it’ll be a disaster’ logic; I’m certainly not going to break up with my partner next month! I know people at unis 1hr or so on the train apart, and they see each other most weekends and have been happy in their first year at least.

:goodluck:
Reply 3
Absolutely no need to split, and I don't get this 'break up before uni' thing either. If it's someone's intention to go to uni and sleep around, well, you form your plans to go to uni far enough in advance that you shouldn't get involved with anyone before that. If it's over distance, I find that incredibly lazy. My boyfriend and I being in the Armed Forces once meant we didn't see each other for a year; we're talking an LDR of 1000s of miles and limited comms, but we stuck it out.

My word of caution is don't go rushing to meet each other too often and make sure you both get involved in clubs and societies, sports, volunteering, whatever activities are on offer that you want to try and are of interest. Make the most of the opportunities available and don't miss out on new experiences and boosting your CV. Your relationship will survive if you don't see each other for 3 or 4 weeks.

Well done on uni and all the best to you both!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending