Yr12Retake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Going into yr13 this year and I’m still not 100% certain what I want to do. I’ve narrowed my options down to two, either paramedic science or anthropology. With my a levels of Psychology, Biology and Chemistry I reckon I could apply for either
The reasoning behind paramedic science is that it’s a pretty much guaranteed job with a decent salary, although I feel like I’ll be boxed into the career if I end up disliking the job, since the unis that do it aren’t the greatest and therefore much more difficult to gain a graduate role, not to mention it’s a vocational course. Also I know that the hours are often long including night shifts although I do reckon the job sounds exciting
On the other hand you have anthropology, which looking through it does seem like something that’s interesting and complements my subjects well, although I won’t be guaranteed a job like with paramedic science, there is the prospect of graduate schemes especially if I end up at UCL or lse etc, and Knowing myself I would like to explore different options such as law, civil service, banking, consulting etc, which I reckon can only be found with anthropology and not paramedic science
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yr12Retake)
Going into yr13 this year and I’m still not 100% certain what I want to do. I’ve narrowed my options down to two, either paramedic science or anthropology. With my a levels of Psychology, Biology and Chemistry I reckon I could apply for either
The reasoning behind paramedic science is that it’s a pretty much guaranteed job with a decent salary, although I feel like I’ll be boxed into the career if I end up disliking the job, since the unis that do it aren’t the greatest and therefore much more difficult to gain a graduate role, not to mention it’s a vocational course. Also I know that the hours are often long including night shifts although I do reckon the job sounds exciting
On the other hand you have anthropology, which looking through it does seem like something that’s interesting and complements my subjects well, although I won’t be guaranteed a job like with paramedic science, there is the prospect of graduate schemes especially if I end up at UCL or lse etc, and Knowing myself I would like to explore different options such as law, civil service, banking, consulting etc, which I reckon can only be found with anthropology and not paramedic science
Hello,

Firstly, I would probably say if you're only wanting to apply to a degree because of its direct link to job opportunities, it may not be the best option as you may be boxed in as you said, and may not be passionate enough to enjoy and then pursue the career. It may be best to take a more general degree, and then you could take additional training Later on to become a paramedic as there are other routes into it. Would taking an even slightly more job boosting degree such as psychology or one of the sciences or are you set on anthropology? That could definitely lead to law, banking etc, but maybe a degree more directly routed would be helpful if that is your end goal.

Sophie - Official Student Rep
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It seem you like anthropology more but are scared of the prospects after it compared to paramedic science. Even though it's important to look at what jobs are available after your career don't let that put you off completely as not only are you doing it for a degree but being a paramedic will be your job after. I was like you and debating between a degree in nursing or neuroscience bc I thought I am guaranteed a job in nursing as compared to neuro. However, I know personally a career in nursing wasn't for me and my heart wanted to do neuroscience. I'm not saying this is the case for you but just think about what you enjoy. I know you can't visit unis but try using unibuddy to talk to students taking anthropology and paramedic science, email unis you're interested in and get a feel for what the unis are like.

https://www.ucas.com/chat-to-students
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.51%
I'm not sure (26)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (181)
31.26%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.07%
I'm not a current university student (276)
47.67%

Watched Threads