The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures IV

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

looking forward to reading this :smile:
Reply 2
Very noice.

Hopefully there's enough of a challenge so that you enjoy the content more than last year but not so much that you don't meet the % you want. Essay topic looks pretty interesting
Oh, I didn't know you had a GYG! And a 90% is really impressive omds (knew u were a nerd) :eek:
Can I get a tag? (:
Original post by absolutelysprout
looking forward to reading this :smile:

Hope it doesn't disappoint!
Original post by Sinnoh
Very noice.

Hopefully there's enough of a challenge so that you enjoy the content more than last year but not so much that you don't meet the % you want. Essay topic looks pretty interesting

This year I should be able to start on a bit of third year stuff which is where it gets very interesting. Particularly looking forward to doing Manifolds/Riemann Surfaces once I've covered enough background. Yeah, need to learn the theory behind it first though. (I finished norms, metrics and topologies over the holiday but BCT wasn't lectured this year so I don't actually know how messy the details might be)

Original post by Synergy.x
Oh, I didn't know you had a GYG! And a 90% is really impressive omds (knew u were a nerd) :eek:
Can I get a tag? (:

You haven't missed much and thanks. :tongue:

Yeah sure!
(edited 1 year ago)
So excited for your academic journey :woo:
Oh I forgot to mention that there's going to be group projects. Exactly why I'm not entirely sure, I think it's to take weight off the exam in case they're online again. Not sure how big the groups are or any specifics - but I'm not sure I'd be anyone's first option to work with so I may just do them by myself if there's no presentation component. I'll put all the weightings in the OP.
hello warwick person

also a warwick person tag me pls

Spoiler

Original post by neko no basu
hello warwick person

also a warwick person tag me pls

Spoiler

Will do
Reply 9
oh btw the title says IV but your post says

Welcome to le fifth GYG.

:hmmm:
Original post by Sinnoh
oh btw the title says IV but your post says

:hmmm:

I did one for GCSEs and hadn't yet adopted the UR title
Reply 11
Original post by _gcx
I did one for GCSEs and hadn't yet adopted the UR title

ahhh
your maths modules sound really cool:yep:
can i be tagged?:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by _gcx
Oh I forgot to mention that there's going to be group projects. Exactly why I'm not entirely sure, I think it's to take weight off the exam in case they're online again. Not sure how big the groups are or any specifics - but I'm not sure I'd be anyone's first option to work with so I may just do them by myself if there's no presentation component. I'll put all the weightings in the OP.

Who wouldn't want a partner that does the whole thing themselves in their group?
Original post by Toastiekid
your maths modules sound really cool:yep:
can i be tagged?:smile:

Yeah sure!

Original post by Sinnoh
Who wouldn't want a partner that does the whole thing themselves in their group?

Well if it's just like, groups of two I don't think I'm close enough to any straight maths people to be their first pick. If joint degree people also do these projects, then I possibly know one or two I could work with.
Thought I'd briefly summarise my first term modules:

Analysis III - split up about 50/50 real and complex analysis. The real side concentrates firstly on convergences of sequences (and similarly, series) of functions, introducing things like uniform continuity and convergence, and then Riemann integration. Slightly dry but very important. Reasonably confident with this stuff already, but may have to review proofs and the like. The complex side is infinitely more interesting. (I say this despite my planned essay being in real analysis) Complex functions (ie. functions CUC\mathbb C \supseteq U \to \mathbb C) turn out to have much nicer properties than real functions, and far less annoying counterexamples than you'd find in real analysis. There are nice methods to calculate line integrals of complex functions in the complex plane and these can be used to deduce values of real integrals. Unfortunately a lot of that is omitted from this module - eg. the notion of poles, residue theorem, etc. which ruined my first planned essay idea. (I'd have to use too much of the essay covering this stuff I thought) I initially wanted to do it on Mittag-Leffler expansions (infinite partial fraction expansions, generalising the decompositions found for rational functions) and show them off a bit by using them to show n2=π2/6\sum n^{-2} = \pi^2/6

Algebra I - looks very dry. I didn't really like Linear Algebra in first year, some of the vector spaces stuff was fun but it really wasn't that interesting and I dreaded learning the proofs. Luckily exams were cancelled but I still have to deal with this module. It doesn't look very long and I've heard it's fairly straightforward. As dry as it is, the content is essential for doing most pure maths past second year. Never done anything in this course before. I've done some linear algebra incidentally as part of reading in geometry and stats over the summer though but nothing very heavy.

Multivariable Calculus - Really the name is misleading - it sounds like a first course in vector calculus but that was what Geometry & Motion in first year was for. This is more like Multivariable Analysis, it basically seeks to generalise the analysis already done for functions in R\mathbb R to general functions RmRn\mathbb R^m \to \mathbb R^n. ie. first looking at sequences/limits/continuity of multivariable functions and then moving to their derivatives. Introduces some very powerful theorems like the Inverse Function Theorem & Implicit Function Theorem, and then finishes off with some discussion of (real) line integrals. Got about halfway through this in this holiday but I'll need a refresher.

Geometry - I love the look of abstract geometry and can't wait to study things like manifolds and Riemann surfaces as I said earlier. But the Warwick second year course focuses more on specific examples of geometries, like spherical, hyperbolic, projective, etc. which seems fine too but I'm disappointed you don't look at many generalisations. Spherical trigonometry is a bit confusing at first (you see sines and cosines of lengths, but that's actually somewhat natural when you consider the relation between angles and arc lengths of sectors of circles, etc.) but it's neat.

Statistics - The first part isn't much new, basically you're just reviewing stuff like a probability space, the concept of a random variable, moment generating functions, some common distributions. The new stuff starts with sequences of random variables and their convergence, then goes onto statistical inference with things like likelihood, hypothesis tests, confidence intervals, estimators. Stuff that's been seen before in passing, (eg. n1n - 1 vs nn in the formula for [the common estimate of] population variance is an example of eliminating bias in an estimator) in less formal contexts. Found it fairly straightforward so far and it should be a good one for high marks.

Computational Physics - As expected, programming for physics in python. Think the emphasis is more on the programming than the physics though. Starts with some statistics, goes on to some random numbers, (generating a random variable using a specific distribution and stuff like that) stuff with Monte Carlo simulation, then some numerical calculus with numerical solutions to DEs and integration/differentiation. Not sure this is much different to what's covered in A-level but maybe there could be some curveballs, and again the focus is on implementing these things and applying them to problems.

(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, can you tag me in this blog. I enjoyed your last blog :smile:
Original post by Rohan77642
Hi, can you tag me in this blog. I enjoyed your last blog :smile:

I'll be sure to tag you!
Logic and verification looks interesting and so do the analysis modules - are you a lot happier with the courses this year? The second year essay looks really cool; I've heard a bit about the Baire Category Theorem but I haven't studied much analysis or topology so I don't know a lot (hopefully I'll get time to read up on it at some point...). I think the first part is probably not too bad though? How long is the essay supposed to be?

Also can I be tagged this year? :smile:
:woo: here’s to another year :beer:

Quick Reply

Latest