Kvitravn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Not entirely sure if this isn going in the right place, I'm not too familiar with the layout of TSR!

Anyway, are there any other applicants for Anglo Saxon, Norse and Celtic 2021 entry? I thought I would start a thread just in case.

If anyone is, feel free to share any personal statement advice and A Level grade predictions as well as reasons for wanting to study ASNC! It would be nice to see other applicants!
Kvitravn
Rep:
?
(Original post by DantheHistoryman)
Hi, I am applying to ASNC. Are you finding it hard to write a personal statement for ASNC and for other courses at university? Also why do you want to take it HAYDSTHEBED.
I've managed to write a personal statement that seems reasonably relevant to all the courses i'm applying for. I really like the interdisciplinary nature of the course - I'm really attracted to the languages.
Kvitravn
Rep:
?
For my personal statement I have managed to intertwine the combined course of history/English, which I want to take at other unis, with ASNC quite well and have made it clear that my passion for these sort of subjects comes from as you said the interdisciplinary nature. I came across ASNC simply because I love history and coincidentally my favourite area of history is the medieval age, in particular the Viking age and Anglo Saxon England. I didn't even know that ASNC was a subject until about 3 months ago and I have been interested in this period of history since year 9 so when I found it I just knew that this was the course I wanted to do. I am really intrigued by the language side but it most certainly won't be my strongest as the history and literature are what I have looked into and even done coursework and extended projects etc... on. Just out of curiosity what A-levels do you take?
I take English Lit, History and Politics. What about you?
DantheHistoryman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
also I'm quite surprised by the lack of forums on here for ASNC, I suppose it isn't too popular of a subject.
Sargeant12344
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does anyone know anything about how the interview is conducted?
Kvitravn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
i honestly have no idea! i am glad though that we don't have an admissions assessment because I suppose that's going to be even more perplexing
Sargeant12344
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by HaydsTheBed)
i honestly have no idea! i am glad though that we don't have an admissions assessment because I suppose that's going to be even more perplexing
From what I understand, what would be the admissions assessment is partially incorporated into the interview as you have to discuss a historical source with them, when for History you discuss such a source in your assessment.
Kvitravn
Rep:
?
yes i assumed it would be along the lines of that... perhaps extracts of sources like Bede/Gildas or stories. Also stuff to test linguistics I reckon - I don't have a GCSE foreign language so I'm expecting something haha
DantheHistoryman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sargeant12344)
Does anyone know anything about how the interview is conducted?
I was told by my school that it is unlikely that we will go to Cambridge for the interviews and that they will be done virtually. This to me seems slightly less intimidating and less nerve-wracking. Within the interview they will most likely give us a historical source to look at but it really won't be difficult at all and its only to see how our brains respond and think. They most definitely won't ask us challenging questions but will want us to discuss and strike up a conversation surrounding our interests - e.g if we have put something in our personal statement referring to something we have read they will expect us to talk about that. Either way if you are genuinely interested in this course then there will be absolutely nothing to worry about. Also, have you guys sent off applications yet and where else are you applying to?
Kvitravn
Rep:
?
I was told by my school that it is unlikely that we will go to Cambridge for the interviews and that they will be done virtually. This to me seems slightly less intimidating and less nerve-wracking. Within the interview they will most likely give us a historical source to look at but it really won't be difficult at all and its only to see how our brains respond and think. They most definitely won't ask us challenging questions but will want us to discuss and strike up a conversation surrounding our interests - e.g if we have put something in our personal statement referring to something we have read they will expect us to talk about that. Either way if you are genuinely interested in this course then there will be absolutely nothing to worry about. Also, have you guys sent off applications yet and where else are you applying to?
I sent off mine late September. I applied to St Catharine's at Cambridge. In terms of other courses, I applied to:

St Andrews (Ancient History & Medieval History)
Durham (Ancient, Medieval & Modern History)
Edinburgh (Ancient & Medieval History)
Lancaster (History)

In my SAQ I spoke about Old Norse, Medieval Latin, and the paleography strands that appeal to me. I couldn't fit in any of the reading i've done into it but I hope I could bring things into my interview if it's relevant, like King Harald's Saga
Sargeant12344
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I sent mine off a couple of days ago, and I also applied for History & English at Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Warwick. Wbu?
a6thformerofsort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
A bit late, I'm applying but my predicteds are AAC so I have no expectations lmao Would be really cool if I could get in, but the chances are admittedly very slim.... might just try and do well in my a levels and take a gap year, it's defo a dream course. I've always been interested in this kind of thing, I love epic literature, saxon stuff, etc, and have done so for ages so yeah, it looks like such an amazing course I was so shook when I relaised this is a thing you can actually study (I'm applying for English Literature elsewhere at Belfast and Glasgow) my A levels are English, History (that one Louis XIV and Empire course that no one seems to do) and Class Civ
Anyone else appyling for the smiliar courses at UCL and Aberdeen? (Viking studies and Anglo Saxon and Celtic studies respectively?
I'm really nervous! Who else is applying to Corpus (they have such an awesome drinking horn!! and library! I', trying to make a drinking horn atm but it's failing lol)
Last edited by a6thformerofsort; 9 months ago
a6thformerofsort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
oh, I also knew someone who applied last year, and they had to look at an extract of the anglo-saxon chronicle, in response to the interview question
Kvitravn
Rep:
?
(Original post by a6thformerofsort)
A bit late, I'm applying but my predicteds are AAC so I have no expectations lmao Would be really cool if I could get in, but the chances are admittedly very slim.... might just try and do well in my a levels and take a gap year, it's defo a dream course. I've always been interested in this kind of thing, I love epic literature, saxon stuff, etc, and have done so for ages so yeah, it looks like such an amazing course I was so shook when I relaised this is a thing you can actually study (I'm applying for English Literature elsewhere at Belfast and Glasgow) my A levels are English, History (that one Louis XIV and Empire course that no one seems to do) and Class Civ
Anyone else appyling for the smiliar courses at UCL and Aberdeen? (Viking studies and Anglo Saxon and Celtic studies respectively?
I'm really nervous! Who else is applying to Corpus (they have such an awesome drinking horn!! and library! I', trying to make a drinking horn atm but it's failing lol)
If UCL's viking course wasn't at UCL I would have done but I'm steering well clear of London lmao. I looked at Aberdeen's and I considered it but there wasn't a lot of information, I really like the course structure for ASNC at Cambridge
a6thformerofsort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yeah I wanted to stay clear of London too, but UCL's course was quite attractive, esp the year abroad in Iceland/learning modern Icelandic element

The Aberdeen course has zero info on it!! I do get that, it is quite annoying. I wasn't going to apply, but I met spoke to someone who had actually gone and done it, they had loved it, gave info on the professor who teaches it/is head of the depeartment thing (who did ASNC and I think was invloved with the depeartment at Cambridge). At first it looked a bit cobbled together (like one of those courses that is just there bcs why not that unis make), but it seems quite good... My other option was essex for literature and I didn't to apply there really
a6thformerofsort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yeah I wanted to stay clear of London too, but UCL's course was quite attractive, esp the year abroad in Iceland/learning modern Icelandic element

The Aberdeen course has zero info on it!! I do get that, it is quite annoying. I wasn't going to apply, but I met spoke to someone who had actually gone and done it, they had loved it, gave info on the professor who teaches it/is head of the depeartment thing (who did ASNC and I think was invloved with the depeartment at Cambridge). At first it looked a bit cobbled together (like one of those courses that is just there bcs why not that unis make), but it seems quite good... My other option was essex for literature and I didn't to apply there really
But I agree, the ASNC course looks way better, and better structured.
Kvitravn
Rep:
?

a year abroad in iceland????!!!!! i'm also a bit worried they're gonna interrogate me on my language skills bc i dont actually have a foreign language gcse or a level but I have taught myself a good amount of Swedish which I spoke about in my personal statement as to how it links to Old Norse and might somewhat help
a6thformerofsort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by HaydsTheBed)
a year abroad in iceland????!!!!! i'm also a bit worried they're gonna interrogate me on my language skills bc i dont actually have a foreign language gcse or a level but I have taught myself a good amount of Swedish which I spoke about in my personal statement as to how it links to Old Norse and might somewhat help
Don't be worried, you taught yourself Swedish that's so brill and proactive! I'm teacing myself Old English atm (aka: learning the memrise course), I've got sweets primer but it makes zero sense lol. What are your predicteds? I guarantee you, fret not: you almost certainly have a better chance than me

And Ikr??? Iceland?? A year abroad????????? Yes please! I want to go to Iceland so badly...
Kvitravn
Rep:
?
Don't be worried, you taught yourself Swedish that's so brill and proactive! I'm teacing myself Old English atm (aka: learning the memrise course), I've got sweets primer but it makes zero sense lol. What are your predicteds? I guarantee you, fret not: you almost certainly have a better chance than me

And Ikr??? Iceland?? A year abroad????????? Yes please! I want to go to Iceland so badly...
I love memrise so much!! I've done their first Icelandic course but then I realised they haven't continued it as much as other languages. It's a shame not many other resources are out there for Icelandic. Whereabouts are you from? I live in Leeds but study in York
And my predicteds are A*A*A* but getting them is an entirely different story... my mental health is suffering a lot so I think I'll be happy with just aiming for the minimum. If I don't get into Cam I'll hopefully get into St Andrews where my offer will be ABB bc of contextual stuff too
a6thformerofsort
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Also, only like, 45 (ok, maybe not that few..) people apply to ASNC a year, and I'd bet money a good proportion of the 15-25 people who don't get in are the victims of those teachers that are like "don't do what you actually want to do, do a small course like asnc just to get into oxbridge". If you meet A*AA and are passionate, you have a whopping great chance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads