The Student Room Group

Sixth Forms in North London

Hi :smile:
I'm going to year 11 and have been doing some research into sixth forms/colleges such as Dr Challoner's, Woodhouse etc
Are there any good sixth forms which you would recommend, preferably in north west London and areas outside (eg South Hetfordshire)?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’ve heard good things about Bishop Stopford’s School Sixth Form
Original post by RD_
I’ve heard good things about Bishop Stopford’s School Sixth Form

Okay. Thanks
wjat about north west my school is amazing. public school. its got such helpful and lovely teachers who look out for you and they acctually teach you even the assistant head finds time to help us if its not lesson. its rated outstanding on ofsted. the students are lovely except a few but there the overall minority. its called haydon and this year it was like 70% got into university and 24% got i to a russel group and 1 into cambridge. and the year before that ive heard also did extremely well when getting into top universitjes. its in the bourough of hillingdon and is in northwood/ruislip and very near watford and rickmansworth. depends where in north londo you live but if you live nearer west say harrow then its a very good sixth form to consider. i am going into year 11 but i really enjoy it there
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you :smile: When you say wjat, which school do you mean?
Original post by action123
Thank you :smile: When you say wjat, which school do you mean?

it was meant to be what (new account the other broke)
ahhh okay. Thank you
Bishop Douglass in East Finchley is quite good.
Reply 8
Hi :smile:
I'm going to year 11 and have been doing some research into sixth forms/colleges such as Dr Challoner's, Woodhouse etc
Are there any good sixth forms which you would recommend, preferably in north west London and areas outside (eg South Hetfordshire)?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I currently attend Dr Challoner's Grammar School and I would like to say that it is an amazing school. Every aspect of the school's community is great and the teachers and students were very welcoming.
Original post by umair288
I currently attend Dr Challoner's Grammar School and I would like to say that it is an amazing school. Every aspect of the school's community is great and the teachers and students were very welcoming.

Ah Yes! I've applied there. Not sure if I'll get in though
What grades do external students usually get ( for the conditional offer) ?
Ah Yes! I've applied there. Not sure if I'll get in though
What grades do external students usually get ( for the conditional offer) ?

For external students, the grades are generally quite high. First off, the school mainly accepts girls as it's an all boys schools before 6th form. The minimum requirement for external students is 64 I believe but I'm not 100% certain and most people who get meet the requirement do get a conditional offer. The conditional offer is usually just the schools subject requirements for the subjects you are applying for which can be found on the website and 6th form prospectus.

hiii,
i want to go there to study spanish, history, english lit and politics. Is the school good at humanities??? do they help with oxbridge? how is the boy and girl environment?? thank u sm x
For external students, the grades are generally quite high. First off, the school mainly accepts girls as it's an all boys schools before 6th form. The minimum requirement for external students is 64 I believe but I'm not 100% certain and most people who get meet the requirement do get a conditional offer. The conditional offer is usually just the schools subject requirements for the subjects you are applying for which can be found on the website and 6th form prospectus.

do they accept you even if you're not in the catchment area? x
Reply 13
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
hiii,
i want to go there to study spanish, history, english lit and politics. Is the school good at humanities??? do they help with oxbridge? how is the boy and girl environment?? thank u sm x

hi are u joining in sept?
Reply 14
do they accept you even if you're not in the catchment area? x

i applied this year and im not in catchment but i still got an offer. their oversubscription policy says that they prioritise the top 25 students who are in catchment, then the remaining 25-35 outside of catchment get an offer based on their ranking AND subject availability. so yes they accept you even if ur not in catchment but it is really really difficult and rare to get an offer that way given how competitive it is. when i got an offer, the email said that they only considered people who had a point score of 69+ which is crazy, however i know some people who got below 69 points but still got an offer because of their subject availabilty so you could get lucky too
if ur applying next year tho, the minimum points criteria could even rise to 70+ points so lock in just incase
good luck tho
Original post by miks_
i applied this year and im not in catchment but i still got an offer. their oversubscription policy says that they prioritise the top 25 students who are in catchment, then the remaining 25-35 outside of catchment get an offer based on their ranking AND subject availability. so yes they accept you even if ur not in catchment but it is really really difficult and rare to get an offer that way given how competitive it is. when i got an offer, the email said that they only considered people who had a point score of 69+ which is crazy, however i know some people who got below 69 points but still got an offer because of their subject availabilty so you could get lucky too
if ur applying next year tho, the minimum points criteria could even rise to 70+ points so lock in just incase
good luck tho

what did u apply for? and what did u get in all your gcses for mocks x
Original post by miks_
good luck tho

are you talking about the co-ed grammar school ? x
Original post by miks_
hi are u joining in sept?

no, im applying for 2025 x
Reply 18
what did u apply for? and what did u get in all your gcses for mocks x

for other schools i applied with history, math and philosophy but for dcgs specifically i applied with english lit, history, rs and spanish.
i got predicted 99999999 as my top 8 so dead on 72 points BUT i know someone who applied with the exact combo as me but with 65 points and they also got an offer so id say subject availability plays a factor
what subjects are u planning to apply with?
Reply 19
are you talking about the co-ed grammar school ? x

yes the co-ed grammar one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending